How is lockdown working where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby el3so » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:21 am

Dabbi wrote: Handful of people have covid, there has been 1 death in the last six months
Sure, but this long dead American dude said something about freedom not being free.
I bet you are the kind of person that calls law enforcement if you see one of your fellow citizens commit acts that you deem a detriment to society, dangerous to themselves or others and/or illegal ;-)
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Dabbi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:55 pm

el3so wrote:
Dabbi wrote: Handful of people have covid, there has been 1 death in the last six months
Sure, but this long dead American dude said something about freedom not being free.
I bet you are the kind of person that calls law enforcement if you see one of your fellow citizens commit acts that you deem a detriment to society, dangerous to themselves or others and/or illegal ;-)

I bet you are the kind of person that sits at home in their stained underwear making assumptions and stupid grandstanding comments about people half way around the world from cultures they don't understand and then calls into c-span to complain about it.
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:16 pm

Dabbi wrote: I bet you are the kind of person that sits at home in their stained underwear making assumptions and stupid grandstanding comments about people half way around the world from cultures they don't understand
It's a stained bathrobe actually, the underwear is optional.
Dabbi wrote: and then calls into c-span to complain about it.
Nah, you can't do the "end it with a winking smiley" thing on air nowadays. People will think you are some kind of bigot.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby ROB » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:13 am

We're in for another 7 days.

Just cancelled the ski holiday.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:14 am

ROB wrote:Just cancelled the ski holiday.

Water skiing in Bonny Doon?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Buzzsaw » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:07 pm

Don’t forget to sing the Bonnie Doon song en route.
Buzzsaw
Gynecology Enthusiast

Postby sparrow » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:08 am

First day of reopening here. Patios packed everywhere. It's nice to see everybody out and about for a change. Weather couldn't be better for a day like this. And finally, a haircut for me tomorrow. Fantastic.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby ROB » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:56 am

snaark wrote:
ROB wrote:Just cancelled the ski holiday.

Water skiing in Bonny Doon?

DO NOT MOCK ME, SIR!
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:36 am

Things have really taken a turn for the worst here in Tunisia. We just got redlisted by the UK, and various other countries are now closing their borders to us due to the covid-19 situation here:

Tunisia's COVID-19 situation 'catastrophic': health ministry

Significant increase in patients has overwhelmed North African country's health system

Tunisia's health system has "collapsed" under the weight of the COVID-19 pandemic, the health ministry spokeswoman said on Thursday, describing the virus's affect on the country as "catastrophic."

On Tuesday alone, Tunisia recorded 9,823 cases and 134 deaths, its worst daily toll from the virus.

Hospitals in the North African country have seen a significant influx of patients over the past two weeks.

The country of approximately 12 million inhabitants has suffered nearly 465,000 cases and 15,735 deaths.

“The current health situation is catastrophic,” spokeswoman Nissaf Ben Alya said, in an interview with a local radio station.

"The number of cases has risen dramatically. Unfortunately, the health system has collapsed," she said.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/coronavirus/1625773262-tunisia-s-covid-19-situation-catastrophic-health-ministry

Ben Alya said hospitals are overwhelmed, and it is difficult to find available beds and oxygen supplies.

"The health situation will get worse if efforts are not united," she added.

Some bodies of COVID-19 victims have been left lying in rooms next to other patients for up to 24 hours, because there were not enough staff to organize their transfer to overstretched mortuaries.

The health ministry's Facebook page said special field hospitals set up in recent months are no longer enough.
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Without a global vax rate it will eventually be like there was no vaccination programs to begin with.

The problem with success in handling this epidemic is that success makes it easier to let their guard down. People in NYC are masking up again for being outside though the government is telling us we do not need to.

New York's infection rate is climbing again but it is still below 1% Hoping it stays low enough so Iceland still allows us in when September comes around.

Sucks about Tunisia spiking. So far Nigeria is doing well but I worry that everyone doing well may think that is the permanent state of infection and then get hit hard.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Europe seems to be divided now between East and West, the West (Spain, Portugal, Netherlands being worst affected) being in the early stages of another wave. The Netherlands got rid of all measures and as a result the number of daily infections went from 1500 on Monday to 7000 on Friday. Everything east of the Rhine seems to be stable for the moment. I'm off to the Balkans on Friday for 3 weeks. Hope I can get there and back before things get out of hand there too. At least I'm getting my second jab this week - this time with Biontech (as it's called in Germany) so I will be a "hybrid".
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:44 pm

Summer is bound to be a sh!tfest. Humanity will have to learn the hard way as per usual. Vaccination should blunt the mortality edge, hope the medical community had their r&r.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby el3so » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:04 am

Kurt wrote:Without a global vax rate it will eventually be like there was no vaccination programs to begin with.

The problem with success in handling this epidemic is that success makes it easier to let their guard down. People in NYC are masking up again for being outside though the government is telling us we do not need to.

Sucks about Tunisia spiking. So far Nigeria is doing well but I worry that everyone doing well may think that is the permanent state of infection and then get hit hard.
It has always been a numbers game. Guess most people lack the imagination to think it through, stack all the spare corpses like, consider the fallout among the medical people, hospitals doing no admissions for even a couple of days. Never stopped with the mask. Unlike wearing a condom, I don't really mind.

I hope you and yours get to travel Kurt!
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby el3so » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:10 am

Next week should get my second dose, no new superpowers yet.
There is a shift coming for the antivax crowd over here, media been ebbing for a while. Karen's gotta learn.
Everyone that matters is onboard with booster shots, it 'll be like a prostate check-up or using stool samples to detect colon cancer. Common sense albeit definitely infringements of privacy, ante being your health. Me, I never felt bad going nude if someone in a white coat asks me to, let alone whisper it in my ear.

Hindsight only partial but I can fully understand most/all the panic-mode lock-down measures. Anyone sane telling me about percentages of my population about to die off has my interest even in a video game, let alone real life.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:23 pm

HOORAY! Tunisia is finally off the UK Red List! Plus the quarantine restrictions don't apply to vaccinated incoming passengers. Plus there's no more curfew here in Tunis. Everything is basically back to normal, apart from mandatory masks in certain places like malls or supermarkets.

Crazy how we had almost nobody vaccinated right up until August, then suddenly in one day they managed to smash out 550,000+ vaccinations (about 5% of total population!) So in only two months we have hit at least 8,540,640 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 36.5% of the country’s population.

Great progress!

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/tunisia/
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe