500k dead from COVID-19 in The US

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

500k dead from COVID-19 in The US

Postby Kurt » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:13 pm

A little less than 1 out of 700 people have died from it this year. It is now the 3rd leading cause of death. Our life expectancy has lost 1 year on average.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: 500k dead from COVID-19 in The US

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:44 am

I read an interview of someone who was recovering from Covid. He said that the only thing worse than dying of Covid is NOT dying of Covid. The virus really tore into him.

There’s this thing called “long-Covid”, where you just can’t recover. Then there’s this thing of heart damage. And neurological damage.

What are people going to be saying twenty years from now, looking back? How will the anti-maskers of 2020/2021 be regarded? Who is going to write the history?
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:27 am

Devastating toll on this country & around the world. The long-haul Covid is real. I'm acquainted w/folks that are experiencing this. I've been vaccinated fully now, but the mutating strains are worrisome. We may be playing catch up for a long time if we don't take it seriously.

My ordered vaccines didn't arrive last week due to the bad weather on at the transportation hubs. It has been exhausting dealing with this pandemic. Now it's been over a year since my state became the first place in the USA to identify an outbreak. A grim milestone. We've learned a lot on how best to treat people & prevent outbreaks. The drugs are so-so for serious illness. .

My biggest fear wasn't catching Covid & dying, but catching Covid & being disabled by it. My annoyance with people who claim that it is "nothing but the flu" is immense.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kurt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:44 am

svizzerams wrote:Devastating toll on this country & around the world. The long-haul Covid is real. I'm acquainted w/folks that are experiencing this. I've been vaccinated fully now, but the mutating strains are worrisome. We may be playing catch up for a long time if we don't take it seriously.

My ordered vaccines didn't arrive last week due to the bad weather on at the transportation hubs. It has been exhausting dealing with this pandemic. Now it's been over a year since my state became the first place in the USA to identify an outbreak. A grim milestone. We've learned a lot on how best to treat people & prevent outbreaks. The drugs are so-so for serious illness. .

My biggest fear wasn't catching Covid & dying, but catching Covid & being disabled by it. My annoyance with people who claim that it is "nothing but the flu" is immense.

Yep.

Co-Morbitities = Same as flu

But they never included "co-morbitities" in flu fatalities so it was 60 and older and / or existing conditions in COVID-19 excluded in "Plandemic" type people's numbers vs Influenza fatalities that did not exclude the very old or very young or those with compromised immune systems.

Actually it would not surprise me at al to learn that they just made it up too without even bothering to fudge numbers.

I was just reading about the Hasidic Community in London who had a very respected Rabbi who went door to door to tell people not to go to Temple, to not gather for Purim and to wear masks and not go to weddings or funerals.

That is akin to, lets say a Governor of a state showing up to your house and saying "hey, this is important, I gotta talk to you" No matter what your political leaning is you would say 'Holy shit, the Governors here, this must be pretty serious" (unless it was Iowa's Kim Reynolds, then I would assume she just forgot where she lived and knew it was "In a house")

So he shows up, does this tirelessly until he dies from COVID-19. Then a power vacuum happens and it is filled by "sure, have a big funeral and don't wear masks" factions and *BOOM* the covid rates shoot up in the UK and they have to lockdown.

Covid deniers are dangerous idiots, as are anti-maskers, herd immunity without vaccine people, people who claim a bad economy kills more than Covid does. 500k pretty much proves it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:18 am

Covid deniers are dangerous idiots, as are anti-maskers, herd immunity without vaccine people, people who claim a bad economy kills more than Covid does. 500k pretty much proves it.

These people are indeed dangerous idiots, but I suspect they're a minority and not really what's driving the pandemic. The bigger problem is simply "normal" people who think the rules don't apply to them, or that their needs are greater than those of everyone else, or who don't understand that this is a team sport. That is to say, the majority of people.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:02 pm

snaark wrote:

These people are indeed dangerous idiots, but I suspect they're a minority and not really what's driving the pandemic. The bigger problem is simply "normal" people who think the rules don't apply to them, or that their needs are greater than those of everyone else, or who don't understand that this is a team sport. That is to say, the majority of people.

That is where the Holidays come in.

I have seen friends referring to things like "Taking a break from COVID" and showing them all together, maskless and drinking.

One friend of mine in Iowa had a project where he walked around and photographed people during covid and they were all maskless. I asked him what the deal was and he got all snippy claiming that everyone was masked but just took it off for the photo. Then he got covid and almost died and also spread it to 3 people I know who recovered fairly quickly. Like most people who fuck-up after getting called out before the fuck up about the impending fuck up he is angry with me..I did the same thing too when I wiped out really bad on my skateboard after being warned I would wipe out in an attempt to go down a very steep hill. I blamed my friend who predicted my accident.

Of course I was 11 and my friend who almost died is 68, but same priniciples apply. It's something that happens to other people.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:58 pm

Exactly. Fucking fed up with people whining about how their social lives have suffered, or saying "Its so hard, I haven't seen anyone", when I know their social lives have been at most only slightly impaired by the pandemic.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:14 pm

One of my friends is a hard core extrovert. It's been nightmarish for her. One of those people with a "people person" job who then hangs out with clients and co-workers and then goes home and she and her husband go out and meet friends.

But not anymore. She's sucking it up and is miserable but knows that the other options could be worse.

She's not in any vaccine priority either. So she has just decided that last year sucked, this year will suck and perhaps things will suck for 2 or 3 more years.

Her doing without is like me not having beer. If I was approaching two years without beer I think I would crack...Or I would be svelte and ripped and sharp witted.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby svizzerams » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 am

Hurray - My vaccine doses arrived today & a safely resting in my pharmacy freezer. I have 830 prime (first) doses & 600 booster (second) doses now. We had to cancel our 2nd dose drive thru clinic last Saturday. Our EMS dept called every patient scheduled (313 people) to cancel. There was whining & gnashing of teeth by a few. Like somehow we did it deliberately brought arctic air to the tranportation hubs just to ruin their day. Ray, our amazing EMS director, graciously did a mini clinic Friday night for 10 people (we needed 10 to use the entire vial) who couldn't make it this coming Saturday pending receipt of further vaccine. Like I said, exhausting.

Sometimes I wonder where Americans resilience & caring about community has gone. Thank god, I'm an introvert. Life seems almost normal to me. LOL.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:22 am

I am lucky. I can be both introvert and extrovert.

Love hanging out with people and love being by myself.

I am getting tons of reading done and when this is "over" as in we can safely socialize, I am going to have a blast seeing people again.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:27 pm

Kurt wrote:The bigger problem is simply "normal" people who think the rules don't apply to them, or that their needs are greater than those of everyone else, or who don't understand that this is a team sport. That is to say, the majority of people.
That is where the Holidays come in.
I have seen friends referring to things like "Taking a break from COVID" and showing them all together, maskless and drinking.[/quote] Family nearly feuded over this at christmas, reason prevailed, it was fine, presents were awesome as in more thoughtful than usual. No empty seats at the table so it's all good.

Gotta say I haven't been disappointed by asshole-behaviour by any friends or acquaintances yet. It has been a nice change of pace to enjoy home-cooked meals in gardens or on rooftop terraces instead of eating out. Predict a lot of socially-distanced BBQs for the summer, can't grill&chill for more than a handful of people at the same time anyway, focus on the food, the drinks and the company aka the simple life.

Part of me looks forward to violent altercations in the public space with people flaunting the rules. Punching a dude was always a close second to getting it on with a chick. Again, the simple life.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Tarkan » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:27 pm

Kurt wrote:
svizzerams wrote:Devastating toll on this country & around the world. The long-haul Covid is real. I'm acquainted w/folks that are experiencing this. I've been vaccinated fully now, but the mutating strains are worrisome. We may be playing catch up for a long time if we don't take it seriously.

Yep.

Co-Morbitities = Same as flu

But they never included "co-morbitities" in flu fatalities so it was 60 and older and / or existing conditions in COVID-19 excluded in "Plandemic" type people's numbers vs Influenza fatalities that did not exclude the very old or very young or those with compromised immune systems.

Actually it would not surprise me at al to learn that they just made it up too without even bothering to fudge numbers.

I was just reading about the Hasidic Community in London who had a very respected Rabbi who went door to door to tell people not to go to Temple, to not gather for Purim and to wear masks and not go to weddings or funerals.

That is akin to, lets say a Governor of a state showing up to your house and saying "hey, this is important, I gotta talk to you" No matter what your political leaning is you would say 'Holy shit, the Governors here, this must be pretty serious" (unless it was Iowa's Kim Reynolds, then I would assume she just forgot where she lived and knew it was "In a house")

So he shows up, does this tirelessly until he dies from COVID-19. Then a power vacuum happens and it is filled by "sure, have a big funeral and don't wear masks" factions and *BOOM* the covid rates shoot up in the UK and they have to lockdown.

I hate to break it to you, but the data suggests otherwise.

Take a look at Florida vs New York vs California. New York and California have had protracted and draconian shut downs, full on mask policies, etc. Florida has not. Florida's transmission rates and death rates are lower than both NY and CA. And FL has a median age of 42, vs 39 for NY and 36 for CA, so it's not age demographics at play.

Most people who tested positive for COVID had minor or no symptoms.

The mortality rate for people over 70 is 20% and represent half of the people who have died from it in the US.

The long-haulers have a rough go of it, and a lot of them aren't old.

It's a weird disease.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:58 pm

One thing that you gotta remember is New York got hit early and hit hard.

We were hit when we were told that washing hands was enough and masks were somehow worse.

I have no idea what California's problem is. A friend of mine out there in the California-ist of California (LA) said they only wear masks indoors and in grocery stores but out in the open it is maskless and gatherings outside are maskless.

In my neighborhood people put on a mask for a 20 foot walk to put the trash out. About 200 people live on my block and not a single one has died of it.

Mask + Quarentine seems to work. Look at Australia and New Zealand. States are hard to tell. The Governor of Florida is a lying shitbag who arrests data scientists who try to tell the truth...But so is Cuomo and Newsome seems to be guilty of merely being a hypocrite (my guess is California's problem is "It happens to other people, not me")

What I find expected but still surprising is how many people follow the lead of whomever is President. Biden double-masks and suddenly I start seeing double-masks.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm

I spent 5 days in NYC last month. I just really wanted to get away and figured I could isolate there as easily as I could here, and I got a crazy cheap Priceline package. First thing I noticed was that everyone masks. Everywhere. All the time. Also noticeable to me was that people are nicer to each other. Most noticeable was that it is the service industry workers that are keeping the city going. There is a pall of sadness over the city, but not resignation. I wanted to look you and your wife up, Kurt, but Covid etiquette prevented me from doing that. Not the right time. So,basically I just walked and walked all day. It was pleasant. I must say I thought the Hudson Yards getup was icky. A travertine marble mall of corporate retail stores that were devoid of people but full of neatly folded sweaters. The suicide stair contraption ugly. Took the PATH to NJ to visit a friends art studio in Jersey City, went to Hoboken in search of TSP my friend with me says it can’t be bought in NY as it’s a toxic substance and he’s a cautious freak now about germs and needed it for cleaning. Ace hardware in Hoboken out of TSP, so you know, but it looked like there were some good Italian restaurants in the neighborhood.

Good thing about masking is it’s warm for walking around a northeastern city in January. I forecast I’ll continue to mask until summer of 2022. If the whole nation followed the example of NYC’s Covid prevention compliance there’d be a lot less dead people, and longCovid afflicted people.

Who all on here has been able to get vaccinated? My 2nd shot is in a couple weeks. Big relief for me.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 pm

Kurt wrote:One thing that you gotta remember is New York got hit early and hit hard.

Yeah, well, instituting the policy of putting covid positive patients back into nursing homes without any protective measures will do that to you.

We were hit when we were told that washing hands was enough and masks were somehow worse.

Yeah, an intentional misdirection propagated by the government because first responders and hospital staffs were unable to acquire N95 masks to treat patients for a long time.

I have no idea what California's problem is. A friend of mine out there in the California-ist of California (LA) said they only wear masks indoors and in grocery stores but out in the open it is maskless and gatherings outside are maskless.

I think this is a contagion that is highly stochastic and defies policy measures.

Code: Select all
        POP          DEATH       CASES          DEATH/POP   DEATH/CASE
TX    29,005,991.00 42,285.00   2,621,181.00     0.15%           1.61%
NY    19,453,561.00 38,031.00   1,591,585.00     0.20%           2.39%
CA    39,512,223.00 49,563.00   3,450,000.00     0.13%           1.44%

Texas isn't as laizzez faire as Florida, but things have been fairly normal here since around May of last year. Lots of activities, bars and restaurants open, kids sports, etc. And yet, on a per capita basis, TX is doing better than NY and almost as good as CA. Weird disease.

In my neighborhood people put on a mask for a 20 foot walk to put the trash out. About 200 people live on my block and not a single one has died of it.

In my neighborhood, an elderly couple got it in March. The woman has high blood pressure, asthma, and diabetes. Over 70. Neither had to be hospitalized.

Mask + Quarentine seems to work. Look at Australia and New Zealand. States are hard to tell. The Governor of Florida is a lying shitbag who arrests data scientists who try to tell the truth...But so is Cuomo and Newsome seems to be guilty of merely being a hypocrite (my guess is California's problem is "It happens to other people, not me")

Of course quarantines work during an epidemic/pandemic, but it requires good contact tracing, good testing, and control over border entry. We fucked up all three. The last was a political football, and obstructionism by the Democrats prevented Trump from shutting things down earlier than he probably would have, because "xenophobia and racism".
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe