American Road trip during Covid crisis

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: American Road trip during Covid crisis

Postby babihutan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 pm

Bronco wrote:Your route through Kentucky and Tennessee could be set up to visit the various Whiskey bottelers along the way. Several of them have tasting rooms.

Thanks for the tip Bronco! Just for the process of it and history would have to do for me, as whiskey itself would punish me. Funny I can drink rum all night but a couple whiskeys will make me hate my life!
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:08 am

We made it across the closed border into the USA after a very thorough and professional multi person interrogation process that went up 5 levels of the chain of command taking a couple hrs, including car strip and all. Their final words were apologetic for the inconvenience and that we were free to roam their beautiful and free country as total strangers.

Two weeks later upon returning to Canada as long lost citizens, we were welcomed home with a mandatory 14 day quarantine to stay on our property and the threat of $1million fine or 3 years in jail for violating. The government has been phoning us every day, even asking to speak with my 4 year old sleeping son to question him lol.

Two countries and two very different approaches on the virus. That said, despite the impending race war that will begin any day now, cities that have descended into lawless apocalyptic hell holes, an evil virus that is on every surface hiding, ready to attack the unsuspecting, irrational gun crazed trump supporting maniacs who can’t be reasoned with, can’t be bargained with.....all was well! Maybe CNN only told us part of the story in this great country. We took some wrong turns (intentionally in the lesser travelled hills of Kentucky, got to meet the country’s poorest white folks, talked with the black folk in the big city and everyone in between, walked around Centennial Park in Nashville that saw the riots earlier.

Tennessee and Kentucky were open and free, everyone we met was great from the border security to strangers on the street. I have returned home with warm images of the countless older dudes we saw cruisin the country roads on their Harleys with shirts that say FREEDOM, some not wearing helmets. For a fitting soundtrack to this epic scenery zooming past our open car windows, I subjected my family to the Doobie Brothers, CCR, Led Zepellin, Grateful Dead, Lynard, Steve Earle and even the Nitty Gritty. God Bless USA!

I am now enjoying government mandated quarantine as 97% of Canadians are scared shitless of America right now.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:38 am

U forgot the Allman Bros.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:52 am

babihutan wrote:We made it across the closed border into the USA after a very thorough and professional multi person interrogation process that went up 5 levels of the chain of command taking a couple hrs, including car strip and all. Their final words were apologetic for the inconvenience and that we were free to roam their beautiful and free country as total strangers.

Two weeks later upon returning to Canada as long lost citizens, we were welcomed home with a mandatory 14 day quarantine to stay on our property and the threat of $1million fine or 3 years in jail for violating. The government has been phoning us every day, even asking to speak with my 4 year old sleeping son to question him lol.

Two countries and two very different approaches on the virus. That said, despite the impending race war that will begin any day now, cities that have descended into lawless apocalyptic hell holes, an evil virus that is on every surface hiding, ready to attack the unsuspecting, irrational gun crazed trump supporting maniacs who can’t be reasoned with, can’t be bargained with.....all was well! Maybe CNN only told us part of the story in this great country. We took some wrong turns (intentionally in the lesser travelled hills of Kentucky, got to meet the country’s poorest white folks, talked with the black folk in the big city and everyone in between, walked around Centennial Park in Nashville that saw the riots earlier.

Tennessee and Kentucky were open and free, everyone we met was great from the border security to strangers on the street. I have returned home with warm images of the countless older dudes we saw cruisin the country roads on their Harleys with shirts that say FREEDOM, some not wearing helmets. For a fitting soundtrack to this epic scenery zooming past our open car windows, I subjected my family to the Doobie Brothers, CCR, Led Zepellin, Grateful Dead, Lynard, Steve Earle and even the Nitty Gritty. God Bless USA!

I am now enjoying government mandated quarantine as 97% of Canadians are scared shitless of America right now.

Best post on here in a while. Do post pics.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Great post with kind and observant words. Notable contrast of Covid approach between our two countries.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:U forgot the Allman Bros.

You are right! Won’t miss them again.

rickshaw92 wrote:Best post on here in a while. Do post pics.

Thanks brother, it wasn’t really a site seeing trip and I only had my phone, but I will post some.

seektravelinfo wrote:Great post with kind and observant words. Notable contrast of Covid approach between our two countries.

Thank you! These are unique times and each country’s response is fairly unique. I’m just happy I’m not in Panama where people are locked down hard to stay in their sweltering tin roofed shacks, no A/C, the near equatorial sun beating down on the steel roof just inches above your head, no room to stretch out. You really better enjoy who you’re with in those conditions! Lol
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:50 pm

babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:05 pm

babihutan wrote:Image

I edited that for you.

You don't have to include the code part.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby babihutan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Fall Creek Falls Tennessee

A wild Kentucky Kangaroo with her Joey

A cool cave in the Kentucky Down Under Park

Distant view of Fall Creek Falls

Cane Creek Falls inside the same Fall Creek Falls Park Tennessee. Great swimming!

The deer are tame in Radnor Lake Park just outside of Nashville.

Taking the kiddos on a sunset river walk in Louisville.

Downtown Louisville

Good lord, if you’re looking for good eatin fried chicken and the best fries in Lexington!

Scenery within Fall a Creek Falls Park in Tennessee. Great park with gorges, waterfalls, swimming, caves.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:30 am

Awesome.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby babihutan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:41 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Awesome.

Thanks dude! Next time I’ll be prepared with a real camera, either the lightweight lumix LX5 (amazing in low light) or my intro to DSLR Cannon Rebel. I left these at home as I’m sure the US border guards would have deemed my trip for pleasure and turned us back, which happened to many before. Our border guard told us one Canadian family the day before we went said they were crossing the border to attend the Gramma’s funeral. When searching their car, it was stacked with beach attire, floaty devices and cooler with beer.....I’m still not sure why a Canadian would bring beer into the States though.....
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:44 am

Good to see some shots, mate. Thanks.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:21 pm

ROB wrote:Good to see some shots, mate. Thanks.

No prob, glad to post some. The good ol days here had plenty, I’ll try to keep em coming.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:20 am

Those posts have slowed down but I think they’re the only ones that are universally appreciated around here. Lol
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe