Ukraine

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Ukraine

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:12 am

babihutan wrote:
roach coach wrote:
babihutan wrote:Nothing like a good bloody war in the news to bring all of us rugged dangerous folk back together!

Shit, you're telling me. It's been way too long. I'm glad to see this place still going strong.

Yeah the dysfunctional family is still together, and not as quarrelsome as before. Though I have no idea where Mr Pelton is these days.

He's on the Tweeters mostly I think: https://twitter.com/RYP__

Tarkan - There's always at least a few comments on reddit any time Russian 'strategy' is brought up referencing that guy and Foundations of Geopolitics. I wonder if this is a thing that just happen to turn true (like we've seen with some sci-fi shows and technology, etc) or if they are taking it seriously as a playbook. Guess only those within the inner circle will know.

I have a feeling it's more basic than that and the existential problems + the attitude of the 90's insanity to hang onto everything at all costs drives so much of this. Think of 89-92 and how everything people in Russia had ever known fell apart pretty rapidly and how traumatizing that would be. It will be 'interesting' to see how the current economic shock for this new generation will play out.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Akephalos » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:08 pm

I am part of a small US veteran's group that is interested in coordinating donations of old military clothing items to Ukraine to support the war effort.

A friend with State said to contact the UA embassy, but the lines have been busy and the site is down (almost certainly under DDoS attack). Same with the consulates.

Any ideas on alternate points of contact?

PS - Good to see you fuckers are still at it. Used to post here a lot under a different name, but that guy was an asshole.
"No one of consequence."
Akephalos

Postby vagabond » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:35 am

Akephalos wrote:I am part of a small US veteran's group that is interested in coordinating donations of old military clothing items to Ukraine to support the war effort.

A friend with State said to contact the UA embassy, but the lines have been busy and the site is down (almost certainly under DDoS attack). Same with the consulates.

Any ideas on alternate points of contact?

PS - Good to see you fuckers are still at it. Used to post here a lot under a different name, but that guy was an asshole.

What is dead may never die...

To your question: maybe donate money directly? https://bank.gov.ua/en/news/all/natsion ... ebi-armiyi
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:24 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60532634

Everyone should just leave because he's not going to stop. Workers in the multiple nuclear power plants around the country last please. Pick a shift after most of the population has left and everyone just not show up. Let's see if his soldiers can run them. Let's hope the wind is prevailing from the west headed east.

Putin is trying to gain Ukraine as a population. Deny him that. Countries around the world are offering unlimited immigration. Take them up on it and let him have his hole in the ground after the whole thing blows up in his face. Fuck him.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Kurt » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:05 pm

Ignoring the nutballs in the US who are "pro-Russia" in this invasion (like Nick Fuentes of the Groypers does not count) Here are some prominent people who support Russia is this invasion:

Douglas MacGregor: Former Sr. Advisor to the Secretary of Defense (under Trump) claimed that the Russians have been "too gentle" with Ukraine and Ukraine could have avoided this by being "neutral". Would provide a like but there are many to choose from in google so just search his name)

Candace Owens: "I suggest every American who wants to know what’s *actually* going on in Russia and Ukraine, read this transcript of Putin’s address. As I’ve said for month — NATO (under direction from the United States) is violating previous agreements and expanding eastward. WE are at fault." (that sound pro-Putin to me)

Trump called Putin a genius and before the invasion called the military build up a "peace force" but he has spoken out against the invasion since it happened.

Tucker Carlson tried to pull a Muhammad Ali by claiming that Putin never called him a racist and Putin never tried to get him fired so we should all question why we hate Putin and if that hatred may be misplaced.

Anyone else? Sympathies dont count. They gotta support the invasion of Ukraine. So far it seems to just be MacGregor.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:38 pm

Gerhard Schröder - still BFFs with Putin, still on Gazprom's board
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Akephalos » Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:20 pm

vagabond wrote:What is dead may never die...

Iä! Iä!

vagabond wrote:To your question: maybe donate money directly?

That too. The thinking was that serviceable OIF/OEF-era gear would be of a higher quality than anything most volunteers could procure on the civilian market, especially if they're already in-country. Also, by donating our gear, we're freeing up funds for other equipment. Win-win.

Turns out there's an org in Kyiv named—wait for it—Come Back Alive that does this sort of thing. Trying to get in touch with them.
"No one of consequence."
Akephalos

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:18 pm

There’re rumors that Putin is suffering from terminal bowel cancer and that steroids make his face puffy, the pain makes him grumpy and the reason he has people keep a 20 ft. distance is because the cancer treatments leave his immunity to Covid compromised. So I guess that’s why we’re not seeing him ride a bear into Ukraine.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:17 am

babihutan wrote: I imagine in mainland Europe, the vibe is pretty intense and uncertain right now?
Yeah, kinda, what with the information war and today's news media. People believe what they want to believe IMO.
Akephalos wrote: Iä! Iä!
Case in point.
"When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky."
Welcome back.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:38 pm

Just a guess...Russian "peacekeepers" into Moldova next in order to "protect" the people in Transnistria from Moldovan "genocide."
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:45 pm

Michael wrote:Just a guess...Russian "peacekeepers" into Moldova next in order to "protect" the people in Transnistria from Moldovan "genocide."

That seemed to be what was on Lukashenko's map.

The Romanians will jump in if anyone attack's Moldova. Then things will get weird.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:49 am

Kurt wrote:
Michael wrote:Just a guess...Russian "peacekeepers" into Moldova next in order to "protect" the people in Transnistria from Moldovan "genocide."

That seemed to be what was on Lukashenko's map.

The Romanians will jump in if anyone attack's Moldova. Then things will get weird.

Things have been weird since David Bowie and Prince died in the same year.

One thing I've been trying to think about is what are the end states for everyone. Given the US's history on long-term planning, I doubt there's much of a plan for what happens when/if the war ends, how to wind down sanctions, what end result is wanted. What about NATO, which people thought little of despite its involvement in Afghanistan and Libya, now possibly getting surprise new members and creating future tensions (if Finland and Ukraine enter)? And what about the Russian people, who really didn't have much of a choice in all this but are now getting royally fucked. Going to be a very 'weird' year.

I'm assuming we're heading for some other issues with gas prices spiking, future wheat / fertilizer exports being cut, etc. It *could* be good impetus more fully move off the oil teat but I doubt our Saudi and other corporate masters give a shit. They didn't before the war.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:17 am

It would seem that if Russia does get the upper hand in Ukraine they are going to have their hands full for a while, so maybe Moldova is safe for a bit.

Russia seems kinda screwed even if the response form the west is tepid. It seems that the EU is spooked enough to try to get off of Russian oil and gas. Lets see if they succeed.

NATO will spread to Finland and maybe Sweden. Putin is not going to like that.

Not sure what the Russian people are thinking. I suspect Putin remains popular with the meat and potatoes crowd. The guide I had when I climbed Elbrus thought Trump was the best thing to happen to the US.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:54 am

^They get their version of Russian state FOX News 24/7. Every other station/radio/newspaper has been silenced with the threat of 15 years imprisonment. Only real news is through a phone call from the outside. Putin's learned a few things from China.

People must be wondering though. With McDonald's (and they're big there, some 800+ locations), Pepsico, Starbucks, etc. all pulling out their world is going to look bleaker and bleaker as the weeks wear on. That and the 14,000 plus people jailed for protesting the war so far.
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby shivers » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:29 pm

Kurt wrote:I am kind of hoping he gets strung up but nations tend to protect their shitty leaders in their own way, as we have done and are doing.

I am kind of hoping he gets a taste of his own medicine. If stories from the war zone are to be believed, enough FSB are fed up with bloatyface, it could actually happen.

He can't neutralize all his enemies if he keeps making more.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe