Enrique Tarrio

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Enrique Tarrio

Postby snaark » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:13 pm

The only good thing about right-wing extremists is that they almost invariably implode under the weight of their own stupidity.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Re: Enrique Tarrio

Postby ROB » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:24 pm

It's like clockwork.

Pauline Hanson was a perfect model. It keeps getting repeated.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:18 am

ROB wrote: Pauline Hanson was a perfect model.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I was surprised she's still in office.

Local (renamed) right-wing party only has representation in one part of the country, part of their shtick is of course to blame the other half of the country speaking another language for most of the problems, well, them and the usual "immigrants/Muslims" which basically amounts to good ol' skin tone. But over the years they toned it down at least in the public appearance, realising they needed to if they wanted to get actual political traction, sometime sitting at the big table instead of forever in the peanut gallery. It kinda worked I guess, my bet more of a counter-vote to politics as usual. Can't call it a democracy if you continue to discount a growing share of the votes.

Their party president was the break with the old guard, the folks that had the previous convictions and the really compromising pictures from the past. Still slimey but less offensive, on point on issues instead of the old rants.
Pandemic happens, still no fed gov formed, they now have some clout in the fed parliament, dude goes magnanimous about supporting whatever is workable for the duration, this being a war and no time for politics, knowing he and his will not be asked anyway and probably doing a big nope on the actual crisis management.
A wise choice even if I do not agree with their program.

3 months in, a local rep blond bimbo decides to put on a dirndl, hops to the only German cemetery in the Netherlands, puts flowers on the grave of the first ever Dutch guy to join the Waffen-SS and posts selfies.

There is no helping some people.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:35 am

Pauline Hanson made a comeback after imploding spectacularly, but her party still implodes at regular intervals. I think she's kept in parliament purely for the comedy.

I say almost invariably because there are exceptions. Geert Wilders seems to be a perennial arsehole who's smart enough to avoid imploding.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:09 am

Is Geert really worse than Pauline?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:45 pm

I suspect they believe more or less the same things, it's just that one is moderately intelligent and moderately eloquent and the other is Forest Gump stupid. Neither of them are exactly "extremists" though, at least not in the same league as Tarrio. They are depressingly mainstream.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:53 am

snaark wrote:They are depressingly mainstream.
Bet you hated them before they were famous.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Return to Black Flag Cafe