It was 20 years ago today...

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: It was 20 years ago today...

Postby RYP » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:58 pm

I was just in Northern Chad tracking bad people and gold smugglers. Took a couple of days to visit the Ennedi. Broke two cars. The local secret squirrels sent up an armed drone to hover over my location if Boko swung by.

Got into a fight with my driver. He said air conditioning wasn't in the contract. I told him he had turned it on and I turned it off. Then it got ugly. Somewhere in the Sahara is a Garmin watch. If you find it...you can keep it. Just released the hammertoe Titanium HEST Urban. Working on docs and books. same shit, different decade.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Darcy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 pm

I was in Baku. Didn't know shit, just eating it all up. Not much different two decades later...
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:38 pm

Darcy wrote:I was in Baku. Didn't know shit, just eating it all up. Not much different two decades later...

Quick story as I'm kinda drunk right now... but we were returning from a rig down near the Iranian border, and Iran was contesting the border, as apparently the border shifts depending on if you classify the Caspian as a sea or ocean or lake or some-such. So once in awhile Iran would launch F5s and Azerbaijan would respond with closing their airspace, as they had shit to counter Iran. So we are coming back and Iran launches their F5s and Azerbaijan closes their airspace and tells us we can't land in Baku, we have to return to the rig. The rig has zero fuel so that would fuck us up indefinitely, so the guy I'm flying with says to Baku (Zabrat tower) to arrest us if you have to but we are returning. The Azeri translator onboard is shitting himself, I don't know shit but going with the other guy... tower yelling now we must land back at the rig or we'd be arrested. AIRSPACE closed. We keep motoring in and land in Zabrat. Nothing happens. All I'm thinking is I absolutely love this shit. Twenty years later, still doing it....

Watched the twin towers go down at Adams (expat bar) and things went for shit, but we kept flying. Been threatened with arrest in Benin, Tanzania, Senegal and Guinea-Bissau since. Just went with my buddy's ignore-it-it-will-go-away and its worked so far.

Switching to tea now...
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe