Ukraine

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Ukraine

Postby shivers » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:37 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:...his immunity to Covid compromised.

Ha! Much easier than some exotic poison. Someone close to him could fake a negative covid test, then cough in his face.

So who runs the show if bloaty goes on a ventilator?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:26 pm

shivers wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:...his immunity to Covid compromised.

Ha! Much easier than some exotic poison. Someone close to him could fake a negative covid test, then cough in his face.

So who runs the show if bloaty goes on a ventilator?

There’s not any substance to the rumor that I can see. The idea that he is sick with cancer comes from an ex-Royal Navy officer postulating.

Putin didn’t start his 20 ft. distance requirement until February. He tried to make Macron take a Soviet administered Covid test prior to their meeting. Macron refused. So did Germany’s Scholz. Common sense. Who wouldn’t balk at a Russian coming at them with a nasal swab?
Thus the 20 ft. conference table. When Putin met with China’s President he didn’t “social distance”. I guess Putin was just fucking with Western Europe by making them sit 20 ft. away.

Trump’s defeat for re-election did a number on Vlad. He was gobsmacked.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:46 am

Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Postby ROB » Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:33 am

The really fun part of this is that a very large portion of the response to Russia has been done by non-government sectors.

With nukes in play, that's a really fun place to be.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:10 pm

Kurt question...I get info from Ian Bremmer's Eurasia Group. An e-mail that came in today basically "Six things you can do to help Ukraine better." One of the items was "donate money" with links to a variety of NGO websites, one of which was "Come Back Alive." Scam? Somebody using the name? Or this site?
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:10 pm

I noticed that too. I think somebody just came up with the same name. Coincidence. Could be wrong I guess.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:01 am

There's a post in this thread from Akephalos mentioning that that's a charity over there.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:24 am

Thanks ROB and Vagabond...I've gotten into the habit of vetting stuff on-line. The current unpleasantness in the Bloodlands makes it ripe for scammers.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:53 pm

Michael wrote:Kurt question...I get info from Ian Bremmer's Eurasia Group. An e-mail that came in today basically "Six things you can do to help Ukraine better." One of the items was "donate money" with links to a variety of NGO websites, one of which was "Come Back Alive." Scam? Somebody using the name? Or this site?

Never heard of that. If there is a link feel free to post it here. Do it lime thins in case it is scammy: comebackalive.com should be comebackalive[.]com
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Michael » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:33 pm

Thanks, Kurt. I pursued it a little further. You can actually find them on Wikipedia (where there is a disclaimer about not confusing them with a book of the same title.) Looks to be a rather interesting and legitimate organization.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:33 am

https://www[.]comebackalive.in.ua/
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:36 am

Madeline Albright:

Until the end of her life, Albright was sounding the alarm about Putin's intentions and character and she predicted the strategic disaster and bloody resistance he would face if he invaded Ukraine.

"Instead of paving Russia's path to greatness, invading Ukraine would ensure Mr. Putin's infamy by leaving his country diplomatically isolated, economically crippled and strategically vulnerable in the face of a stronger, more united Western alliance," Albright wrote in an essay in The New York Times on the eve of the war last month. "Ukraine is entitled to its sovereignty, no matter who its neighbors happen to be. In the modern era, great countries accept that, and so must Mr. Putin," Albright wrote. "That is the message undergirding recent Western diplomacy. It defines the difference between a world governed by the rule of law and one answerable to no rules at all."
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Tarkan » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:09 pm

sparrow wrote:Madeline Albright:

Until the end of her life, Albright was sounding the alarm about Putin's intentions and character and she predicted the strategic disaster and bloody resistance he would face if he invaded Ukraine.

"Instead of paving Russia's path to greatness, invading Ukraine would ensure Mr. Putin's infamy by leaving his country diplomatically isolated, economically crippled and strategically vulnerable in the face of a stronger, more united Western alliance," Albright wrote in an essay in The New York Times on the eve of the war last month. "Ukraine is entitled to its sovereignty, no matter who its neighbors happen to be. In the modern era, great countries accept that, and so must Mr. Putin," Albright wrote. "That is the message undergirding recent Western diplomacy. It defines the difference between a world governed by the rule of law and one answerable to no rules at all."

The Cold War called and want their policy back.

Isn't that what Obama told Romney when he named Russia as our biggest strategic opponent?
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:44 am

sparrow
Canadia

Postby sparrow » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:09 am

sparrow
Canadia