How is lockdown working where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby Kurt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:02 pm

Ozymandias wrote:HOORAY! Tunisia is finally off the UK Red List! Plus the quarantine restrictions don't apply to vaccinated incoming passengers. Plus there's no more curfew here in Tunis. Everything is basically back to normal, apart from mandatory masks in certain places like malls or supermarkets.

Crazy how we had almost nobody vaccinated right up until August, then suddenly in one day they managed to smash out 550,000+ vaccinations (about 5% of total population!) So in only two months we have hit at least 8,540,640 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 36.5% of the country’s population.

Great progress!

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/tunisia/

That is fast.
Nigeria is getting them out too. Only Bokos and ISIL and their fanbois are opposing....but it is also hitting there now, mostly among large gathering mega churches.

How is mask wearing and distancing there?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:57 am

Mask wearing and distancing really aren't a thing anywhere apart from where they are strictly mandated (such as supermarkets). 100% compliance in supermarkets because security won't let you in without one and speak to you if you take it off once in. But you can go to cafes, bars, restaurants, nightclubs, cinemas etc. and not see a single mask.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:07 pm

Vax rate of 12+ year-olds sits at over 90% here. Masks came off 1st of October. Still have to wear one in hospitals. Show proof upon entering restaurant/pub/etc.

French speaking part does worse, some parts of Brussels a whole lot worse. Walloons 'll introduce covid-pass (vax, negative test, antibody thing) from 18th of October onwards. Sucks for them so large a part of their pop is smarter than the medical professionals.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:42 am

Just arrived in Angola and very curious to see all beaches closed due to covid, but most indoor places (bars, restaurants, cinemas) open! Annoying as I want to go surfing...
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:17 am

In the USA right wing radio hosts have been dying of COVID because they have not been vaccinated.

But, instead of saying "hmmm....prominent anti-vax and anti-mask personalities are dropping dead of the thing they say cannot kill people...maybe I should get a free vaccine?"

Nope. Instead they are claiming a Deep State bioweapon is targeting prominent conservatives.
The "more sensible" conservatives who are starting to wonder if their death rate will take them out of most elections by 2022 think that Liberals are using reverse psychology to murder them because they know they will do the opposite of what Liberals do.
So we got different kinds of conspiracies duking it out here. Meanwhile NYC infection rate is less than 1% again with the vax holdouts being Evangelical groups, Various Ultra Orthodox Jewish groups and about 40% of cops, but we do not have ICU or ventilator shortages.
In Iowa I know of three surgeries that have been postponed due to antivaxxers being cunts. One was an elective toe surgery....no big deal but another was for a serverely disabled son of a friend of mine who was scheduled to have a feeding tube installed (he is so disabled he aspirates his food and gets pneumonia often so it was a life saving procedure). I tried to host them in NYC but their insurance would not pay for transport outside an Iowa radius so they were stuck waiting to see if their son would live or die because of the weird Hellscape death cult created by anti vax idiots combined with our aweful health care system.
My dads cousin needed emergency heart valve surgery and couldnt get it for the same reason (also in Iowa) and COVID overflow removed his options from Minnesota as well. He got it done but it might have been too late. He is still hospitalized. So thanks anti-vaxxers!

In Nigeria my wifes Aunt died of COVID. She was the only anti-vaxxer in a household where everyone caught it at church but she was the only one who got hospitalized. She was improving a few days ago and went with that Ivermectin, zpack and hydroxy chlorquinine stuff. We talked to our uncle yesterday and he said her death was nightmarish and he had never seen such suffering since the Biafran war. She was very influenced by American Evangelicals and was one of the "African Angels" referrred to in that weird election prayer after Trump lost and was re ruited by her church to spread US election disinformation.
My wife's warnings of "these people dont give a shit about you Auntie" went unheeded.

Got my booster scheduled for tomorrow.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:07 am

I used to think I would spend some time living in the US. I would get a visa easily enough.

These days I have literally zero desire. It'll be a few week holiday at best.

I mean, we have fuckwits here too, but we manage to keep them suppressed enough most of the time.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:55 pm

ROB wrote:I used to think I would spend some time living in the US. I would get a visa easily enough.

These days I have literally zero desire. It'll be a few week holiday at best.

I mean, we have fuckwits here too, but we manage to keep them suppressed enough most of the time.

A bunch of you moved to NYC after your Government supported Bush's war. You got work visas easily as part of the deal. For a while there was even an Australian burger place here (the owner told me you guys use pickled beets on your burgers and I found out I really like that).

Aside from the the increased risk of disease and having a bunch of fat people invite you to church, you would probably do better in some areas of the US than I would.

I am noticing parts of the US becoming like the Balkans when I was there in the 1990s. Similar language, similar culture but hate each other's guts. If you came to visit and I took you on a tour of the US I would be at risk in some areas but you would not. It would be better for a white English speaker who is not Canadian (often confused with US liberals) went off on their own to see the sites.

The problem with noticing what I see is that the people it is happening to have no reference point for it. They don't consider themselves The Balkans, they have never been anywhere so they don't see that Romania has superior infrastructure to ours and if told they would not really believe it anyway.

During the lockdown we were hosting a German man with a fashion internship and he really wanted to wait out COVID so he could go to Florida (not sure what the hell the deal is with Euros and Florida but it is thing for some reason) and Germany was offering free evacuations back home (many people in the US are not aware that the US was considered so shitty that European nations paid repatriation fees to get folks back safely) and I just told him that the shit will hit the fan. The US is a crazy place and it will get worse at least until the election, then if Trump wins it will get really bad and if Biden wins there will only be protections in places that want them and Florida won't be one of those places.

So he left and his parents still send my wife and I gift packages of food for our birthdays because we took care of their kid but mostly because we convinced him to leave.

So yep, don't bother. If I were you I wouldn't.

A good friend of mine moved to Sydney from Wisconsin about 10 years ago after getting married. These two years I have never seen anyone happier to not be here than he is.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Kurt wrote:the owner told me you guys use pickled beets on your burgers...

Oh fuck off we do not!
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 pm

snaark wrote:

Oh fuck off we do not!

Well, you should try it anyway as an American take on Australian food. Kinda like Chop Suey. Delicious, but not at all Chinese and 100% American (or Brazilian....depending on the style)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 am

Kurt wrote:
snaark wrote:

Oh fuck off we do not!

Well, you should try it anyway as an American take on Australian food. Kinda like Chop Suey. Delicious, but not at all Chinese and 100% American (or Brazilian....depending on the style)

I find interpretations are great.

Italian restaurants in Japan are actually really good. Nothing like Italy, but still really good.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:53 am

Kurt wrote:A good friend of mine moved to Sydney from Wisconsin about 10 years ago after getting married. These two years I have never seen anyone happier to not be here than he is.

What did he make of all the "save Australia from fascism" stuff that we saw in the US?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:07 pm

ROB wrote:
Kurt wrote:A good friend of mine moved to Sydney from Wisconsin about 10 years ago after getting married. These two years I have never seen anyone happier to not be here than he is.

What did he make of all the "save Australia from fascism" stuff that we saw in the US?

Same as you did. Weird. Stupid. Provincial grasp of the rest of the world. But he is from an area in Wisconsin where someone would have passed a hat around in a bar to collect money to save you all from Fascism or China.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:24 pm

Kurt wrote:
ROB wrote:

Same as you did. Weird. Stupid. Provincial grasp of the rest of the world. But he is from an area in Wisconsin where someone would have passed a hat around in a bar to collect money to save you all from Fascism or China.

Don't stop them. Beer doesn't buy itself.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:47 pm

ROB wrote:Beer doesn't buy itself.

Especially when it costs $12 a pint.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Well, it was a couple of "normal" weeks but now masks are back and lots of businesses are going to require a covid-pass upon entry. I stopped caring last year I guess.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe