Bruh, working land will kick your ass.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Bruh, working land will kick your ass.

Postby babihutan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:26 am

ROB wrote:I have employed some of each generation.

The younger, the better their effectiveness is my experience so far.

I wish I shared your experiences. I’m in a different industry, but in my line of work, the younger as in 30’s down have proven to lack everything that made the old grizzled boys good at their job. I’m talking construction work here specifically, but if you take away the younger gen’s tech savvy, there is no meat nor potatoes to get anything done. Physically and mentally, they are inferior in this realm.

That said, in other industries, the young have a much better skill set and smarter way of doing things that the stubborn old goats couldn’t possibly comprehend.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:00 am

Old Greeks were already complaining about young people being too loud and too lazy. People will be people IMO.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:12 am

[quote="Kurt"][quote="seektravelinfo"]Office work, you mean like with a desk and a phone? A sit-down desk job. Fine for your thirsty & younger years but once old physical labor is better.[/quote]

I think you are right.

I wish I would have done it in reverse. Done office work from from 22 to now and then switch over to physical labor for the last 10 years of working.

I mean, I did physical paid labor from when I was 12 through college. Not sure why I did not pursue the office life then, but I didn't.[/quote]

Only caveat I could say is aches and pains as a result of physical work really are a thing when you age, no getting around it really, but it’s a better ache than the sedentary ache from being de-conditioned. All I know now is my hands hurt often, I should never lift something heavy from the floor while twisting my body while not bending my knees (I have, not smart), but most of all the thing that really bothers me is this corn on my pinky toe. Who knew something so little could be so painful. I’m officially in old woman territory now. Corns. I will examine my face for warts.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:35 am

el3so wrote:Old Greeks were already complaining about young people being too loud and too lazy. People will be people IMO.

Every generation thinks they’re tougher and better than the next, true.

Naturally, as modern conveniences replace much of the grind of the daily struggle, seems only fitting that each generation does indeed get a little softer. I have seen this first hand. It’s just natural evolution I guess.....people will gravitate to excel at the demands of their time. It just so happens that biceps and being able to work 100 hr work weeks in the field without vacation no longer puts you at the top of the hierarchy. Nowadays, bragging about how little you work and how easy life is will make you the envy and desire of all. Sign of the times.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:18 am

I am spending as much money on fish oil (gotta protect those elbows and knees) as I am AK mags these days.

I can also sorta, kinda drift the Kubota.

Can't keep gen X down.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 pm

babihutan wrote:
el3so wrote:Old Greeks were already complaining about young people being too loud and too lazy. People will be people IMO.
It just so happens that biceps and being able to work 100 hr work weeks in the field without vacation no longer puts you at the top of the hierarchy.
Working in some field never put anyone at the top of the hierarchy, even back in ancient Greece those guys already had other people do it for them. Ancestors did the toiling the land thing, sucks for them but they would probably be happy for me to have better options to make more and spend less than they could ever dream of.
babihutan wrote: Nowadays, bragging about how little you work and how easy life is will make you the envy and desire of all.
I never claimed I wasn't lazy.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ROB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:11 am

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Laziness is a very close Aunty.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:44 am

We had a "cold snap" which is relative in my part of Florida this weekend. Which meant the interns showed up in boots and pea coats for our weekend pub crawl. Which was nice, but made me miss D.C. at the same time, because I'm still in shorts.

This week got hot AF for some reason. To be honest, at anything of 65F is "hot as fuck" for me. But, the interns adapted back to short shorts, an tank tops.

So, my boner is super confused due to weather.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:02 am

Just take the dick pills out of the fridge.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:15 pm

ROB wrote:Just take the dick pills out of the fridge.

I keep my vodka in the freezer.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:40 am

Nothing more satisfying than working your ass off really the alternative is not all it's cracked up to be.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby babihutan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:04 pm

denise wrote:Nothing more satisfying than working your ass off really the alternative is not all it's cracked up to be.

Yeah I’m lucky to have never known a period of not working my ass off, but I have caught glimpses of what becomes of the purposeless guys and girls as their drive and soul juice leaves their bodies.
babihutan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:47 pm

babihutan wrote:
denise wrote:Nothing more satisfying than working your ass off really the alternative is not all it's cracked up to be.

Yeah I’m lucky to have never known a period of not working my ass off, but I have caught glimpses of what becomes of the purposeless guys and girls as their drive and soul juice leaves their bodies.

I feel personally attacked.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:58 pm

I LOVE, LOVE LOVE sitting in an office all day on my ass.

I probably said this before in this thread but office drudgery kicks ass.

I did physical labor from when I was 12 to when I was 32 and that was enough for me.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:56 pm

Kurt wrote: office drudgery (...) physical labor
More power to you.

They can ask me to be a judge in a BJ contest, I'd still want to get paid.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe