Kidnapping in Haiti

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Kidnapping in Haiti

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:15 am

My dads cousin's wife is a missionary and we bonded a bit over Haiti.

"I tell everyone I meet not to do a Mission in Haiti. Christianity is well established there and regular church groups don't need to go. It is too risky"
"Yep" I said. "Couldnt agree more, and the fixers the church groups set them up with always seem to cause more trouble than they solve"
So she began to give that as advice:
"We want our youth group to do a mission in Haiti"
"Don't"
"But we have a sister church there who has arranged a guide and .."
"That guide will rape the girls and get everyone in a situation where they have to pay money to someone to live"
"But Tony Campalo said that.."
" He has not been back since the early 1980s"
"But Paul"
"Martyrs are for stories, not a state you aspire for your children"

I dig Haiti but more people gotta listen to my dad's cousin's wife.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Kidnapping in Haiti

Postby Darcy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 pm

I know its quasi-evil, but the cats I work with have had numerous Haiti contracts when the UN was there, trying their best to do good (I honestly think) but fucking things up. I kinda hope the latest news gets us back in. I prefer warmer climates.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 am

Darcy wrote:I know its quasi-evil, but the cats I work with have had numerous Haiti contracts when the UN was there, trying their best to do good (I honestly think) but fucking things up. I kinda hope the latest news gets us back in. I prefer warmer climates.

MINUSTAH were some of the most evil fuckers I have seen. Firing into slums with high power rifles, driving away locals so the beach can be UN only, unleashing rapey Bangladeshis and Jordanians into Delmas.
The contractors werent bad though, but the good ones would have been crushed by the actual UN.
Robbery and rape was so lucrative that the Bangldeshi army had a mutiny because UN deployments to Haiti were not distributed evenly.
Then they brought Cholera.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:33 am

Damn. The aircrew I know working those UN contracts only spoke about keeping their heads down, I’ve often heard of abuses, and often of them being ineffectual, but not as deteriorating a situation to that extent Well meaning in intent, at least. Other options to stabilize Haiti????
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:39 pm

Darcy wrote:Damn. The aircrew I know working those UN contracts only spoke about keeping their heads down, I’ve often heard of abuses, and often of them being ineffectual, but not as deteriorating a situation to that extent Well meaning in intent, at least. Other options to stabilize Haiti????

When you talk to Haitian gang members they say "send aid, we will get it to the people" (meaning they will steal and sell it) when I was there not asingle bit of USAID cooking oil was given away but you could buy it in every market.

When I talked to regular people they all said "stop sending aid, send MINUSTAH home".

Before 1916 Haitis currency was backed by gold. Which FDR and Josephus Daniels siezed after the US invasion (Daniels formented a coup and then a massacre in Wilmington North Carolina of elected African Americans). They also ripped up Haitis rail and street cars so shipping would be dependent on US Military trucks and to limit the movement of people. So usually the worst stuff to happen to Haiti has been attempts to "help" it.
Weshould give back their gold and leave.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:22 am

Kurt wrote:
Darcy wrote:Damn. The aircrew I know working those UN contracts only spoke about keeping their heads down, I’ve often heard of abuses, and often of them being ineffectual, but not as deteriorating a situation to that extent Well meaning in intent, at least. Other options to stabilize Haiti????

When you talk to Haitian gang members they say "send aid, we will get it to the people" (meaning they will steal and sell it) when I was there not asingle bit of USAID cooking oil was given away but you could buy it in every market.

When I talked to regular people they all said "stop sending aid, send MINUSTAH home".

Before 1916 Haitis currency was backed by gold. Which FDR and Josephus Daniels siezed after the US invasion (Daniels formented a coup and then a massacre in Wilmington North Carolina of elected African Americans). They also ripped up Haitis rail and street cars so shipping would be dependent on US Military trucks and to limit the movement of people. So usually the worst stuff to happen to Haiti has been attempts to "help" it.

Should give back their gold.

Shouldn't make a gold standard though.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am

ROB wrote:
Kurt wrote:

Should give back their gold.

Shouldn't make a gold standard though.

Agreed but I think two standards could be used. Mint and sell "Gold Gourdes" or something. But no matter what they do it should be returned with Gold interest and let them either be smart or dumb with it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 am

Having currency standards is almost always bad for poor people.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:19 pm

Still nothing.

The problem with Ivy league school based intel gathering is they focus on ruling families there. The ruling families do not want to tell the US government that they funded street gangs as a path to political power and to take a cut of aid money, so no one is learning anything useful.

I suspect French Intel will get better information.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe