I had no right to overturn the election

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

I had no right to overturn the election

Postby ROB » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:34 am

"President Trump is wrong. I had no right to overturn the election," Pence continued. "The presidency belongs to the American people, and the American people alone. Frankly there is almost no idea more un-American than the notion that any one person could choose the American president."
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Re: I had no right to overturn the election

Postby snaark » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:18 pm

ROB wrote:"Frankly there is almost no idea more un-American than the notion that any one person could choose the American president."

...apart from maybe all Americans having an equal say in who becomes president. I mean THAT would be really un-American.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:41 pm

At least he finally said it.

The back story to this is that he Phoned Dan Quayle and asked if he could do it and Quayle basically said "Don't do it Mike, thats illegal."

So Yay Dan Quayle.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:56 am

Kurt wrote:At least he finally said it.

The back story to this is that he Phoned Dan Quayle and asked if he could do it and Quayle basically said "Don't do it Mike, thats illegal."

So Yay Dan Quayle.

I think we do have to remember that there were actually republicans who truly believed in the constitution etc above raw power. They have mainly been shunted away, but they are still there.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:05 pm

ROB wrote:

So Yay Dan Quayle.

I think we do have to remember that there were actually republicans who truly believed in the constitution etc above raw power. They have mainly been shunted away, but they are still there.

What I heard was what Pence did NOT say, which was that the election was fair and legal, that the lies perpetrated from the GOP about the election are wrong, that their false narrative must be put to rest. He didn’t say any of that.

I haven’t heard any of these Republicans extolling the Constitution above raw power, at least not in any forceful and meaningful way.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:49 am

So Pence is already gearing up for a presidential campaign?
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:04 am

gnaruki wrote:So Pence is already gearing up for a presidential campaign?

Gearing up for a campaign and trying not to go to jail are pretty much the same thing now.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:47 am

All depends on who is in power.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:09 am

seektravelinfo wrote:
ROB wrote:

So Yay Dan Quayle.

What I heard was what Pence did NOT say, which was that the election was fair and legal, that the lies perpetrated from the GOP about the election are wrong, that their false narrative must be put to rest. He didn’t say any of that.

I haven’t heard any of these Republicans extolling the Constitution above raw power, at least not in any forceful and meaningful way.

Then you didn't look real hard.

This took about 4 seconds to find.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... 9a2ba2f684

And I doubt most of these folks were defending the election.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_R ... l_campaign
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:27 pm

ROB wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:
ROB wrote:

So Yay Dan Quayle.

Then you didn't look real hard.

This took about 4 seconds to find.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... 9a2ba2f684

And I doubt most of these folks were defending the election.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_R ... l_campaign

You overestimate the GOP voter. I repeat, the party response to Trump’s machinations is tepid amongst those elected officials and dignitaries (few) who oppose Trump (and I wouldn’t even say “oppose”, they just look askance in mild dismay) no matter what Wikipedia and Forbes Magazine tell you when you google.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:22 pm

"trust me"

just lol
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe