Double or Nothing on Trumpocalypse?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Double or Nothing on Trumpocalypse?

Postby snaark » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:42 pm

Alphabet wrote:Thank you for proving my point for me.

You had a point?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Chaos visits NYC Primary

Postby MJK » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 am

According to the New York Post, 21% (84,000) mail in NY Primary ballots were not counted due to invalidation, 30,000 on Brooklyn alone. Apparently the USPS is woefully unprepared for the avalanche of mail in ballots headed their way in November.

Weren't a couple of folks around here saying that mail in ballots should be no prob? Looks to me like one on one voter registration fraud is but a small part of the troubling picture presented by mail in ballots.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Re: Chaos visits NYC Primary

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:09 pm

MJK wrote:According to the New York Post, 21% (84,000) mail in NY Primary ballots were not counted due to invalidation, 30,000 on Brooklyn alone. Apparently the USPS is woefully unprepared for the avalanche of mail in ballots headed their way in November.

Weren't a couple of folks around here saying that mail in ballots should be no prob? Looks to me like one on one voter registration fraud is but a small part of the troubling picture presented by mail in ballots.

What happened is what was supposed to happen.

The ballots were not valid so they were rejected. Not valid means they were not filled out correctly.

Not sure what your point is with this, they were invalidated because the system that is supposed to prevent fraud was working. I filled out those forms and before mailing them off everything had to be filled in, including a signed afidavit that was separate from the actual choices made in voting.

Let me know if you need further explanation about this because I have a feeling you do not quite understand what happened here.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby MJK » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:59 am

Kurt, first thanks for your response completely lacking in passive-aggressive overtones. My point was that this was an unprecedented number of percentage of disqualifications. Surprised that needed underlining but then again I'm sure you were aware of that but it does not fit the acoustic signature of the echo chamber here so you feel compelled to condescendingly insult rather than respond civilly. Really though what could you say? If the smooth, sophisticated NYC elections crowd and the USPS were totally buried by this event in one city, it is not much of a stretch to assume that on a scale many thousands of times larger the problems will multiply accordingly. If 20+% of the national vote in November gets disqualified shit will unravel; I guess if you are willing to vote for a senile rapist the collapse of the entire election process might be acceptable to you.

Looking forward to pointing this out again as future election events bear out my observation and predictions.
MJK
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:37 pm

MJK wrote:Kurt, first thanks for your response completely lacking in passive-aggressive overtones. My point was that this was an unprecedented number of percentage of disqualifications. Surprised that needed underlining but then again I'm sure you were aware of that but it does not fit the acoustic signature of the echo chamber here so you feel compelled to condescendingly insult rather than respond civilly. Really though what could you say? If the smooth, sophisticated NYC elections crowd and the USPS were totally buried by this event in one city, it is not much of a stretch to assume that on a scale many thousands of times larger the problems will multiply accordingly. If 20+% of the national vote in November gets disqualified shit will unravel; I guess if you are willing to vote for a senile rapist the collapse of the entire election process might be acceptable to you.

Looking forward to pointing this out again as future election events bear out my observation and predictions.

Yep, I am backing the senile rapist 75% percent of the way. The different from the Senile Rapist I am backing the Senile Rapist Incumbent is that my Senile Rapist knows China prefers him to be elected but his campaign won't cooperate with China. The other Senile Rapist is being supported by Russia and wishes they could cooperate more with the Russians to help him get elected.

Shitty choice vs. Shittier choice? Why would anyone vote Shittier?

I was just wondering if the actual process was something you did not get.

Fill out affadavit, vote. Put vote in separate envelop. Place vote containing envelope in envelope with afadavit. If affadavit is wrong or not filled out or if the people forgot which envelope went where, the vote would be invalid and still held, in case a review was ordered.

Which it is, as a Progressive who lost a primary, Patel, is asking for review.

Smooth? Smooth would have been just shoving them in the shredder and claiming only 100 or less were invalid. No one wants smooth, people want fail-safes. New York has never been a smooth place or an honest place, but it is a place that actually learns from fuck-ups
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:50 pm

Still beats flipping a double-old white dude-sided coin.
Kurt wrote: Fill out affadavit, vote. Put vote in separate envelop. Place vote containing envelope in envelope with afadavit.
4 easy steps, close to as many ways for people to screw these up as there are people.

Kurt wrote: If affadavit is wrong or not filled out or if the people forgot which envelope went where, the vote would be invalid and still held, in case a review was ordered. Smooth? Smooth would have been just shoving them in the shredder and claiming only 100 or less were invalid. No one wants smooth, people want fail-safes.
I don't want to buff up the Big Apple too much but rest assured electoral fraud is way older than New Amsterdam. But yeah, checks-and-balances.

Storing and manually processing all that snail mail is the stuff nightmares are made of. Bet this all went smoother j/k back in 1944 when people used postal services for sending letters instead of packages.

Over here a return to voting on paper and by mail would mean we would not only not get governments but also not get election results for years.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe