Another Ferry Flight!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Another Ferry Flight!

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:24 pm

Hopefully not nearly as exciting as my Gabon to Poland flight, well documented here, but I'm excited nevertheless. Last ferry trip was from Louisiana to Trinidad & Tobago where I spent 4 years. I was last Captaining the venerable ole S61 on military gigs in the ME, but that market has gone dry, and to keep working, I've dived back into the Arctic bush flying of my youth. I'm slotted to head to Antarctica in the fall, but this summer will be spent in Northern Baffin Island, mostly exploration and scientific research.

So I went from this;

to this (Astar or Squirrel);

I've only got 8 hours on it so far, but it's pretty basic. I'm still not second nature with fuel burns, etc. but they are sending me solo on this route Saturday;

Some of the legs are 275 miles of barren nada, and with any kind of headwind it's too long for this beast, so I'll have a 45 gallon drum in the back and refuelling kit. Plus a shotgun and slugs for polar bears. It's was still -20 F up there last week so I've got a separate duffle with my Canada Goose parka, Arctic overboots, etc.. plus a clamshell survival hut and a bunch of gear, and a big box of MREs.

Originally I was to fly up the East Coast, and was keen to see Mount Thor and some impressive scenery, but the brass figures the weather would be far worse and I'd be much more exposed, so I have this relatively flat and boring route up the Western shore of Hudson Bay. Doubt I'll get too many cool photos but I'll try. Off to Montreal Friday and first set of legs Saturday morning.

Artistic gear shot because I love that shit...

Not sure of internet access but I'll try to keep posting throughout.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Re: Another Ferry Flight!

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:49 pm

There was a crash up there this week, same type. Classic white out scenario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/helicopter-accident-resolute-griffith-island-1.6002456

Back in the late 80s I was in formation over the Gulf of the St. Lawrence, about 90 miles offshore over ice off PEI, when the guy in front of me (I was 3/7) flew into the ice, not more than a few hundred feet in front, but he was low. I was at 700 feet. The first indication I had of how close he was when his shadow closed quickly with his aircraft then he hit, the tailboom and a float broke off, the aircraft cartwheeled, tore the transmission and rotor blades out, and it continued to bounce, finally coming to a stop. By the time I circled around and landed, using the crashed aircraft for visual reference as it was complete whiteout, the pilot and 4 passengers were out and walking around! Couldn't believe it. Some sore necks and bruises but everyone was okay.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:02 am

This is a super nerdy question but what's the min operating temperature of those things?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 am

Good question!

- 40 F for this bird, as it sits.

- 40 F is pretty common for most helicopters, though the S76 I used to fly EMS was only rated to -17 F. We were working in Northern Ontario with it and had to shut down ops for weeks each winter. We were told by the manufacturer that that was the coldest temperatures they could find whilst certifying the bird.

Many operators raise the minimum operating temperature for survival considerations as opposed to aircraft limits.

For extreme cold there are provision to operate in colder weather, but you have to change all the oils and greases. That old S61 (photo above) operates often in the Arctic, down below -60 F, I can't remember the actual limit. The coldest temperature I have ever seen was in Northern Quebec in the late 80s, a balmy -63 F on the thermometer. Not even considering wind chill, though I recall it was pretty calm. We had shut down flying operations at -49 F. Hard on the lungs. I used to wrap a very loosely woven scarf over my mouth multiple times and breathed through that, seemed to help retain moisture, and I had one of those steaming machines in my room too.

Just discovered these cool insulated overboots the other Arctic pilots wear, saves you taking two pairs up North, and they are really warm, and pack down small. I have my Lowa Zephyr GTX Mid for most everything and just throw these NEOs over them when its cold.

I've spent almost the past two decades around the equator, East and West Africa, the ME and South America, then the Caribbean for 4 years. Going back to the Northland was not my first choice, but you get soft on the cushy jobs. Time to toughen back up....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:25 pm

Outstanding! I am envious of your journey. Looking forward to some pictures.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby snaark » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 pm

I had to look up what -40 F is in celcius. Turns out it's fucking cold.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:40 pm

I converted everything to F for my American friends....

Luckily the scales meet at -40

I lived in the North for a LONG time, I used to think -15 C to - 25C was acceptable, anything below that was cold. -30 C to -45 C wasn't a huge difference, you had to get serious with gear and be careful. We used to have to deal with at least 2 months a year where the temperature would not get above -30 C. I've been in hot climates so much (can't say where I was last but in the 40s almost every day) I'm not overly pleased to get back into the cold, but meh, its a paycheque....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sun May 02, 2021 1:29 pm

Not too far yet. No drama. They elected to change a rotor blade the evening before my departure so I spent the next day doing track and balance flights. It did give me some more time to build up some comfort flying this little thing. I got as far as Val-Dor last night. I bucketed on forest fires here in the late 80s, maybe some red headed adults running around here with my DNA...

Was to get off at first light and try for Pickle Lake today. Pickle Lake has a remote communications centre in Thunder Bay, I alway loved calling "Thunder Pickle, this is...." I spent many months there in the eighties too...

Anyway, aircraft is all iced up from freezing rain last night, can't even get the doors or cowlings open. Waiting on it to warm some. Already dug my Canada Goose out, and I wasn't even going to pack it. Just below freezing but that wind....

No shots in flights yet, I'm too busy flying this squirrelly little thing. Missing my autopilots and First Officers.

In other news: I heard I may have another military gig in North Africa on the heavies.... waiting on a contract award.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 am

Pickle Lake is one of thiose places I've seen on a map and wondered what it is like.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 am

This is Pickle Lake! I took these waiting on my steak dinner....

I'll probably be stuck here today, weather isn't bad but my next legs are very long and remote and lots of low visibility in rain and snow. Could push through but feeling conservative this morning.

It's rough here, roads are mostly gravel and dirt. Hotel is what you'd expect. Blew fuses trying to charge my laptop. Door lock failed. Internet sporadic. But for the outdoors the fishing and hunting and paddling etc. is incredible.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon May 03, 2021 11:47 am

A couple from yesterday;

That's a shotgun at the bottom, and fuel drum in the back...

Getting flatter, but at least there are still trees.

Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Well, the mine I'm headed to just went into full lockdown, so I don't know what the plan is going forward. For now hanging out in Pickle Lake!

https://www.nunavutnews.com/nunavut-news/nine-cases-of-covid-19-detected-at-baffinlands-mary-river-mine/

In the meantime, here's some from this morning's walkabout -

That's my hotel, only one in town. Should give a good idea of the place....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon May 03, 2021 4:19 pm

Dang, if you don't mind me saying, some of these make awesome B&Ws....

Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Mon May 03, 2021 7:47 pm

Great photos! Safe travels.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue May 04, 2021 3:02 am

Great stuff.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe