The COVID-19 vaccine

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The COVID-19 vaccine

Postby Kurt » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:15 pm

I'll take it if California, New York , Canada or Europe approves it after US approval.

Still not quite trusting anything for COVID-19 treatment tested only by Trump's FDA.

But 90% effective apparently.

I was also reading about a nasal spray that is supposed to act like a viral prophylactic by stopping COVID-19 from latching on to mucus membrane proteins. Not approved yet either.

That combination, if it works, plus mask discipline for 2 or 3 years should stop it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: The COVID-19 vaccine

Postby Dabbi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:20 pm

I can promise you that the idiot parts of the US would never put up with the invasion of their nasal cavity with science let alone taking away their freedom to breathe
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:49 pm

Dabbi wrote:I can promise you that the idiot parts of the US would never put up with the invasion of their nasal cavity with science let alone taking away their freedom to breathe

Nope.

Apparently this was funded from Berlin too, Not Washington. Which is not surprising since Trump tends to support COVID treatments advocated by people shilling penny stocks and Pillows.

But the advantage is that since it was Developed by Germans and sponsored by German companies, and Germany is a proper 1st World Country (The US is a Participation Trophy Country) I would be willing to bet that if the Germans approve it, it will be safe.

Unless we really want to earn our Third World Jacket and be a testing ground for them.

https://www.icelandair.com/blog/iceland-is-open-faq/

The flights to Iceland from NYC are so cheap we have been watching this page in the hope that you guys will allow testing in our airports. But nope, we do not even get the 14 day quarantine / 5 to 6 day double testing option.

I gotta tell you, that is really smart. No Biker rallies either I suppose.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Amazing.

Election over, Biden appears to be the winner, and just like that, COVID isn't a big deal anymore.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dabbi » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:19 pm

Tarkan wrote:Amazing.

Election over, Biden appears to be the winner, and just like that, COVID isn't a big deal anymore.

Covid is a huge deal

The project I'm working on at the moment has me in a quarantine in a hotel at the moment and it is having a massive effect on me in my private life.

It's costing the company i'm working for at the moment around 350$ extra per day.

Covid means that I can't see my family

Covid means that I can't visit my mother in the hospital

Covid means that the company I run had to shut down earlier this year

Covid means that people around me are hurting

But ignoring Covid-19 is a cruel and selfish solution because there are people that are hurting more than me at the moment, there are people who are immonucompromized that can't show up to family gatherings, go to stores, theater, school or concerts. There are people who have lost their jobs but as a society we take care of them and our compassion, care and humanity is more precious and worth more than any temporary inconvenience to me.

I'm strong enough to wear a mask for the weakest in society
My heart is big enough for me to understand that it is not just about me
Maybe this is a part of being from a much smaller community where the people around me are connected to me and the deaths and sickness that follows this horrible disease is more visible and connected

After having done mountain search and rescue for around 15 years many of my friends and family are first responders, doctors, nurses and so forth so the strain all of this puts on them is especially noticable to me along with how covid-19 affects the health care system

but we all choose to listen to and I try to listen to experts and scientists rather than random facebook posts and conspiracy theories

You can all have your own take on Covid-19 and be free to live your lives whatever way you want
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:23 pm

Lol, Biden is basically wetting himself trying to get people to wear masks and your reading is that it isn’t a big deal.

Top notch analysis by Tarkan, as usual.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 am

ROB wrote:

Lol, Biden is basically wetting himself trying to get people to wear masks and your reading is that it isn’t a big deal.

Top notch analysis by Tarkan, as usual.

Pedo Joe is a legit doctor.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:57 am

It's still a huge deal. Where did anyone, other than those who think deaths are over-stated, say it was no longer a big deal. Shit I just said I was going into isolation again at 5%. How is that me or anyone going "Mask off! Joe Biden!" ?

Right now this is the only thing I actually care about. Biden better deliver and it seems like having a COVID task force that consists of Doctors, a Former Surgeon general etc. etc. instead of his son in law and some tech bros is a decent start. It is the first step to being able to safely visit my parents again. It is the first step into being allowed into Norway and Nigeria again (via Iceland for Norway) and the first step into doing normal things without having my wife die or my toes fall off.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:23 am

Kurt wrote:But the advantage is that since it was Developed by Germans and sponsored by German companies, and Germany is a proper 1st World Country (The US is a Participation Trophy Country) I would be willing to bet that if the Germans approve it, it will be safe.

Having lived and worked in Germany for 15 years or so, comments like this make me cringe. I wouldn't trust regulators here any more than the FDA. Anyway, why would Trump now lean on the FDA to fast-track the approval? It's not like he has an election to win or anything....

Anyway, unless you're a medical worker or in a nursing home you're not going to get a vaccine until well into 2021, maybe even 2022. All follow-ups should be completed (usually this takes a year) and any safety concerns should be addressed. Personally I'll be first in line to get jabbed as soon as it becomes available.

(Btw. "the vaccine" is one of many in phase 3 trials. The one that was in the news this week was developed by BioNTech in Mainz. Pfizer is doing the production. You probably won't get a choice which one you get. It could be this one, or the one from J&J, AstraZeneca or others.)
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:56 am

Germany for 15 years eh?

You must be fun at parties.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell anymore.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:10 pm

I'd still trust German regulators over any fast tracked Trump FDA thing.

He may ... may... not be trying to win an election now but he still can use his influence to get groups who paid him homage to make some cash.

I worked with Germans for many years at Siemens and though they exaggerate the ability of their "procedures", they did get shit done.

I also worked with the French at a different division of Siemens. The French pretended they never worked hard, but did. The Germans pretended they worked hard but used that to cover up very long lunches and sometimes golf. The Americans pretended to be "innovative" but we often ran around pretending we knew what to do when it was the Germans who could actually think on their feet.

My job was to re-assure other Americans that an American was in charge (I wasn't, I had a German supervisor) and, most importantly, to figure out "What is the procedure for when a procedure fails and we do not have a backup procedure?" You probably won't be amazed at how often that question would cause Germans to crash in a logic loop.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:35 am

Alphabet wrote:Pedo Joe is a legit doctor.

After spending 4 years felating a president who made sexual impropriety an art form, the usual flogs on the right are gonna have to do an epic shit ton better than an insults like “Pedo Joe” on that count.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:14 pm

ROB wrote:

After spending 4 years felating a president who made sexual impropriety an art form, the usual flogs on the right are gonna have to do an epic shit ton better than an insults like “Pedo Joe” on that count.

Don't worry ROB, Pedo Joe won't be around for that long.

Pelosi and Harris are going to 25th Amendment that senile patriarch of a degenerate family asshole.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Tarkan wrote:
ROB wrote:

Don't worry ROB, Pedo Joe won't be around for that long.

Pelosi and Harris are going to 25th Amendment that senile patriarch of a degenerate family asshole.

No they won't. If they wouldn't get rid of President "Multiple Sexual Assault allegations Who cannot Drink a glass of water with one hand" I doubt they will get rid of President One Finger rape allegation (by a woman it turns out I went to JR. High with. I do not remember her at all as she was 1 grade above me)

So...Speaking of, how about Trump not leaving? No one saw that coming for months, huh? Quite a surprise.

Are you getting ready to condemn pro-Trump violence or are you getting ready to justify it?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe