NYC f'd?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: NYC f'd?

Postby ROB » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 am

sparrow wrote:

Nuclear Submarines.

That is all.[/quote]

Stand by for the guy who woke up to an alarm giving you further lectures about freedom from his cubicle when he's on break.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:56 pm

ROB wrote:
sparrow wrote:

Nuclear Submarines.

That is all.

Stand by for the guy who woke up to an alarm giving you further lectures about freedom from his cubicle when he's on break.[/quote]

That's a sick burn.

Edited to add, I am curious how the sparrow quote got stuck in a reply to "Nuclear Submarines", when sparrow wasn't involved in that particular thread.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:08 am

ROB wrote:
sparrow wrote:Nuclear Submarines.
Stand by for the guy who woke up to an alarm giving you further lectures about freedom from his cubicle when he's on break.
Yo, I know it's been de rigueur to laugh at the whole of the USA but that's some mighty fine real politiking. Didn't expect the AU two of you to be rooting for defense industry purposes neither ;-)

French bid fell through, 8? subs without nuclear capabilities, from nuclear propulsion to diesel to nuclear again? Seems to be the lesser of both halves re: offensive and defensive capabilities. Then again, can't throw stones living in (but for the French force de frappe and NATO bases) a glass house.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ROB » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:40 pm

It was a fuck up from Australia.

Yesterday we had a contract for 12 completed boats.

Today we have a promise to consider bids on 8 propulsion systems without boats.

That being said, if the SCS shit hits the fan, we need to be interoperable with the US Navy. Most likely scenario (despite what Chicken Littles like Tarkan will tell you) isn't that Australia gets invaded (it won't), it's that it gets blockaded. Chinese shenanigans in the SCS will have us worried.

Also, always nice to incense the French.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:40 pm

ROB wrote: a contract for 12 completed boats.
You ever work with a French company? Not like those subs were anywhere near finished.
ROB wrote:That being said, if the SCS shit hits the fan, we need to be interoperable with the US Navy. Most likely scenario (...) isn't that Australia gets invaded (it won't), it's that it gets blockaded.
Like I said, not in much of a position to throw stones here but without the Pacific fleet and strategic bombers, those 8 subs won't be much use in case someone decides to cut off your small pop, big surface island, esp one that is pretty much uninhabitable apart from the coastal areas, let alone meddling in South East Asian waters.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby ROB » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:09 am

el3so wrote:
ROB wrote: a contract for 12 completed boats.
You ever work with a French company? Not like those subs were anywhere near finished.
ROB wrote:That being said, if the SCS shit hits the fan, we need to be interoperable with the US Navy. Most likely scenario (...) isn't that Australia gets invaded (it won't), it's that it gets blockaded.
Like I said, not in much of a position to throw stones here but without the Pacific fleet and strategic bombers, those 8 subs won't be much use in case someone decides to cut off your small pop, big surface island, esp one that is pretty much uninhabitable apart from the coastal areas, let alone meddling in South East Asian waters.

8 Subs is enough to say to the US, "hey look, we are all in and we have helped you in literally every war you fought in the last 70 years, so how's about you lend us the keys to that shiny 7th fleet?"

Australian geopolitical strategy can basically be summed up as making ourselves invaluable to whoever has the best navy. Has been that way for 100 years or more.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Re: Re:

Postby snaark » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57 am

ROB wrote:8 Subs is enough to say to the US, "hey look, we are all in and we have helped you in literally every war you fought in the last 70 years, so how's about you lend us the keys to that shiny 7th fleet?"

Australian geopolitical strategy can basically be summed up as making ourselves invaluable to whoever has the best navy. Has been that way for 100 years or more.

Yup, except certain recent (and possibly future) American presidents don't seem to give a fuck about all that.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:32 pm

snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:27 am

snaark wrote:
ROB wrote:Yup, except certain recent (and possibly future) American presidents don't seem to give a fuck about all that.

Sure, but I think most of their generals are basically on board with the idea so the Pres would be getting some serious kickback. Though I grant it's not airtight. But it's more or less all a middle power has.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:46 am

What is funny about all this here is that in 2003 the "Freedom Fries" crowd was actually searching for a way to switch France from an ally of the US to an adversary.

Now the same group is worried we hurt Frances feelings because Oz picked our subs.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:39 pm

Kurt wrote:What is funny about all this here is that in 2003 the "Freedom Fries" crowd was actually searching for a way to switch France from an ally of the US to an adversary.

Now the same group is worried we hurt Frances feelings because Oz picked our subs.

I know, right? That’s the first thing I thought of. Petty grievances. So, it’s France’s turn to be butt-hurt. Oh, to live in a world where this was our only major concern.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:47 pm

The last time France got in a tizzy at America:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/07/02/espionage-moi/
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:43 am

The French will throw a diplomatic fit at stale canapes. In the end, who really gives a shit?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:58 pm

Noone. In fact it seems almost everyone, even people who think AUKUS is a dumb idea, seem amused by it.

Incidentally I can see why the French were excluded from the club: otherwise they would have to call it FAUKUS.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:01 am

ROB wrote: Australian geopolitical strategy can basically be summed up as making ourselves invaluable to whoever has the best navy. Has been that way for 100 years or more.
"Invaluable" is a big word in the age of aerial refueling, ICBMs and nuclear submarines. Again, glass houses over here but I'm gonna bet on being stuck in between the 2 major powers of Europe any day of the week.
PRC 'll implode before they get that belt&road thing working, white man tried that sh!t with even less consideration for the locals in the past.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe