How is lockdown working where you are?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: How is lockdown working where you are?

Postby el3so » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:12 pm

Dutch are shutting stuff down after 5PM from sunday onwards. Great.

11PM over here, for now. New variant means it'll get stricter fast. Oh well...
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:58 pm

New varient called Nu.

In the US people will say " really weird how there is always a new varient whenever there is (some percieved repression) then they die rather than getting a vax and create an additional breeding ground for virus mutations.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:17 pm

Heh, newspapers call it omicron here, sounds lot more ominous than "nu".
Kurt wrote: In the US people will say " really weird how there is always a new varient whenever there is (some percieved repression) then they die rather than getting a vax and create an additional breeding ground for virus mutations.
Doubt anyone here is a virologist but with the size of your population, maybe you'll have your own variants.

Fed government still a temp one over here, still following the neighboring countries measures, again playing catch-up. Vaccination levels on a more local level are near the mid nineties percent, other parts of our and neighboring countries/regions less so, borders haven't been closed for a long while. Actual government (and less debt) but still, playing catch up because anyone that gets elected to a position prefers popular over unpopular messages.
One of the experts kept wearing her mask, I like that but you can see they are getting sick about the role they are shoved into by the elected officials.

It's going to suck (again) for the medical people, rest assured pretty much everyone else will grumble about the whole measures thing like some grounded teenager.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby snaark » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:45 am

el3so wrote:Fed government still a temp one over here

Isn't the government of Belgium always temporary?

Things are seriously fucked up in Germany. This week saw nearly 100,000 cases in a day, so 3x the previous record. These are mostly concentrated in the east. Hospitals there are overflowing. The outgoing government responded in their usual very German way - with a new set of overly complicated rules with lots of formulas and indices that no-one really understands. Vaccination rate topped out at around 70%. Still plenty of hardcore antivaxxers that won't get the jab under any circumstances. Winter is going to be a shitshow.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:09 am

All seems normal for the most part in England.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:12 pm

I think we have had our own varients but they were no worse or better than the varients that spawned them.

And when the Nu varient hit. I pronounced it as "new". I am a reader reather than a pronouncer.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:51 am

Elected didn't listen to the experts, far-reaching measures now (schools closing, kids wearing masks). Adults throwing a sh!tfit, imagine being stuck in the trenches with this bunch of weeping (M/F) pussies...

Me, I'm doing fine.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Ozymandias » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:49 am

So the new variant has already screwed with my festive travel plans! I booked flights from UK to South Africa for the New Year's period about 48 hours before they announced the Omicron variant. Now battling to get a refund off the airline!

Hoping to fly back to UK in a few weeks for Christmas, but no idea if they'll bring in the whole 10 day quarantine hotel situation again...
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Ozymandias wrote:So the new variant has already screwed with my festive travel plans! I booked flights from UK to South Africa for the New Year's period about 48 hours before they announced the Omicron variant. Now battling to get a refund off the airline!

Hoping to fly back to UK in a few weeks for Christmas, but no idea if they'll bring in the whole 10 day quarantine hotel situation again...

When I have bought tickets recently I have paid about $50USD per ticket to refund or postpone.

But I have not had to claim this yet, so they may just be lying bastards trying to get $50 for nothing.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:53 pm

This Omicron variant is hitting NYC hard. I know 4 people who have it. 2 have "the sniffles" and would not have stayed home from work if they had not tested positive. Two have a fevers and massive fatigue but can breathe.

My wife and I are back in lockdown for a bit, getting food delivered and all that. The infection rate city wide is 11% and growing.

A guy I went to high school with but did not know just died from Omicron, but he was a vaccine denier apparently. Quite a shame. Apparently to add death upon death the "new thing" among COVID deniers is to claim that some of the more conventional treatments (Forget the name of it) cause renal failure...but death causes renal failure too.

The hope is that hyper transmissible variants evolve to become like the common cold, however that is just speculation. The G7 countries (and China and Russia) should have removed the patents from their vaccines and let the rest of the world produce them. If we had done that in the beginning there probably would not be an Omincron to speculate about.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 pm

Guess it's not much of a season to be jolly for some, counting my blessings here, health, shelter from the elements, belly full and all the loved ones alive and well.

Lock-down measures in place, booster campaign rolling out, politicians still playing catch-up.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:15 pm

21% infection rate in NYC.
Vaxxed and boosted people are getting it but the rumor is that none of them are ending up on oxygen.

So Kudos to former President Trump for touting the vaccines in his interview with Candace Owens. The media said after the interview that 75% of his unvaxxed supporters still were not getting the vaccine.
Of course that means that 25% are planning on getting it, who normally wouldn't have.

Not a fan of Trump but I am not ignoring those numbers either.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe