US Voter Supression

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

US Voter Supression

Postby sparrow » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:25 am

You know, my whole life I was taught to believe that the US was the leader of the free world. I believed that.

But you're not are you? The greed has infested your governments. And the racism.

Imagine. Being on the outside looking in. How do you think we see you?

It's laid bare. No water to people standing in line?

Fuck. Who came up with that?

I don't believe that any more.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Re: US Voter Supression

Postby Kurt » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:48 am

Thanks to voter supression we are now ranked below Mongolia on the freedom index.

The racists who support and pass this legislation actually believe black folks are brainwashed by Democrats and that is what justifies these laws.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby sparrow » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:20 am

It's always the greed.
sparrow
Canadia

Postby svizzerams » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:23 pm

sparrow wrote:You know, my whole life I was taught to believe that the US was the leader of the free world. I believed that.

But you're not are you? The greed has infested your governments. And the racism.

I believed the same. We were the 'white' hats, the good guys, the ones who looked out for others, were fair & just. Nope. Nope. Nope. I live in a state with all vote by mail balloting. We've been doing this for a couple of decades now. It works really well. Easy, convenient, secure, allows you to consider all those whacky referendums put on the ballot by the likes of Tim Eyman or the 23 different candidates for governor, counted quickly & certified within 2 weeks. Then in 2018 I learned about how ridiculous it is to vote in some other states. Watched the shenanigans by the GOP so-called leaders in some red states. Listened to pundits who actually say the quiet bit out loud (if more people vote republicans can't win, not all voters should vote etc etc). WTF America!!! I want free, fair & secure elections as much as the next person - but that isn't what many fellow citizens experience. They experience roadblocks & disincentives. When you put out one drop box for 2 million citizens? When you close polling places to force fellow citizens to wait 6-8 hrs in a line (and then later try to deny offers of food/water to make that wait more palatable). That isn't even fucking subtle. Since all national elections have some effect on my life I believe that the actual will of the people in other states be fairly decided.

I so appreciate living in a sane state when it comes to voting. In a sane state with a sane governor when it comes to Covid. At this point I'd be happy to see several state secede or better yet, my state secede along with Oregon & California, creating the new province of Canada, naming it Cascadia or Pacifica. I'm getting fed up with the growing shittiness of this country.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby sparrow » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 pm

That reminds me. Instead of BFCus Regularus, can I be Canadia, Kurt?

But yeah, I hear you. It's getting increasingly harder to listen to all the nonsense.

And to live it.
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:07 pm

sparrow wrote:That reminds me. Instead of BFCus Regularus, can I be Canadia, Kurt?

But yeah, I hear you. It's getting increasingly harder to listen to all the nonsense.

And to live it.

Done. I haven't done that in so long it took me a while to remember how.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby sparrow » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:31 pm

^Awesome. Thanks.
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Dabbi » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:42 pm

It's hard to share the pool when a group is happy with shitting uncontrollably in it and isn't ashamed of it.
Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:29 pm

Now all these corporations are threatening to leave Georgia and the MLB even moved their sportsball game to some area where you can give people standing in line to vote food and water without getting arrested.

And The Republicans lost their fucking shit.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 103439002/

Which is funny because when the cost of labor down south was lower than the north and taxes were lower and corporations moved down there no one lost their shit. Northern states did not accuse corporations of holding laws hostage.

A few friends of mine work on "Wall Street" (which is actually in New Jersey now) and each of the firms they work for has threatened to "go down south" where taxes and labor are more agreeable but they always change their minds and they are really changing their minds about Florida and Georgia moves now since the amount of talent refusing to move south is larger than the savings they would receive by moving there. And with Republicans threatening to remove tax incentives to those companies that Opposed Jim Crow 2.0 there is no guarantee that they would even get the tax and labor savings that is promised.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby sparrow » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:03 am

svizzerams wrote:
sparrow wrote:You know, my whole life I was taught to believe that the US was the leader of the free world. I believed that.

I believed the same. We were the 'white' hats, the good guys, the ones who looked out for others, were fair & just. Nope. Nope. Nope. I live in a state with all vote by mail balloting. We've been doing this for a couple of decades now. It works really well. Easy, convenient, secure, allows you to consider all those whacky referendums put on the ballot by the likes of Tim Eyman or the 23 different candidates for governor, counted quickly & certified within 2 weeks. Then in 2018 I learned about how ridiculous it is to vote in some other states. Watched the shenanigans by the GOP so-called leaders in some red states. Listened to pundits who actually say the quiet bit out loud (if more people vote republicans can't win, not all voters should vote etc etc). WTF America!!! I want free, fair & secure elections as much as the next person - but that isn't what many fellow citizens experience. They experience roadblocks & disincentives. When you put out one drop box for 2 million citizens? When you close polling places to force fellow citizens to wait 6-8 hrs in a line (and then later try to deny offers of food/water to make that wait more palatable). That isn't even fucking subtle. Since all national elections have some effect on my life I believe that the actual will of the people in other states be fairly decided.

Hear, hear!

I so appreciate living in a sane state when it comes to voting. In a sane state with a sane governor when it comes to Covid. At this point I'd be happy to see several state secede or better yet, my state secede along with Oregon & California, creating the new province of Canada, naming it Cascadia or Pacifica. I'm getting fed up with the growing shittiness of this country.

Healthcare for everyone. Period. Imagine.

Welcome.
sparrow
Canadia

Postby svizzerams » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:21 am

I'm so close to Canada at times my cell phone switches to Rogers cell service. And yet I can't cross over. I'm really disappointed in this country at the moment. GQP (yep GQP not a typo). Fingers crossed I'll get to come to Nunavut in Sept.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:05 am

svizzerams wrote:I'm so close to Canada at times my cell phone switches to Rogers cell service. And yet I can't cross over. I'm really disappointed in this country at the moment. GQP (yep GQP not a typo). Fingers crossed I'll get to come to Nunavut in Sept.

Headed to Nunavut next week, ferrying up a small helicopter from Montreal to Pond Inlet, some 2000 plus mile. I will probably spend most of 2021 around the Northern end of Baffin. See ya in September!
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:28 am

I think most black people would be offended by the argument that a requirement for a government ID to vote is racist because supposedly, black people can't or won't get ID cards. Everyone with a brain knows that the whole purpose of preventing voter ID laws is to facility voter fraud, something the Left requires for its continued existence. Anyone who claims illegals should be allowed to vote is deranged. Anyone who believes black people are too stupid or poor to get an ID card is a racist.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:43 am

The Founders originally had the idea that only landowners should be able to vote, and though an argument can be made that they were misguided in doing so, an argument can also be made that universal suffrage will inevitably lead to the downfall of a free republic. The Founders' logic in requiring a person to own land in order to vote was simple. They believed that people who had a stake in the country would take their vote more seriously, and would also be less likely to vote to appropriate the property of their neighbor. When the United States was founded, it was founded on fiercely libertarian principles, and the government was rightly feared from growing too large or powerful. Thomas Jefferson stated that any government powerful enough to provide you with everything you need also has the power to take away everything you have.

Unfortunately, when a person is on government assistance, they tend to vote for those people that promise to keep the free meal ticket funded, and increase misguided welfare programs. Furthermore, those political parties that advocate for more government benefits for the poor also have no incentive to actually help the poor improve their situation. If they become successful, they no longer need the handouts, and begin resenting the amount of taxes they must pay. Their votes then change to those who advocate for fiscal conservatism and a solvent spending strategy. This causes the tax and spend politicians to lose votes. Therefore, their political power is actually dependent upon keeping their constituency poor and dependent on the government, and actually increasing the number of people that vote and need government subsidy to survive. This is of course a doomed long-term strategy, as the parasite will eventually overcome the host. In reality, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is paying for it, and if those receiving taxpayer funds outnumber those who actually contribute to the tax coffers, and their votes are allowed to hold as much weight, than it is only a matter of time before the economy collapses due to wasteful fiscal policies. This has historically always resulted in a dictatorship.

In short: A pure democracy is nothing more or less than two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:04 am

Profound.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe