ASSEMBLING TEAM - The real Operation Red Wings

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

ASSEMBLING TEAM - The real Operation Red Wings

Postby carltok1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Michael Asher's, The Real Bravo Two Zero recounts the eight man SAS patrol operation in Iraq during the Gulf War in 1991, dropped 180 miles behind enemy lines to locate SCUD missile launch sites, on foot. Under the aliases Andy McNab and Chris Ryan, the two returning SAS operator debriefed the mission claiming they killed over 200 Iraqi soldiers. Though, other SAS operators have found discrepancies in this figure, which Asher tries to understand as he retraces the steps of the recon force. He interviews local Iraqi's and visits the coordinates the element used as a point to surveil, and where they were first spotted and later ambushed.

His journey eliminates the doubt created when trying to visualize the environment and terrain. These natural factors dictate the strike effectiveness and movement of the patrol because they were limited in much and how far/fast they could move.

There is much conjecture in dealing with Operations Red Wings and Whalers, be it, size of the local militia actually engaged in the fight, duration of the gun battle, location, the vote, etc.

I am assembling a team to take Asher's blueprint with Bravo Two Zero and apply it to the Lone Survivor/Op Red wings incident. Much of the operation has now been declassified since the movie and books recounting those days in the Kunar Province. In an effort not to discredit or take away from the legacy of the four man SEAL team, but to recount the true terrain and not hyperinflate the events in the Pech River region. The events during Operation Red Wings, Operation Whalers and Operation Red Wings 2 are filled with heroism and special warfare because the landscape and nature of the people in these regions.

A true understanding of the events, during some of the toughest fighting in this century, can only be accomplished by trekking through these mountainous regions, engaging with local militia, US forces and enemy forces.

Victory Point by Ed Darack, a photographer and journalist, covers these operations in great detail and will serve as a main piece of literature that the expedition is based on.

Reach out if any desire to tag along or add to the overall mission.
carltok1

Re: ASSEMBLING TEAM - The real Operation Red Wings

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Engage with...meaning combat?

Who is funding this?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:40 pm

Oh I love these posts. We haven't had one of these "I'm assembling a team" posts in ages.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:22 pm

snaark wrote:Oh I love these posts. We haven't had one of these "I'm assembling a team" posts in ages.

I know. I wanted to write: "You sunovabitch! I'm in!"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:11 am

I'm in.

I will be the Faceman.

ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 am

Ill be mad Murdoch!
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:25 am

rickshaw92 wrote:Ill be mad Murdoch!

Need a co-pilot? *hand up high*

I've spent a lot of time with regiment lads (thought they were all so damn young, then I looked in the mirror), and that whole Bravo Two Zero saga is a huge source of contention, as is pretty much anyone inside who writes anything about anything they do.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Sat May 01, 2021 4:03 pm

snaark wrote:Oh I love these posts. We haven't had one of these "I'm assembling a team" posts in ages.

I know! It's about time. https://youtu.be/RsgJLVxNwPQ
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sat May 01, 2021 11:17 pm

I think Rickshaw now has some competition for Crazy Murdoch.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe