R.I.P. Prince Philip

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: R.I.P. Prince Philip

Postby snaark » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:23 pm

Kurt wrote:Maybe we could restore the Spanish Habsburgs? Ugly. Inbred. Sickly. Then when a random uggo is spied in the airport or shopping for hats people could say "wow, hes hideous. I bet he is important"

There's no better argument for republicanism than a "Habsburg jaw".

Incidentally Philip and Lizzie were third cousins through queen Victoria. At least Harry tried to introduce some genetic diversity into the family. No wonder they don't like him anymore.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:28 am

ROB wrote:
ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Sorry to see him go, was hoping he held out to 100. One of the more interesting lives lived, fleeing revolution as a toddler, a WW2 officer and having a mother that was put in an asylum, but later was a hero for saving Jews in Greece.

And a sister who literally named her child after Hitler.

Fuck me, you people really love eating propaganda.

His sisters married Nazis so that makes sense.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:22 am

snaark wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:A well-lived life. Last of a breed. Once Queen Elizabeth goes it will seem that the 20th C. will fade away. He seemed like the kind of man who could light up a room just by entering it.

He seemed like a racist arsehole to me. If that's the 20th century then it can happily fade away; the world will be better for it. The worlds longest running reality TV series jumped the shark a few centuries ago.

I've always thought the term "jump the shark" was odd. Has anyone actually seen the episode of Happy Days where that term originated? I prefer the term "nuke the fridge," in reference to Indiana Jones 4, the one that should never have been made.

In regards to your statement about the recently deceased royal being a 'racist arsehole,' I would advise against such judgment. One thing to keep in mind about judging historical figures is to make sure to remember the context of the times in which they lived. That being said, I think it is time for royalty to fade away, but that time had been a long time coming. But I think political elitists are more of a threat to the world and more worthy of scorn than a bunch of archaic figureheads of a bygone era.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:05 am

You realise he died last week right? Like "his time" was literally last week...
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe