BFC Death Pool 2020

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: BFC Death Pool 2020

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:48 am

Both sides of this argument are wrong and encrusted in dogma. What is the correct coronavirus response? As an individual, you might be able to make it for yourself. But to make the decision for others...it’s a divide by zero.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby ROB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:19 am

Buzzsaw wrote:Both sides of this argument are wrong and encrusted in dogma.

There are not “both sides” to this argument.

There is epidemiology. And there is wrong.

There is some wriggle room inside epidemiology, but sure as shit not enough to make anyone north of “Jersey Shore really changed my life” to draw the conclusion that there is a whole other side.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Stupid is this:

Derp derp Coronavirus mostly kills with Co-Morbidities Remove the co-morbidities and the Flu kills more.

Then never realize that flu totals included "Co-Morbidities" before dipshits started covering up what was clearly a shitty response to a pandemic.

Subtract Flu co-morbidities and covid co-morbidities and you still have COVID being much more deadly the the flu.

Then you get the barely educated dipshits who say things like AIDS doesn't kill, only getting other infections or diseases while you have AIDS kills (seemed true at the start of the virus until thrush and Kaposis Sarcoma treatments got better and then they found people died of HIV alone as well).

A family friend of ours died two days ago in Wisconsin. He had the "co-morbidity" of being 78 and healthy but COVID killed him in 4 days.

My neighborhood in NYC is at less than 2% infection rate. At 2% my wife stays put and at 5% I stay put and only leave to take out the trash. Everyone wears a mask except for people who are obviously mentally ill and some teenagers talking on their phones while on the street. People wear masks outside. The infection rate used to be 35% in April.

Discipline works. It's not a matter of opinion.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Kurt wrote:Everyone wears a mask except for people who are obviously mentally ill and some teenagers talking on their phones while on the street.

Round these here monochrome, small town parts, you'll get less hassle for publicly admitting you hit your spouse than for not wearing a mask.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:13 pm

ROB wrote:
There are not “both sides” to this argument.

Let me clarify. The sides are maximum virus mitigation versus limiting all damage inflicted by virus mitigation protocols. Virus mitigation procedures obviously work very well in limiting the contagion. Distancing, masks, never shaking hands or hugging, avoiding large gatherings. Every sensible person agrees and the reduction in flu cases this year is good proof of that. The problem is that maximum virus mitigation is also extremely effective at causing massive economic collateral damage, destruction of generational businesses, food insecurity, unprecedented deficit spending, depression, hopelessness, related health problems, stunted educational development in children, and more. It also doesn't kill the virus.

The epidemiologists can tell us how to control the virus and we should listen to them. But virus mitigation is only one facet of public health, all be it an important one. Where to strike the balance has been left to political leadership around the world and so far there isn't a definitive correct answer. Whatever the choice there is significant downside.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby ROB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 pm

So now that we have established that epidemiology is not “encrusted in dogma...”

so far there isn't a definitive correct answer.

Define correct. You want NO economic damage? Then you’re just kind of silly.

We have plenty of countries with very differing policies to compare. Sweden vs NZ seems like a good place to start.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:31 pm

Hospitals are at half of what the IC wards can deal with.
ROB wrote: We have plenty of countries with very differing policies to compare. Sweden vs NZ seems like a good place to start.
Geographic situation is too different to compare NZ with pretty much anyone. Tired story, same with the "female leaders do it better" BS.

Asian countries with their containment approach vs the "shutdown and wait" thing the rest of us are stuck with, let's match those up. Whole contact tracing thing never gelled over here even after the first wave.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Buzzsaw » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:35 pm

ROB wrote:So now that we have established that epidemiology is not “encrusted in dogma...”

We have plenty of countries with very differing policies to compare. Sweden vs NZ seems like a good place to start.

Can’t yet. The game isn’t over yet. We don’t even know what quarter we’re in. Sweden ran out to the whistle’s shrill tweet without a helmet and pads while New Zealand is still hiding in the locker room. We don’t know yet. Can’t do a postmortem until you have a cadaver.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby ROB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:38 am

Buzzsaw wrote:
ROB wrote:So now that we have established that epidemiology is not “encrusted in dogma...”

Can’t yet. The game isn’t over yet. We don’t even know what quarter we’re in. Sweden ran out to the whistle’s shrill tweet without a helmet and pads while New Zealand is still hiding in the locker room. We don’t know yet. Can’t do a postmortem until you have a cadaver.

And 30k cases versus 3 is, in your mind, somehow conceivably a better place to be in the "1st quarter?"

That takes some epic, Trump-felching mental gymnastics.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:05 am

Too boring, Rob. New Zealand is a useful standard for no other country due to their unique position. They pulled up their drawbridge and now they’re locking people up in quarantine. And they have no antibodies in their population yet. And evidently no civil rights from what I heard the prime minister say.

AnywayWhy are you so nasty? I didn’t say anything personal. Are you drunk? Chronically sick from drink?
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby ROB » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:25 am

Now you only have to come up with derpy explanations for Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, and possibly fucking Wuhan itself. Yeah nothing to learn there cos maah freedumb!

Jesus, Victoria with a comparable size population to Sweden just wiped out a second wave. What's your excuse for that?

As for my general demeanour, I tried polite in this place for years. Never flamed once. Got me absolutely nowhere due to the "lie down with dogs" ethos, so here we are. Cunt.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ProzacElf » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:02 pm

Wow, I haven't been here in probably ten years, and it's all the same people sniping at each other!

It's like I came home.
"Who says kids always grow up to be like their parents? Look at me, my parents were hard-working honest people!" --Futurama
ProzacElf

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:57 pm

ProzacElf wrote:Wow, I haven't been here in probably ten years, and it's all the same people sniping at each other!

It's like I came home.

Welcome back.

I remember it was when RYP first started killing spammers and he saw "Prozac" and destroyed your account.

Whoopsie.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 pm

Kurt wrote:
ProzacElf wrote:Wow, I haven't been here in probably ten years, and it's all the same people sniping at each other!

I remember it was when RYP first started killing spammers and he saw "Prozac" and destroyed your account.
It is a good thing that was the only time his brash judgement impacted people visiting this here message-board...

Hiya ProzacElf!
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ProzacElf » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 pm

LOL. Hi guys! Just looking over the topics makes it look like we're all just as stupid as we ever were!

Glad to be back though!
"Who says kids always grow up to be like their parents? Look at me, my parents were hard-working honest people!" --Futurama
ProzacElf

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe