Darcy's Photos are Pretty Damn Good

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Darcy's Photos are Pretty Damn Good

Postby ROB » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:14 pm

You should look at them.

https://www.darcyhooverphotos.ca/
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Re: Darcy's Photos are Pretty Damn Good

Postby snaark » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Agreed. Great website.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:33 pm

Oil paintings too!
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Thanks Guys!
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:21 pm

When were you in Stavanger?

That is where about 80% of the Proto-Kurt's came from.

Depending on flights we might go there after Iceland to visit my numerous relatives.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Would've been mostly tween 2000 and 2011. I was a simulator instructor on the S61 and Super Pumas sims in Forus, I lived there for years, on and off.

Hiked all through the Lysefjorden, Preikestolen too many times to count (pissed off the edge off-season). The night life in Stavanger! I was well-known, and not in a good way. I'm famous within CHC for hoping on a horse-drawn cart with a bunch of nuns... And the Nigerian and Latvian entertainment, and of course, local talent...the dark side then always The Beverly as everything else shut down around 3 am...

Clarion 7th floor (or was it 11th?) hottub overlooking the harbour...

Fuck, I miss Stavanger so much.

I was a bad-ass before all the hard-living caught up with me... looking for images now but I think I deleted all the compromising ones

Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:55 pm

Darcy wrote:Would've been mostly tween 2000 and 2011. I was a simulator instructor on the S61 and Super Pumas sims in Forus, I lived there for years, on and off.

Hiked all through the Lysefjorden, Preikestolen too many times to count (pissed off the edge off-season). The night life in Stavanger! I was well-known, and not in a good way. I'm famous within CHC for hoping on a horse-drawn cart with a bunch of nuns... And the Nigerian and Latvian entertainment, and of course, local talent...the dark side then always The Beverly as everything else shut down around 3 am...

Clarion 7th floor (or was it 11th?) hottub overlooking the harbour...

Fuck, I miss Stavanger so much.

I was a bad-ass before all the hard-living caught up with me... looking for images now but I think I deleted all the compromising ones

Preikestolen. When you stand on it, look accross Lysenfjord you will see a lake. That lake is where my family still lives. 100 years ago this June my great uncle rowed my grandma accross that lake, walked her to Forsand and she got a boat to Stavanger and came to the US.

That area did not have a rode to her farm until 1957. It did not get elecricity until 1960 and now my second cousin makes money running a chocolate shop there for tourists and its just a short drive to get on the Ryfast (undersea road and pedestrian walkway)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 am

Those are some pretty darn nice pics, particularly the b and ws
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 am

Thanks Guys! Apologies for my last inebriated reply, I was a little full of myself.... much as I was when I was kicking around Stavanger.

I remember a quaint chocolate shop in town.

I've driven that small road along the water across from Preikestolen to the end a few times, is that where your family is? I remember a lake or two. Been a long while.

Absolutely stunning scenery.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:37 pm

ROB wrote:You should look at them.

https://www.darcyhooverphotos.ca/

Agreed. Solid work. I never had a talent for photography.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:29 pm

Darcy wrote:Thanks Guys! Apologies for my last inebriated reply, I was a little full of myself.... much as I was when I was kicking around Stavanger.

I remember a quaint chocolate shop in town.

I've driven that small road along the water across from Preikestolen to the end a few times, is that where your family is? I remember a lake or two. Been a long while.

Absolutely stunning scenery.

That is where they live. An excavation was done on the spot and showed 3000+ years of human habitation and no one in my family ever remembers "arriving there" and we have church records and names that go back to around 1400 AD where they mention that a fire destroyed past records during the black death.

One of the reasons my grandma and her sister left the place was there were hardly any men being born...which is a common symptom of "inbreeding" so it is a good thing they built that road.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:03 pm

I did the Viking Museum in town, plus a few of the old Viking sites in the area. You got some history going on. I've gotten serious with a few Norwegian gals, and I know there are some serious social issues; spousal abuse and suicide being extremely high, especially considering the high standard of living. One gal (school teacher) figured it had something to do with the high standard of living vs the Viking culture the youth are taught in school. Lots of world-conquering angst with no where to go. I know the guys working in the old fields were making ridiculous salaries with two weeks off for every week in the field. All the service industry were Eastern Europeans too. Still, the scenery and cuisine were incredible, the girls fun, the guys mostly stoic but I certainly wouldn't mess with any of them...
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:09 pm

"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:19 am

Just ordered it. Paper edition.

Cheers
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Darcy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am

Thanks Guys! I really do appreciate it.

I'm struggling to get novel two out there, Cologne & Coffee. It's been done awhile but I don't wish to publish with the same folk as they did zero marketing, and I suck at self-marketing. No bites yet....

Here's the full write up for publishing submissions, not the blurb on the back to entice buyers;

My latest novel is in two parts; Part One alternates between the stories of two men. In Part Two their stories become intertwined.

Jed, our main protagonist, is a young man beginning his career. As a young pilot in Northern Canada he beds a married First Nations woman whose husband has ties to organized crime. The husband’s brother attempts to extort money from the young man so he leaves Canada for a life of contracts across the Globe. He is tempted by illegal opportunities in each International destination. There is an undercurrent of a curse that follows him from abandoning his commitment to the husband’s brother. The brother pursues mob ties to locate him, so this keeps him on the move. With each chapter he delves deeper into illegal activity: embezzlement, smuggling, aiding migrants into Europe, the illicit sex-trade, counterfeit aircraft parts…

Throughout Jed’s journey I’ve interspersed stories of Jacques, a solid and unchanging staple. He is a womanizing rascal with a tendency towards philosophy while drunk.

The stories follow the two men from Northern Manitoba to the deserts of Somalia, from the Turkish and Romanian Black Sea Coast to the beaches of Gabon, from Baku to Tangiers, Trinidad & Tobago to Suriname, Kenya, etc., all places I am intimate with.

In Part Two Jed and Jacques meet and become good friends but in the end Jed’s illegal activities cause Jacque’s death. This throws Jed into a final meeting with the wife’s husband.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe