How is lockdown working where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am

I'm based in Tunis and things have kind of lagged behind Europe, despite this country being filled with Italians / French people, and being very closely connected to both countries via air and sea links. Last night the President announced a curfew from 6pm to 6am every day nationwide, and deployed the military onto the streets to enforce it. As of tomorrow, the airspace if completely closed apart from repatriation flights until 4 April (when they will review and likely extend the ban). Anyone coming in has to self-quarantine for 14 days. This is in addition to the restrictions announced by the Prime Minister on Friday 13 March (copied below):

Despite all of this, not too much panic buying yet. The French were up in arms and protesting outside the French Embassy in Tunis yesterday, demanding to be repatriated. The government even deported 30 Italians for refusing to stay put during their 14 day quarantine period after entering the country...

How are things working where you are?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Re: How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:16 pm

Went out for beers last night and pub was not busy despite it being St. Paddys. Dunno bout London. I fly out to Cyprus for 6 months of UN duty and we will be quarantine.d for 2 weelk on arival. That's gonna suck.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm

I have heard that UK is going on lockdown as of tomorrow. Should be announced this evening. Watch this space!
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:15 pm

Sh!t is kinda coming to a standstill. No real curfew but people are getting into the self-isolation thing. Most working folks 'll be on gov benefits probably at the end of this week. Nothing to do but get into online echo chambers ;-)
That and being stuck inside with wife/husband and kids all day every day is what IMO 'll do lot of non-elderly and non-infirm people in instead of that disease.

It's gonna be interesting times the upcoming months.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Devlin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:25 pm

Large city on the west coast of Florida, all the bars are closed for thirty days. Most the of restaurants are doing take out or delivery. Some of them are doing very limited seating but these are more of the high end places. They have to have less then 50% of their normal capacity.

The supermarkets are running low but they are still being restocked at night for now.

The gas stations are good so far, but I worry what happens if the truck drivers start getting sick.

The local small businesses have been working well on Facebook to support each other and it feels as if people are trying to pull together to help.

In my neighborhood when hurricanes are coming everyone stops to check in on each other and that is starting to happen.

I am a cop as some of you know, we have been told to get ready to work 12 on 12 off shifts if needed. There is rumor that a large football stadium may be turned into some form of shelter or make shift hospital if needed.

The department is running low on gloves and the mask they ordered will not be in for three weeks.

This is going to be a very unique ride.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 am

Niagara Region, Canada. Restuarants and any places of assembly closed, I think even churches. My mom is in a nursing home and they have been locked down since Sat. Despite the above most places of work still open. Supermarkets were mainly well stocked except for a few things, Retards are buying up all the toilet paper.

Nothing like I have ever seen. Sorta like a hurricane, SARS, 911 and the 2003 blackout all combined and trebled in impact.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:37 am

We're not in complete lockdown yet but I think it's a matter of days. People are not really complying. They closed all children's playgrounds on the weekend but the one opposite us was still full of kids yesterday. This shit will only go away when people stay home. It took China 8 weeks of complete lockdown to stop infections. Europe isn't anywhere near as strict, not even in Italy. I'd rather get it over with now so we can all get on with our lives. The longer it takes, the worse the economic fallout.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Sydney. I had to go into the CBD today and it was dead - so people are self isolating. Schools are still going, but about 25% keeping their kids home voluntarily. Supermarkets empty of toilet paper, pasta, rice and meat. But easy enough to get fresh fruit, vegetables, bread etc. In general I think people are being pretty responsible with self isolating and social distance etc. So far all good. We have a reasonable supply of stuff at home so just trying to top stuff up and also a pretty good local community who I still think will help each other rather than go all Thunderdome on each other. Not much has formally closed but all sports etc basically cancelled and the local council is closing stuff like pools and libraries.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:14 pm

snaark
BFCus Regularus

lockdown working

Postby el3so » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Devlin wrote:I am a cop as some of you know
StPeteAustin, the punkrockingest cop ever.
The gas stations are good so far, but I worry what happens if the truck drivers start getting sick.
Yeah, gas stations and warehouses.
I'll be signing up for some volunteering soon, office work is even more meaningless than usual nowadays, might as well pitch in with the various actual skills I picked up over the years.
ReptilianKittenEater wrote:My mom is in a nursing home and they have been locked down since Sat.
Take care man.
snaark wrote: I'd rather get it over with now so we can all get on with our lives. The longer it takes, the worse the economic fallout.
Silly of me to have expected some more solidarity with fellow citizens from you.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: lockdown working

Postby snaark » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:50 pm

el3so wrote:
snaark wrote: I'd rather get it over with now so we can all get on with our lives. The longer it takes, the worse the economic fallout.
Silly of me to have expected some more solidarity with fellow citizens from you.

Eh? What exactly is your idea of solidarity?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:41 am

Anyone sprouting any conspiracy theories about how its mainly the blue states in the US getting really hit by Covid?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Southern Ontario here just starting to really realize this shit is real. In my opinion, people should be locked down, cause numbers grow here by the minute. Schools have been closed for a week, just recently closed bars, restaurants, churches etc, but many stores and businesses still open, people still at parks with kids, shopping etc.gotta love the spring breakers on the beaches in Florida.

My workplace is still going 100% and we work in live active sewers so it’s quite interesting, I’m trying my best to stay safe myself and the crew, life doesn’t pay the bills on its own. Big government bailout is coming soon. I’ve never used govt money, and if grocery stores dry up, plenty of wild edibles starting soon in the woods here. My neighbour and I are tapping a huge silver maple for maple syrup, getting about 15 litres a day of liquid, so we’ll see how good it turns out. I’m still looking forward to getting the mandatory stay at home order, as I would personally love nothing more.

In all honesty at least around my area, community has been great, this is a good time to say fuck off to all the non important things in life and focus on what’s good. I’ve been spending some time with my family in nature, showing the little ones cool stuff. It’s pretty neat to see Mother Nature reclaiming the environment.

On another note, I turned down a backpacking trip to Nicaragua with my buddy and just spoke with him, he’s been down there for a month and says life is good, he’s traveling around zero fucks given, and all is well!

As long as all those spring breakers from Daytona get marooned together on a desolate island, I believe all will be good. To the rest of you, may good health and the spirit for a new beginning be with you all!
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:56 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Anyone sprouting any conspiracy theories about how its mainly the blue states in the US getting really hit by Covid?

I'm trying to spread a conspiracy theory that this is all a secret war between kids and boomers. COVID-19 was developed by Greta Thunberg and Fridays for Future in order to kill the old people who've fucked up the planet for them. But the oldies hit back by closing their schools, thereby denying them an education so that noone will believe anything they say. I'm not sure how the kids are going to retaliate, but my sources are telling me it's going to be big.

Apart from that I'm trying to have the name of the virus changed to "Pangolin's Revenge", because those two legged fuckers must be lauging their scaly balls of right now.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:05 am

snaark wrote:
ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Anyone sprouting any conspiracy theories about how its mainly the blue states in the US getting really hit by Covid?

I'm trying to spread a conspiracy theory that this is all a secret war between kids and boomers. COVID-19 was developed by Greta Thunberg and Fridays for Future in order to kill the old people who've fucked up the planet for them. But the oldies hit back by closing their schools, thereby denying them an education so that noone will believe anything they say. I'm not sure how the kids are going to retaliate, but my sources are telling me it's going to be big.

Apart from that I'm trying to have the name of the virus changed to "Pangolin's Revenge", because those two legged fuckers must be lauging their scaly balls of right now.

I thought it was bat soup. Anyways with the spring breakers I am guessing cases in Florida are about to skyrocket.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe