COVID-19

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: COVID-19

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu May 07, 2020 2:56 am

I wouldn't be giving MJK the gears on this. There is still a chance the shit could go really sidewise.

Heck I'm stocked up for at least a month, maybe 3 months if I don't get fussy and have to live on liquor.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote: maybe 3 months if I don't get fussy and have to live on liquor.

Nah man, that stuff is for medical emergencies only. Like having to drink tonic or tomato juice ;-)
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Sat May 09, 2020 3:55 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:I wouldn't be giving MJK the gears on this. There is still a chance the shit could go really sidewise.

I'd say its already pretty fucking sideways. Theres nothing wrong with having a few extra packets of whatever in the cupboard, but stockpiling months worth of food is unnecessary and pretty pointless. Stockpiling ammo to protect aforementioned food is just paranoid. Better off putting some savings aside for things that might actually happen, like losing your job...
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Sun May 10, 2020 12:01 am

Like I have said several times, I bought the ammo because it was on sale and will only become more expensive over time. If things unravel my pistol won't be enough to secure my stuff; me and my neighbors pulling together might. As for stocking up a couple of months food, right now there is no chicken, no pork save bacon and very limited beef available at Fred Meyer or the local co-op. Also no pasta or flour. Safeway still has them because they are not cost competitive and do 1/4 the biz Freddies' does. Once Safeway is out, where will more meat/flour/pasta come from? Nobody is planting; farmers are euthanizing cattle, chickens and pigs because they cannot afford to keep feeding them with no processing centers to deliver them to. The closed border will mean what is planted may not have anyone to harvest it. Nobody is going to be ordering corn, beets and tomatoes for pick up at your local agrofactory.

I do not understand why these things do not register with you. Even Germany will feel the pinch especially once the latest outbreak of swine fever finishes off Poland's pigs and heads west for the summer. Merkel can print money but not food. With protein in short supply, even vegetarians will suffer as everyone hoovers all the produce up to stay fed. Even estrogen rich(18,000 percent more estrogen than a regular burger) ImpossibleBurgers will spiral out of sight in cost. I am very curious as to why you think this won't matter but I do not expect an answer. It is like the neighborhood is in flames and you are poking fun at me for wasting my time standing in front of my house with a fire hose.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sun May 10, 2020 3:06 am

Also it's not unusual for Alaskans to make shopping trips in monthly intervals.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon May 11, 2020 4:26 pm

snaark wrote:Theres nothing wrong with having a few extra packets of whatever in the cupboard, but stockpiling months worth of food is unnecessary and pretty pointless(...) Better off putting some savings aside for things that might actually happen, like losing your job...

But from an economic point of view, wouldn't buying months' worth of foodstuffs actually counter the effect of inflation "some savings" are bound to be impacted by?
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby snaark » Mon May 11, 2020 7:26 pm

Eh? Where exactly in the developed world is there inflation right now? Most of Europe is tending towards deflation. I think you should be home schooling yourself.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 pm

MJK wrote:Like I have said several times, I bought the ammo because it was on sale and will only become more expensive over time. If things unravel my pistol won't be enough to secure my stuff; me and my neighbors pulling together might. As for stocking up a couple of months food, right now there is no chicken, no pork save bacon and very limited beef available at Fred Meyer or the local co-op. Also no pasta or flour. Safeway still has them because they are not cost competitive and do 1/4 the biz Freddies' does. Once Safeway is out, where will more meat/flour/pasta come from? Nobody is planting; farmers are euthanizing cattle, chickens and pigs because they cannot afford to keep feeding them with no processing centers to deliver them to. The closed border will mean what is planted may not have anyone to harvest it. Nobody is going to be ordering corn, beets and tomatoes for pick up at your local agrofactory.

I do not understand why these things do not register with you. Even Germany will feel the pinch especially once the latest outbreak of swine fever finishes off Poland's pigs and heads west for the summer. Merkel can print money but not food. With protein in short supply, even vegetarians will suffer as everyone hoovers all the produce up to stay fed. Even estrogen rich(18,000 percent more estrogen than a regular burger) ImpossibleBurgers will spiral out of sight in cost. I am very curious as to why you think this won't matter but I do not expect an answer. It is like the neighborhood is in flames and you are poking fun at me for wasting my time standing in front of my house with a fire hose.

Man you're paranoid. It must suck to be you.

And by the way, Angela Merkel doesn't print money. Euros are printed by central banks under the supervision of the ECB.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Tue May 12, 2020 1:38 am

Yes I am, and in many ways, yes it does suck to be me. And you are right, Merkel doesn't print. She wishes she could though; let's see where it all goes as the EU gets ready to sue Germany and the Germans get sick of carrying water for the non producers in the EU now that 'shit has gotten real'. Good catch; totally tangental and peripheral to the subject but worthy of a participation trophy.

I guess I need to point out yet again that you have not answered my simple questions even though I extended you that courtesy. What do you think will replace the food not being grown or raised and where will it come from? Where will the soy, rice cakes and tofu that fuel your answer free responses come from? The sound of crickets chirping is being drowned out by the noise made by para-Biblical numbers of locusts eating what little is being produced from Johannesburg to the Suez and beyond...
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 am

Seriously where do you get this shit from? Is there a Conspiracy Theorists Digest that you subscribe to?

And why do you suppose things aren't being planted? Farms here are working normally and, notwithstanding a few initial disruptions, supply chains are holding up just fine. So your question is mute and not really worth answering.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Tue May 12, 2020 9:30 pm

*sigh*. Everything I posted in this thread is as checkable as fact as anything can be today. In March, Germany's Minister of Agriculture Julie Kloeckner stated that the CervezaVirus represented a major threat to the German and global food supply chain. The UN itself stated the world food supply chain is in peril. Tyson Foods, which runs a significant number of meat and seafood processing plants globally took out full page ads in major newspapers AROUND THE WORLD warning of the same thing. Even shit, in the bag news sources such as DW and CNN have mentioned this. I am starting to suspect that your news is delivered by your mother when she comes down into the basement to serve you Mac and cheese.

Also, a mute question is one that cannot be heard; a moot point is one that is open to debate, debatable or doubtful. You have not in any way disproven or even raised doubts about the points I have made. But do go on; this thread has gone from shooting fish in a barrel to beating the dead ones floating on the surface.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Tue May 12, 2020 10:11 pm

Interesting piece by Mr. Meyssan:

https://www.voltairenet.org/article209867.html
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:50 am

MJK wrote: I am starting to suspect that your news is delivered by your mother when she comes down into the basement to serve you Mac and cheese.

Im sure his mom does more than that!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby snaark » Wed May 13, 2020 5:42 am

MJK, not all news stories preceed the end of the world. The trick is to read a lot of them, not just those that confirm your own paranoia.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby MJK » Wed May 13, 2020 6:01 pm

That might be something that we can agree on. I try to balance out my biases and find sources that can refute what it is I am leaning towards believing. Several times here on this board people have posted info that poked a hole in what I believed and made me rethink my position. If you have links that show for instance that the German agro system isn't suffering from the same issues that are clearly occurring in the US and that Germany is actually on track to have relatively normal harvests and protein production this year present them.

Believe me when I say that I would love to be wrong about what I see looming on the horizon. I'd be very happy to eat some crow and laugh at my disproven notions that something wicked this way comes. But there is still no chicken, pork, pasta or flour on the shelves here and eggs and beef are in limited supply. I do not have to look very far to see reports of the culling and burial of huge numbers of livestock that will not be filling those empty meat departments at the supermarket. If that is not the case in Europe I'd like to hear about it.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe