Laal Khan

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Laal Khan

Postby crotalus01 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:36 am

RYP?
Anyone have any contact info?
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Re: Laal Khan

Postby Kurt » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:34 pm

I got nothing.

Last post was in 2008 and RYP last posted about seeing him in 2010.

If we do not hear anything I will search online for him and check Washington State records to see if he returned there.

Assuming my basement back in NYC is not flooded.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby crotalus01 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 am

Kurt wrote:I got nothing.

Last post was in 2008 and RYP last posted about seeing him in 2010.

If we do not hear anything I will search online for him and check Washington State records to see if he returned there.

Assuming my basement back in NYC is not flooded.

Hope you're not flooded Kurt.
Anyways, just worried about him given the current situation. If anyone knows anything I'd appreciate it.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Kurt » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:26 pm

I actually tried to search for him in all the US to see if there were any relatives. Zero hits.

If he has a "real" name that you know of PM it to me and I will search for that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby crotalus01 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:59 am

Kurt wrote:I actually tried to search for him in all the US to see if there were any relatives. Zero hits.

If he has a "real" name that you know of PM it to me and I will search for that.

Real name is Aemal or Ahmal Khan, he lived in or outside Seattle. I'd try a relative in Kabul but pretty sure that's not possible at the moment unfortunately.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Kurt » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:19 pm

crotalus01 wrote:
Kurt wrote:I actually tried to search for him in all the US to see if there were any relatives. Zero hits.

Real name is Aemal or Ahmal Khan, he lived in or outside Seattle. I'd try a relative in Kabul but pretty sure that's not possible at the moment unfortunately.

Nope, nothing under those either.

PM me an age and if you know the name of a US relative or one that may be in the US and I can narrow it down a bit more. I notice a lot of people from that area of the world are pretty "name-fluid" compared to us. More like a "William" being Bill, Billy, Will, Willy, Liam rather than "James" being Jim, Jimmy, or Jamie...But even less obvious to us.

So I am stuck.

So if he does pop in I would like to say :

Welcome back. We are worried about you. And Yer in 'Murica Dammit! Phone Book name is your REAL NAME!

Seriously, its almost impossible to stalk people from Afghanistan and Pakistan with their names
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby crotalus01 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:18 am

Age when we met I'd guess late 20s but I never asked. The hottest lead I can give you is his sister ran the Afghan Womens Educational Center (AWEC), an NGO in Shar-e-Naw Kabul about 2 or 3 blocks from Chicken Street, maybe 4 blocks from the Intercontinental. His uncle (I think uncle) ran a newspaper in Kabul, I think it was The Kabul Times, and his family was connected enough to Karzai that the VP attended his brothers wedding with full security compliment (that was held at the former home of bin Laden, definitely a cool and unique experience). His family also owned land in the mountains around Bamiyan.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby vagabond » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:55 am

crotalus01 wrote:Age when we met I'd guess late 20s but I never asked. The hottest lead I can give you is his sister ran the Afghan Womens Educational Center (AWEC), an NGO in Shar-e-Naw Kabul about 2 or 3 blocks from Chicken Street, maybe 4 blocks from the Intercontinental. His uncle (I think uncle) ran a newspaper in Kabul, I think it was The Kabul Times, and his family was connected enough to Karzai that the VP attended his brothers wedding with full security compliment (that was held at the former home of bin Laden, definitely a cool and unique experience). His family also owned land in the mountains around Bamiyan.

Sounds like they would definitely be folks that would be trying to get out and maybe have the connections to do so. Hope that's the case.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:05 pm

We stay in touch regularly. He is fine.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Return to Black Flag Cafe