Attempted assassination of Louisville mayoral candidate

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Attempted assassination of Louisville mayoral candidate

Postby Kurt » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 pm

Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Attempted assassination of Louisville mayoral candidate

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:43 am

Might as well go for a three card rhumba and be non binary.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:37 am

Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:32 am

It was a shame they identified the suspect so soon ...I was hoping Seek was going to blame the attack on a right-wing racist plot.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:38 pm

Tarkan wrote:It was a shame they identified the suspect so soon ...I was hoping Seek was going to blame the attack on a right-wing racist plot.

I figured that is what it was at first. I should have known that a neo Nazi would have probably been a better shot.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:00 pm

Kurt wrote:
Tarkan wrote:It was a shame they identified the suspect so soon ...I was hoping Seek was going to blame the attack on a right-wing racist plot.

I figured that is what it was at first. I should have known that a neo Nazi would have probably been a better shot.

There's the better proficiency with firearms angle, and the there is also the fact that there just aren't that many right-wing nutters that try to assassinate politicians. Shoot up a church full of black people, throw bacon at a Mosque, sure. But political assassination? Not unless the FBI is goading them.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:01 pm

Tarkan wrote:
Kurt wrote:

There's the better proficiency with firearms angle, and the there is also the fact that there just aren't that many right-wing nutters that try to assassinate politicians. Shoot up a church full of black people, throw bacon at a Mosque, sure. But political assassination? Not unless the FBI is goading them.

The state with the most political assassinations is Arkansas followed by Kentucky. The most popular reason to try to kill a politician, historically, in the US is the perception or promise of a patronage job. Either someone is crazy and is deluded into thinking they were due for a job or else they were promised a job and didn't deliver.

Second most common is just crazy people. Sometimes the patronage expectation was combined with the crazy (Charles Guiteau killing President Garfield is an example of this) Mayor Cermak of Chicago was killed by a guy who was most likely driven made by gallbladder pain, and FDR may have been the target.

A weird one from Tennesse is Byron "Low Tax" Looper shot and killed his opponent, a Democrat named Tommy Burkes.
Looper changed his name legally to Low Tax and was a frequent losing candidate who switched parties based on his opponents. So I classify him as a Democrat / Republican and Crazy assassin, since he covers all bases.

Another odd one is the Murder of Robert Smith Vance in Texas by Walter Moody via mail bomb. Moody was angry that Judge Vance refused to expunge his past possession of explosives conviction.

The "Activist" assassinations seem to follow a similar pattern. Someone who is a businessman (failed) and "Community Activist" gets pissy when something does not go their way and kills the person responsible (or tries). This may be associated with a bit of crazy as well.

Another activist one was when Otheniel Askew murdered NYC City Coucil member James Davis ...which happened right accross the street where I used to work, I saw them both carried out and both were still alive (I was on the 21st Floor so my view may have been off). Davis was a retired cop so he was allowed to carry a firearm and City Council never made their own members or their guests pass through a metal detector and Askew was his guest. Askew shot Davis and a bodyguard or another Coucil member shot Askew. Askew wanted David to appoint him as his successor but Davis wanted his brother to succeed him so Askew shot him, right before Davis could stand up and give a speech introducing Askew and recognizing his work as a community activist.

Later Davis' brother ran for the seat as a Democrat but was beaten by Letiticia James who ran as a Third Party candidate and beat them. Now she is the AG of New York and is a a pain in the ass to Trump, Cuomo, and the NRA.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:30 pm

The assassination of President Garfield was one of the great tragedies of the United States of America. He would have handled Reconstruction differently, without the concessions to the defeated Confederate States of America. Instead, the country was put on a course of codified racial segregation, denial of voting rights and education, “look the other way” domestic terrorism (lynchings, rapes and destruction of Black people’s homes) and a critical failure to address the immeasurable harm that was brought to human beings via slavery. President Garfield would have gone scorched earth on the ugly remnants of the defeated South. Not to teach them a lesson, but to put the country towards a unified future.
Insult to injury, his death was not caused by the bullet wound, but by physicians sticking their dirty unwashed hands into the wound, leaving him with a fatal infection.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:02 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Might as well go for a three card rhumba and be non binary.
Good with the bad I guess what with his spine not getting hit. Dude'd evolve like one of them pokemons.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby roach coach » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:13 am

Looking at the suspect's background, his "missing" period is just off. We have a ridiculous amount of untreated mental health and wellness in the states. I wonder how the trial will play out.
..................__
............/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........./'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.......('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
........\.................'...../
.........'\............. _.·´
...........\..............(
............\..............\
BROFIST
roach coach
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe