How is lockdown working where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby Bronco » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:40 am

I live in a small town, pop 250 up in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon. Only problem here is someone bought all the toilet paper at the local store and this weekend tons of campers showed up, bought up everything else and then filled up the National Forest campground. We have 161 cases in the State at the moment, 5 dead. The entire State goes on Shelter At Home status at 12 tonight. I hope that means those campers go home....They could be carriers.
Other than that, I'm happy being here and don't mind being left alone. We're actually making better contact with other people by phone than we did when we saw them personally. Our friends in the Medical establishment are braced, ready and concerned.
Wash you hands after reading this.
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby babihutan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am

Bronco wrote:I live in a small town, pop 250 up in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon. Only problem here is someone bought all the toilet paper at the local store and this weekend tons of campers showed up, bought up everything else and then filled up the National Forest campground. We have 161 cases in the State at the moment, 5 dead. The entire State goes on Shelter At Home status at 12 tonight. I hope that means those campers go home....They could be carriers.
Other than that, I'm happy being here and don't mind being left alone. We're actually making better contact with other people by phone than we did when we saw them personally. Our friends in the Medical establishment are braced, ready and concerned.
Wash you hands after reading this.

Sounds like a cool place. Here we just closed all organized parks. And I don’t get the whole toilet paper obsession, I spent months in Asia without and turned out ok......debatable.

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
snaark wrote:
ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Anyone sprouting any conspiracy theories about how its mainly the blue states in the US getting really hit by Covid?

I'm trying to spread a conspiracy theory that this is all a secret war between kids and boomers. COVID-19 was developed by Greta Thunberg and Fridays for Future in order to kill the old people who've fucked up the planet for them. But the oldies hit back by closing their schools, thereby denying them an education so that noone will believe anything they say. I'm not sure how the kids are going to retaliate, but my sources are telling me it's going to be big.

Apart from that I'm trying to have the name of the virus changed to "Pangolin's Revenge", because those two legged fuckers must be lauging their scaly balls of right now.

I thought it was bat soup. Anyways with the spring breakers I am guessing cases in Florida are about to skyrocket.

Yeah contrary to (not popular) belief, tiger penis soup won’t make Dung hung like Hank, and bat balls soup won’t give these fuckers any sort of special super hero abilities. I have no problem eating weird shit for practical reasons, but there is absolutely nothing practical about consuming not only endangered animals, but setting up these types of markets where this type of end result due to unsanitary conditions is inevitable, and a sizeable population pays big bucks based on superstition.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Farmdog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:58 pm

San Antonio, Texas,

Fifty one minutes into the Shelter In Place and things seem fine. I work in a NORTHCOM component so I have been aware of the risk since early January. We worked hard on planning, not a ton of interest from those outside of our organization. Family is unfazed so far, all doing well. On the plus side, I have a good size grape fruit tree, plenty of food, a surprising number of fine guns, and a new welder.
Farmdog
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:21 am

Farmdog wrote: On the plus side, I have a good size grape fruit tree, plenty of food, a surprising number of fine guns, and a new welder.

I have 3 vintage editions of Playboy, some spent AAA batteries, 4 odd socks and a mostly uneaten red apple.

Wanna trade?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 am

ROB wrote:
I have 3 vintage editions of Playboy,

Gotta love that hairy pussy huh?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby 2 Charlie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Living the dream with two more weeks of food and 110 hectares here in Western Europe near the next major outbreak.
"You can do it fast...you can do it cheap...you can do it right.....But you only get to pick two."
2 Charlie
Snortus Guinness

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:37 am

2 Charlie wrote:Living the dream with two more weeks of food and 110 hectares here in Western Europe near the next major outbreak.

Yes, I'm very jealous of my friends in Tanzania and South Africa who have big farms to run around during the quarantine period. Meanwhile I'm doing sprints in the underground car park or running up and down our 9 storey staircase here in Tunis!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:08 am

Aint you two lucky. I'm in quarantine for another 10 days. Food is horrendous.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:09 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Aint you two lucky. I'm in quarantine for another 10 days. Food is horrendous.

You're in Cyprus then? Who's in charge of feeding you?!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
rickshaw92 wrote:
You're in Cyprus then? Who's in charge of feeding you?!

A cunt!
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

lockdown working

Postby el3so » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm

First week is over.

Power, water and heating all good.
No horror stories from medical professionals.
Money 'll sort itself out.
Enjoying a bag of weed and 1TB worth of offline audio-visual stimulants, most of it not pron.

Seems like a good analogy for life itself, being oblivious to reality and watching other people getting fucked...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Bouncer » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:29 pm

So it's been a minute since I dropped by, so heya....

Was in Romania a bit after the lunacy started, poor Italian bastard in the hotel (there were like 8 of us in a 150 room hotel at this point) was well and truly fucked trying to get home. No way, no how for him. Me, I scampered off to Bucharest, then through Vienna to Dusseldorf and finally made it back to Spain. Been locked down as a mandatory quarantine in my house since, got about five days to go before I can go outside.

It's not bad where I am. Madrid is kinda fucked, but they're trying, and at least are turning the hockey rink into a morgue/body storage place and turning conference centers into medium level ICUs. By comparison, I'm watching the clusterfuckery that is the US Govt's response and I'm not at all surprised they managed to infect as many people in a month as the Chinese did in six. They just refuse to accept that the virus doesn't give two shits that America is "special in God's Heart" and so they won't do the necessary.

Granted, the death rate (so far) is lower, but that's just because they had more ventilators to start with and are willing to try and let people hang on longer. It's gonna spike like a motherfucker when they run out, and it becomes a choice of keep the no-hope on a ventilator longer or give it to someone with better chances (or better insurance, because hey hey, USA! Money is the way, all day every day!). It all makes one both cynical as fuck, and in a little bit of awe of socialized medicine. Sure, the rich always get better care, but at least the poor get decent care. In the US, the poor are seven kinds of fucked. The have to work when sick or lose insurance, lose the insurance and that's a goddamn death sentence OR if you do recover, you're in debt bondage like some sorta indentured servant for the rest of your life.

You know what a dude in Spain who survives ICU has to pay? Nada, or maybe a couple hundred euro. In the US? 80. Thousand. Euro. To keep his life. at 27% interest a year.

And Donald? Donald wants the churches packed in April. He's trying to send people to Jesus personally. It's the only thing that makes sense because fuck dude, you're gonna kill tens of thousands with your stupidity. The mind boggles.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
PS: Hope everyone here makes it out alive. Truly. There's a chance most of us, who spend time in second/third world countries, are gonna know people who didn't make it. That's just kinda the fact.
Carpe Cookius
Bouncer
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 am

The US just went form the bronze medal to the gold medal position in a day. That is scary. It was mainly NYC and the west coast but it looks like its moving south now.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Bouncer wrote:It's not bad where I am. Madrid is kinda fucked, but they're trying, and at least are turning the hockey rink into a morgue/body storage place and turning conference centers into medium level ICUs. By comparison, I'm watching the clusterfuckery that is the US Govt's response and I'm not at all surprised they managed to infect as many people in a month as the Chinese did in six. They just refuse to accept that the virus doesn't give two shits that America is "special in God's Heart" and so they won't do the necessary.

Granted, the death rate (so far) is lower, but that's just because they had more ventilators to start with and are willing to try and let people hang on longer. It's gonna spike like a motherfucker when they run out, and it becomes a choice of keep the no-hope on a ventilator longer or give it to someone with better chances (or better insurance, because hey hey, USA! Money is the way, all day every day!). It all makes one both cynical as fuck, and in a little bit of awe of socialized medicine. Sure, the rich always get better care, but at least the poor get decent care. In the US, the poor are seven kinds of fucked. The have to work when sick or lose insurance, lose the insurance and that's a goddamn death sentence OR if you do recover, you're in debt bondage like some sorta indentured servant for the rest of your life.

People in the US aren't getting infected faster than in China, it's just that the infections are only now being counted, because until 2 weeks ago there was hardly any testing being done. The headline infection numbers have very little meaning. The best way to estimate of number of infections is to multiply the number of deaths by 100 - 200. For the US, this would put the number at 130 - 260k. But this is the lower bound, because there is a delay between people showing symptoms and dying. But that will change quickly, as shown in Italy. The actual number of infected in Italy is probably over a million.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 pm

I gave myself a mohawk.

Have not "been outside" as in among people who are not my wife and this design intern from Germany that ended up living here with us (long story, decent guy as far as randos ending up in your house for the plague we got really lucky).

NYC is getting hit hard. Like Italy, Spain and China NYC digs cramped and crowded and I think that is a factor. My Nigerian wife digs "a compound" style arrangement and I think that is helping, however if she gets a Sickle Cell crisis it might be game over pretty fast. (awaits email from Penta telling me she is sorry about my wife and the quarentine but perhaps now is the time to let her back in so blah blah blah).

Now I am trying to anticipate what I need before everyone else does. I failed miserably on bleach, ketchup and ramen noodles but scored on booze, weed and dried yellow peas. We can live for long enough to wish we were dead on the amount of yellow peas I have.

When the isolation is done I am becoming Mormon up to the point of 3 months of food stored for each of us and whatever intern we end up with as well.

If anyone has a basic crossman pistol (like the single shot type, pump. The kind I used as a kid) to sell me and send me (they are illegal in NYC but I might want to eat squirrels if stuff gets bad) I can paypal you. cost plus some beer money.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe