My parents and sister got COVID

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: My parents and sister got COVID

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:56 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:How are they feeling? I hope that their illness is minimal and that their recovery is smooth.

I’m thinking of getting a 2nd booster. Can’t hurt, except the day following of headache and malaise with that icky feeling of existential dread, which is what I imagine the long Covid would be like.

They are all doing well.

Apparently viral load = better chance of long COVID. And, of course, viral load is reduced by the vaccine.
They grew up at the height of Polio. Field trips in High School were often to sing for a classmate in an iron lung. A few people their age adopted the anti-vax stance but they were all dead by this past summer.

The funny thing is, my parents were always fatalists. Its a Scandinavian thing. Man is victimized by his own hubris and therefore has no right to complain, nature wants you to die so you are recycled back into the earth etc. etc. But they are kind of gloaty now in their old age when they outlive people who are within their age range.
So I think they enjoyed their survival more than someone my age would enjoy it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: My parents and sister got COVID

Postby Vincent » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:50 pm

Sorry to hear this Kurt, but glad the fam is recovering well.
"Too bad my real life experiences lead me to believe they're just like the rest of us: 5% assholes, 5% good people and 90% scenery." - el3so, BFC philosopher and bon vivant.
Vincent
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe