It was 20 years ago today...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

It was 20 years ago today...

Postby denise » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:56 am

This place was so happening even I stumbled upon it. Miss it and the many courageous interesting intelligent well spoken insightful yet still incredibly hilarious inhabitants. Present company excluded as you are still here. So anyway where were you then and where are you now?
Last edited by denise on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Re: It was 20 years ago today...

Postby Kurt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:08 am

Still in NYC.

Been through 911 and COVID in NYC. 20 years between smelling corpses rotting for a portion of time here.

The difference is COVID was worse but it happened slow so no one gave a shit. They also didnt think it would hit them, but it did.

911 made everyone crap themselves and they thought it could happen to anyone.

9/11 was dramatic but COVID was worse.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby denise » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:12 am

so are you saying that lab leaks are a bigger threat than terrorism?
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:32 am

denise wrote:so are you saying that lab leaks are a bigger threat than terrorism?

Heh....leaks. I assume you are joking.

But yes. Global pandemics are a bigger threat than global terrorism.

9/11 + Do Nothing = Better Off in Long Run.

COVID + Do Nothing = Brings Us To Here.

Its a tough pill to swallow: Having a violent act done to your country and not doing anything but it would have been the better option.....or we could have focused only on intel and getting Al Q and OBL, but we didnt so given the chouce of what was done and doing nothing, nothing is the better choice.
Not in hindsight either but foresight.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby denise » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 am

Having been here and having edumacated myself as much as is humanly possible I certainly don't see the response to 911 as simple justice or even quid pro quo. That being said I also don't see this pandemic as the result of a bat soup recipe gone awry.
Last edited by denise on Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:52 am

20 years ago...just moved sown to Niagara Region and started a job about a couple h=of hundred metres away from one of the international bridges. That day walked down to the bridge at lunch at was amazed to see no planes or traffic on the bridge. Read a copy of WMDP v 4 a couple of weeks later and found this fun place.

20 years later still living in Niagara Region.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:12 am

Yes I remember that as well having lived all of my life in the shadow of what was the world's busiest airport this is the song that came to mind at the time...America Sandman.

Funny the more things change.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:56 am

Kurt I know how much you believe in the infallibility of simple human stupidity so we may have a point of agreement there but if you would like to argue that I'm game.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:21 pm

Kurt wrote:Still in NYC.

Been through 911 and COVID in NYC. 20 years between smelling corpses rotting for a portion of time here.

The difference is COVID was worse but it happened slow so no one gave a shit. They also didnt think it would hit them, but it did.

911 made everyone crap themselves and they thought it could happen to anyone.

9/11 was dramatic but COVID was worse.

I was in NYC last January. The vibe of the destructiveness and sadness of the pandemic was palpable, as well as a determination to carry on, as fulfilled by service industry workers who are heroic in keeping the city going. When I saw the memorial fountains situated on the sites of the former WTC I was struck by their strange & menacing beauty and power as a work of architectural public art, and it struck me as how resonate it was of Covid.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:25 pm

Haven't been since right before COVID. Is it truly as somber as that? I wasn't trying to be too pessimistic about the place in my 'NYC f'd' thread but there seems to be some serious challenges, not only for NYC, but the rest of the nation with climate resilience going forward. Drought and fires here in the West Coast, extreme weather variability on the East. I think the Mississippi river valley, one of the poorest parts of the country, is definitely screwed. Maybe we set off the Yellowstone Caldera and just finish it. :P

Speaking for myself, and for a few friends, I know more people that have done some life re-evaluation during COVID than during 9/11, I assume because this has had a direct impact on everyone more so than the actual 9/11 attacks (only later would that come into play). Looking back in 20 years of post-9/11 is a bit strange and I'm sure after time passes when COVID has become more normalized this past year and half (and longer) will be 'interesting' as well. 2016-2020 just seemed like one long slog of bullshit.

I forget if I dropped this on another thread but this twitter thread had some reminders of the craziness in those first years after 9/11:

https://twitter.com/ExileGrimm/status/1436340416513810434

And yeah, this place was a bit nuts around that time. I think I stopped lurking right around then.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:52 pm

denise wrote:Having been here and having edumacated myself as much as is humanly possible I certainly don't see the response to 911 as simple justice or even quid pro quo. That being said I also don't see this pandemic as the result of a bat soup recipe gone awry.

Julian Assange made the call in 2011 or 2012. Iraq and Afghanistan were not about winning or making America and the world safer, they were about fleecing the American and European taxpayers for as long as possible. If a “strategy” appears incomprehensible, then the best way to figure out motive is to look at the outcomes.

Biden was right to call it quits, he just royally fucked up the execution because the Sec of Defense thought it was more important to have a 2 month stand down to root out white supremacy than to plan for an orderly exit that allowed for the safe exit of any Americans and SIVs that wanted to leave.

Reading the Afghanistan Papers, the whole thing was a shit show from the beginning.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

( . )( . )

Postby el3so » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 pm

Think I was lurking back then, internet still being a new thing. The office came with an ashtray. Times change.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby ROB » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:41 pm

Tarkan wrote:Biden was right to call it quits

Look at Tarkan riding Biden's cock. Fucking commie.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:04 am

denise wrote:This place was so happening even I stumbled upon it. Miss it and the many courageous interesting intelligent well spoken insightful yet still incredibly hilarious inhabitants. Present company excluded as you are still here. So anyway where were you then and where are you now?

Ha, back in September 2001 I was 16 years old and just gearing up to go for my undergraduate university entrance interviews! Had never left Europe at that stage. In fact, I would not leave Europe for another five years, at which point I moved to Khartoum, Sudan.

But anyways, today I'm in Tunis as most of you already know, busy writing the Bradt Travel Guide to Tunisia (1st Edition) and filming my adventures for my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/ScafidiTravels
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:07 am

20 years ago I was working in a Blockbuster Video store (seriously). Fortunately I developed other skills in the meantime. I'm currently pursuing a lucrative and hopefully long-lasting career as a designer of internal combustion engines.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe