I gotta be careful about what I wish for

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

I gotta be careful about what I wish for

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:02 pm

I had the world's worst post office.

I mean it was so bad that one time I complained to the Postal Inspector about just not getting packages delivered, he obviously investigated then I received no mail for about 4 months. I got a notice delivered in my mail box to come pick up my mail before they disposed of it.

So I go, wait in line for hours and get a giant box filled with mail. I sign for it and proceeded to sort. I had about 4 jury summons and a few warnings and a recent Jury summons.

So I went to Jury duty, was told I narrowly avoided arrest. I told the judge about my post office and got scolded for blaming the post office for my own negligence.

I have been called to Jury duty 4 times in NYC and never once served, but each time (except for the time I was called to Federal Jury selection) someone got brought into the jury in handcuffs or someone was taken away in handcuffs.

That whole "you can get out of jury duty if you just ..." shit is a lie. No one who has said that has ever used it to really get out of Jury duty.

Anyway, From about 2008 to 2011 I am certain I probably posted here about my wish for the Postal System to be abolished.

Woops. I gave my tantrum and anger presidency over the well being of the rest of the nation because of my really shitty post office that almost got me in a lot of trouble (with taxes too...but that is another issue involving the post office delivering my mail to a mentally ill neighbor of mine who died before I get her to write an affidavit...so $40k in fines later ..). My old local Post Office should be purged but removing Mail Sorting machines just to limit votes being counted in the middle of pandemic is just fucking evil.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: I gotta be careful about what I wish for

Postby sparrow » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 pm

Kurt wrote:My old local Post Office should be purged but removing Mail Sorting machines just to limit votes being counted in the middle of pandemic is just fucking evil.

There's the fucking headline.

I can't believe you all aren't rioting in the streets over this. Has everyone just become complacent over all the corruption? This is definitely not the US I grew up with. This is stuff you expect in Russia, Belarus and Myanmar. Good luck to you all.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby el3so » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Kurt wrote: I got a notice delivered in my mail box to come pick up my mail before they disposed of it.
Wait, what?
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby ROB » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:42 pm

el3so wrote:
Kurt wrote: I got a notice delivered in my mail box to come pick up my mail before they disposed of it.
Wait, what?

I GOT A NOTICE DELIVERED IN MY MAIL BOX TO COME PICK UP MY MAIL BEFORE THEY DISPOSED OF IT.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:51 pm

You too ROB?

Feeling kinda left out here, getting all my mail delivered. Never getting summoned for jury duty neither.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ROB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:42 am

If you own a company here, you can get out of jury duty pretty easily. Same for freelancers.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:24 am

I got out of Jury Duty by telling them I was going to be in Nepal at that time.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:37 am

They called me up 3 times in a year.

1. Told them I owned a company.
2. Still owned the company.
3. Yup, company is still mine.

Fucking bureaucrats.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe