Starting to travel again: Iceland

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Starting to travel again: Iceland

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Mooseonee is nice enough, or it was when I went on a family vacation when I was little. Lots of drunken natives. Not much else but the train ride was cool if you like trains.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:11 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Mooseonee is nice enough, or it was when I went on a family vacation when I was little. Lots of drunken natives. Not much else but the train ride was cool if you like trains.

I do like trains.

I work with trains. (computerized train control at least)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby SRR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:49 am

At some point I would like to drive to Hudson Bay...your flight plan reminded me of that.

I 'spose I will need a car though.

You may be in luck Kurt, sounds like they're looking at a winter road from Gillam to Rankin Inlet: https://www.thereminder.ca/news/local-n ... 1.23062829

Just keep in mind the blizzards off the west coast of Hudson's Bay are legendary so bring all the fancy gear and a spare dead walrus in your trunk if you need something to eat for a few weeks to ride it out.

Rankin Inlet's a hoot, flat as all hell and some of the worst wine I've ever tasted. Worth 3 weeks of driving from NYC in the middle of winter for sure.

Conversely if you have a spare C$1 billion (about $3,50 US) you can fund the all weather road that was planned 50 years ago.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby sparrow » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:41 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:You could drive as far as Cochrane I believe then catch the train up to Moosenee. You could even further up in Manitoba, however the rail service may have ceased to Churchill. They are slowly buildings, you can now drive to the Arctic Ocean near Inuvik.

Rail service was out for a year or so after a major flood but everything's back in order

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-d ... -churchill
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:28 pm

Rail to Mooseonee sounds cool.

Not sure why. I will probably show up there and be like "wait...Why did I want to do this again?"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:29 pm

Carry a stick if you go on walkabout, the dogs will harass you if there hasn't been a cull in awhile.

I've spent too much time in Moosenee. If you go, let me know, I've got really good friends there that could show you around, take you out to the dump to see the bears...
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Darcy wrote:Carry a stick if you go on walkabout, the dogs will harass you if there hasn't been a cull in awhile.

I've spent too much time in Moosenee. If you go, let me know, I've got really good friends there that could show you around, take you out to the dump to see the bears...

Will do. Thanks.

I saw a map once that showed Polar Bear habitat was about 150 miles south of there. Not sure if that is still the case.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:02 pm

I've never heard of polar bears that far South, but I haven't been up there in twenty years either. I did see belugas there though, which was awesome.

There is a big EMS helicopter base there, and I know some of the pilots and medics. One guy tours; two weeks on, two weeks off, and lives just around the block from me here in Nova Scotia. I can certainly put you in touch with him. French guy (France, not Quebec) but I don't hold that against him.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Dabbi » Mon May 10, 2021 1:59 pm

Kurt wrote:Yep, That is closer to Iceland but I am hoping Iceland is just a bit warmer in early September.

At some point I would like to drive to Hudson Bay...your flight plan reminded me of that.

I 'spose I will need a car though.

If it's to cold in Iceland you just get closer to this bad boy that's going off at the moment

Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue May 11, 2021 3:45 pm

I have a fear of volcanoes. So, yah, probably not the best place to be for me but then again what better way to confront one's fears than to pretend to face them after drinking alot first?

I am gonna try your harkarl for sure, but what else do you recommend? I like to try the kind of food that locals really do not like that much themselves but are proud of it anyway.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Dabbi » Mon May 24, 2021 1:39 pm

Kurt wrote:I have a fear of volcanoes. So, yah, probably not the best place to be for me but then again what better way to confront one's fears than to pretend to face them after drinking alot first?

I am gonna try your harkarl for sure, but what else do you recommend? I like to try the kind of food that locals really do not like that much themselves but are proud of it anyway.

The fish and lamb is usually your best option at a restaurants
Go to an ice cream store

Hangikjöt - smoked leg of lamb you eat it on flatbread with butter

Kleinur, a twisted doughnut it's something that preferably has to be homemade but the next best thing is buying them fresh in IKEA

Dabbi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon May 24, 2021 2:27 pm

I have actually heard good things about your tacos. Not sure if it is true or not but I will try them.

Norwegians have a similar item as Hangikjöt but it is very salty. I like it sliced thin and on rye bread but my relatives eat large portions of it that is way too much of a salt dose for me.

We are really looking forward to it. The combination of COVID and Trump gave us a genuine fear we would never be able to go overseas again.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Fri May 28, 2021 11:57 pm

Kurt wrote:I have a fear of volcanoes. So, yah, probably not the best place to be for me but then again what better way to confront one's fears than to pretend to face them after drinking alot first?
Volcanoes and little people with filed teeth are two fears I'd rather not face, be it drunk, sober, naked or clothed.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe