NYC f'd?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

NYC f'd?

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:54 am

Hey Kurt and other NYCers - I thought we had our issues in Southern California but NYC looks to be having its own with all the flooding this year. You used to work for the train systems right? Is there any hope for the subways with the effects of climate change ramping up?

Just saw in Tweetland that y'all had a tornado warning, the first (?) flash flood watch ever, and stuff like this: https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status ... 5714058244

I need to get around to reading that Kim Stanley Robinson book "New York 2140".

Going to be an interesting few decades.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re: NYC f'd?

Postby ROB » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:07 am

Climate change is not real. BFC decided that at least a decade or two back. Catch up.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:23 am

But did we tell Mother Nature?
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:28 am

I just arrived in Iceland.

We took off in that shit though and it was rough.

Having little open faced samdwiches with egg and herring now.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Maybe we should all just move to Iceland. Enjoy your herring!

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:24 am

vagabond wrote:Maybe we should all just move to Iceland. Enjoy your herring!

The weather kinda sucks. Otherwise it is a likeable place.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:43 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
vagabond wrote:Maybe we should all just move to Iceland. Enjoy your herring!

The weather kinda sucks. Otherwise it is a likeable place.

Wool.

North Atlantic weather is negated by wool.

Btw the fish, lamb and "hot dogs" are awesome but I should have not ordered a steak.

Oh, and the potatoes. Only other place I have ever noticed superior potatoes was in the Andes.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:10 pm

They do have amazing sweaters in those lands. I'm not a rich man but springing for Darn Tough socks might've been one of my best purchases even though it's always 72 and sunny around here.

I'm surprised you were able to leave given the weather. It looked like Newark airport flooded and lots of other flights were shut down.

I wouldn't have associated potatoes w/ Iceland. Seems like it might not be the best climate but what do I know.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:02 am

New York fucked?

You're all fucked. The absolute nonsense! You must know that the rest of the world is looking at you and going what the fuck right? Most western nations don't allow the propaganda channel(s) people! Why do you? Look what it does to your own people. Why are you now the country that you accuse other countries of being when the same thing happens in your own back yard? Good question huh

Perhaps this subject needs its own thread.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby ROB » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:34 pm

Because they built up dogma around their exceptionalism that excludes the role of context.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:49 pm

Now I want to go to Iceland.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:57 am

I'd go there again, it does have an otherworldly feel and is cloudy and cool. It may be neat to 4 x 4 through the interior of the country.

Faroe Islands are another place that feels otherworldly if you don't mind missing the sun for a while.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:32 am

ROB wrote:Because they built up dogma around their exceptionalism that excludes the role of context.

Context and nuance aren't our strong suits. We can blame your fellow countryman Murdoch for poisoning a large part of the English-speaking world to some degree.

sparrow wrote:New York fucked?

You're all fucked. The absolute nonsense! You must know that the rest of the world is looking at you and going what the fuck right? Most western nations don't allow the propaganda channel(s) people! Why do you? Look what it does to your own people. Why are you now the country that you accuse other countries of being when the same thing happens in your own back yard? Good question huh

Perhaps this subject needs its own thread.

Sure, why not. I had no real aim on this one other than bringing up NYC being twice-flooded in a month or so. That's the least of our worries here in the US.

Forget if I've said it here before but definitely repeated to others that would listen. This whole virus thing has made me even more pessimistic about adapting to along with mitigating the worst of the climate crisis. Everyone for themselves, callousness, etc in a society that tears itself apart over some pretty ridiculous stuff. Most voters assume their politicians aren't going to listen to them and corporate money definitely doesn't help with that. Add onto gerrymandering and you have a systemic problem. Then you have vocal minorities on many extremes. The Right actually has a plan on how to use their power; the Democrats (I hesitate to call them the Left here) get power and are spineless in using it, which I assume is off-putting for people. You see a breaking apart of that, because most citizen-government interactions suck, such as the DMV, police, taxes, and they don't see the really useful underlying structures that do exist (roads/transit, the amazing work of NOAA or the National Parks, which are taken for granted). It's a mix of gerontocracy + plutocracy who whatever else but it's not a representative democracy.

I was talking with some friends earlier today and they asked if there were any protests about the abortion law where they were in TX. They said there was a little bit of something in their downtown but nothing like last summer. I didn't have a chance to ask where all the pink hat people were from 2016.

I don't know. Don't really have any answers. I contact my reps locally, at the state level, and federally (a joke since COVID), have volunteered for some random stuff, but still feel like I'm swimming against the tide since there's nothing realistic to do, especially in my very blue corridor of a blue city. Also, I have an inkling to be 'selfish' and GTFO while the getting is good. If I can swing some work in the EU, I feel that would fit more my life without having to worry about all this BS. Too many people I know seem to suffer for trying to do the 'normal' thing (house, kids, etc which here = $$$) and aren't really enjoying it or making headway. A lot of worry, stress, and precarity.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:43 am

vagabond wrote:
ROB wrote:Because they built up dogma around their exceptionalism that excludes the role of context.

Context and nuance aren't our strong suits. We can blame your fellow countryman Murdoch for poisoning a large part of the English-speaking world to some degree.

You have the death penalty. We don't. Just sayin'
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:07 pm

ROB wrote:
vagabond wrote:

You have the death penalty. We don't. Just sayin'

Well...as you said, we like our exceptionalism. Let's be #1 at all the bad shit.

Most countries, including almost all First World nations, have abolished capital punishment either in law or in practice; notable exceptions are the United States, Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore. Additionally, capital punishment is also carried out in China, India, and most Islamic states.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment#By_country

I might sound more naive than usual, but I was really surprised at a stat that was pointed out to me the other. I know the US has a massive incarceration rate but didn't realize that places like Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Mississippi had 1000+ prisoners per 100,000 adults incarcerated. Compare to El Salvador (572/100k) or Turkmenistan (552/100k). Not great.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe