Chalky White and Omar Little are dead

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Chalky White and Omar Little are dead

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:23 am

R.I.P. He had a special charisma.

Goddamn heroin overdose. It’s everywhere. A friend of my daughters from her high-school days od’d to death a couple weeks ago. He was the Homecoming King 2006. The poor kid. It’s like he wasn’t even a person anymore. He’d get his fix and ride public transit in between getting his next fix. Went to jail, got out, got his heroin, od’d at the train stop.

From time to time we get a rash of fentanyl through here, followed by deaths. I have an “citizen's” app on my phone that used to provide a map of overdose deaths and the age of the deceased, but Covid stats are reported on it now instead.

A friend’s son was telling me about a sick new party game that druggy kids are doing. Because Narcon can be purchased over the counter now the thing to do is to get as fucked up as they dare, with Narcon as a chaser to restore life. Kind of like auto-erotic asphyxiation but w/o the sex I suppose. This is some dark shit.

My point, I’m sorry that the actor Michael K. Williams died.
He was stellar. Damn shame. Fucking heroin.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Re: Chalky White and Omar Little are dead

Postby ROB » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:23 am

One of the most engaging actors of the last 20 years. Huge shame.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:36 am

Could care less about most slebs but he made each and every character something.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:00 pm

I found it upsetting too. When I first saw it, hoped it was anything but drugs but I guess that's what is suspected now. Him and Philip Seymour Hoffman, two immense talents.

I know heroin has a long history in this country but the constant rhythm of very public ODs combined w/ the related opioid crisis gets louder and sadder each year. I know alcohol, obesity, etc are also large plagues on our people but it seems once you get a taste of heroin, it's extremely hard to kick.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:16 pm

There are worse ways to go. Sucks for his loved ones none the less.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:10 pm

No idea about him as a person, but Omar Little was one on the best characters in any tv series.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:35 pm

snaark wrote:No idea about him as a person, but Omar Little was one on the best characters in any tv series.

A good obit:

https://www.vulture.com/article/michael ... tuary.html
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:51 am

Kurt wrote:Could care less about most slebs but he made each and every character something.

Slebs. New word. I like it.

I’m a cinemaphobe, and quite frankly the great stuff has been on TV during the past years. Actors, whom in mainstream Hollywood productions are cast in character roles, often to memorable effect (think Eileen Heckart in The Bad Seed) but are largely underused in relation to big-name starring roles. HBO, when they land, has been a fantastic vehicle for such actors. This guy, Michael, absolutely soared in The Wire, Boardwalk Empire and omg The Night Of. And it wasn’t just him, that actor who played the Detective …. Bill Camp …. was so good he made my heart stop.

All hail HBO.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Living up in Baffin Island now. The substance abuse is brutal in the Inuit communities. You have to wade through waves of fighting yelling druggies to get into the sole grocery store. It's pretty ugly. I've heard stories of soaking sleeping bags in fuel and crawling in head first to get high. Besides trying to implement some pride in their culture and way of life, and providing a future, attempts to thwart the abuse fail miserably.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe