Kabul Liberation

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Kabul Liberation

Postby Vincent » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:39 pm

Will anyone else join me in rejoicing the prospect of another airport novel about flying kites?
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:19 pm

Vincent wrote:Will anyone else join me in rejoicing the prospect of another airport novel about flying kites?
Sucks for the locals and all those having lost life, limbs or psychological well-being during this whole project.
If we're looking for silver linings, people getting paid would be a good angle.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Kabul Liberation

Postby snaark » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:18 pm

Does this mean there won't be an Afghan cricket team anymore?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:33 pm

19.5 years of fighting the Taliban.

Well....that worked.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Devlin » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:35 pm

On 9-12-01, a small Tactical Nuke should have been dropped on the location the CIA had Bin Laden pegged at. It would have outraged the world but they would have gotten over it. Thousands of lives saved and dollars spent.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:39 am

Devlin wrote:On 9-12-01, a small Tactical Nuke should have been dropped on the location the CIA had Bin Laden pegged at. It would have outraged the world but they would have gotten over it. Thousands of lives saved and dollars spent.

Inspired analysis.

The sanitation industry's gain was geopolitics' loss.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:57 am

Yeah, well that solution would have put Dick Cheney’s Halliburton dream to bed, and they weren’t having that.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:27 pm

ROB wrote:
Devlin wrote:On 9-12-01, a small Tactical Nuke should have been dropped on the location the CIA had Bin Laden pegged at. It would have outraged the world but they would have gotten over it. Thousands of lives saved and dollars spent.
Inspired analysis.
Dunno, doubt they would use actual nuclear devices but I figure it'll be easier to sell to the US voters than to get them on board for the next 20 year low-intensity conflict/nation-building exercise followed by what amounts to a public relations/propaganda liability.

In the end, given a democratically elected government, that will be all that really matters.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:09 pm

Sir, I asked for an INDOOR window seat.

There seems to be a mistake.

May I please speak to the manager.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:33 pm

el3so wrote:
ROB wrote:
Inspired analysis.
Dunno, doubt they would use actual nuclear devices but I figure it'll be easier to sell to the US voters than to get them on board for the next 20 year low-intensity conflict/nation-building exercise followed by what amounts to a public relations/propaganda liability.

In any case I think most people would accept in retrospect that there may have been a better way. Mobilising the entire US military complex and triggering Article 5 to kill a few dozen guys living in caves was a probably a slight overreaction.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:33 am

I remember when NYC cops beat the crap outa people for being "traitors" when they said this plan would fail. Then they beat more people who said the same thing about Iraq.

Then they claimed in 2004 that we were planning to kill them with acid filled eggs.

I am wondering when is best to call everyone a fucking idiot and how to do so. So many options.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:45 am

What a gut punch, 20 years down the tube.

My most inspired thought is that not one woman in that country should bathe while the talibs are in power.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:49 am

I must say I am glad that we no longer have to deal with mean tweets from our President and it is so refreshing to have the chaos of the Trump administration behind us so we can enjoy what a smooth running machine, good governance, and even better planning the Biden administration - headed by the man that got the most votes of any candidate in American history - has put into place. It must be comforting to our allies to know as well that the US will stick with you through thick and thin. Don’t worry Taiwan - we have your back!
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:15 am

Tarkan wrote:I must say I am glad that we no longer have to deal with mean tweets from our President and it is so refreshing to have the chaos of the Trump administration behind us so we can enjoy what a smooth running machine, good governance, and even better planning the Biden administration - headed by the man that got the most votes of any candidate in American history - has put into place. It must be comforting to our allies to know as well that the US will stick with you through thick and thin. Don’t worry Taiwan - we have your back!

Do you have the wrong thread?

The collapse and withdrawal from Afghanistan was a campaign promise Trump made and followed through on. Negotiation was what, last year some time? Biden just kinda let it happen. A bit sloppily true, but I guess he foolishly believed what the previous admin left for him was solid.

Just like Trump abandoned our supposed allies in Syria.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:40 am

mb wrote:
Tarkan wrote:I must say I am glad that we no longer have to deal with mean tweets from our President and it is so refreshing to have the chaos of the Trump administration behind us so we can enjoy what a smooth running machine, good governance, and even better planning the Biden administration - headed by the man that got the most votes of any candidate in American history - has put into place. It must be comforting to our allies to know as well that the US will stick with you through thick and thin. Don’t worry Taiwan - we have your back!

Do you have the wrong thread?

The collapse and withdrawal from Afghanistan was a campaign promise Trump made and followed through on. Negotiation was what, last year some time? Biden just kinda let it happen. A bit sloppily true, but I guess he foolishly believed what the previous admin left for him was solid.

Just like Trump abandoned our supposed allies in Syria.

Yeah that is going to be the new narrative - “Trump set me up!” - but it’s not true.

And a bit sloppily might be the understatement of the decade.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe