56 years ago that hero climbed that tower in Texas

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: 56 years ago that hero climbed that tower in Texas

Postby ROB » Mon May 30, 2022 12:10 pm

Tarkan wrote:Considering the stories coming out about just how badly the cops fucked up here, disarming law abiding citizens and putting my family’s safety further in the hands of cops with qualified immunity who don’t give a shit about you or your family seems like a really stupid idea.

Yeah, much better to expect Betty the librarian and Shanile the lunch lady to use their pea shooters to hunt down a dude with an AR15 like they're Dirty fucking Harry.

Fuck you are a clown.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon May 30, 2022 3:40 pm

Tarkan wrote:Considering the stories coming out about just how badly the cops fucked up here, disarming law abiding citizens and putting my family’s safety further in the hands of cops with qualified immunity who don’t give a shit about you or your family seems like a really stupid idea.

What do you think would have happened had armed, law abiding citizens approached the scene with an AR-15 hoping to go in there and save the kids?

I am also curious as to what people who worry about " disarming" citizens think it will happen? I dont think there is the time or resources to just go get them. Plus it would be crazy dangerous.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon May 30, 2022 6:10 pm

Kurt wrote:I am also curious as to what people who worry about " disarming" citizens think it will happen? I dont think there is the time or resources to just go get them. Plus it would be crazy dangerous.

What if ……… every gun purchased & presumably registered required a fee to be paid into a national victim compensation fund, with an annual renewal fee as well. Then later, in order to purchase ammunition proof of fees paid required to be shown. Failure to pay the fees to result in forfeiture of gun license and denial of hunting permits.

In order to legally smoke marijuana in my state I was required to pay $250 for a medical consultation fee (doc allowed to keep part of it, rest went to the state) AND a $60 license fee. Rinse & repeat per annum.

Every year I must pay to renew my car license plates and every 4 years I must pay to renew my driver license, as well as paying auto insurance as required by law.

It’s fair. Freedom isn’t free.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon May 30, 2022 6:34 pm

That seems like a lot of effort just to smoke a bit of dope Seeks.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Mon May 30, 2022 6:43 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:
Kurt wrote:I am also curious as to what people who worry about " disarming" citizens think it will happen? I dont think there is the time or resources to just go get them. Plus it would be crazy dangerous.

What if ……… every gun purchased & presumably registered required a fee to be paid into a national victim compensation fund, with an annual renewal fee as well. Then later, in order to purchase ammunition proof of fees paid required to be shown. Failure to pay the fees to result in forfeiture of gun license and denial of hunting permits.

In order to legally smoke marijuana in my state I was required to pay $250 for a medical consultation fee (doc allowed to keep part of it, rest went to the state) AND a $60 license fee. Rinse & repeat per annum.

Every year I must pay to renew my car license plates and every 4 years I must pay to renew my driver license, as well as paying auto insurance as required by law.

If I buy a boring ass car that cannot hit 80mph I still gotta buy liability insurance and in NYC i gotta buy "no fault" insurance (means if my mirrors gets knocked out when parked that my insurance has gotta pay but it is not considered mine or anyone elses fault). If i buy a stupid fast car I gotta pay more.

We should do the same for guns. Dont take any away, just demand liability insurance.
If 18 year olds can buy an AR 15 no problem, but if an insurance company wont insure an 18 year old then the sale cant go through.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby SRR » Mon May 30, 2022 6:48 pm

I mean, Chris Rock has been advocating for bullet control for over a decade and no one seems to listen:

"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Kurt » Mon May 30, 2022 6:49 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:That seems like a lot of effort just to smoke a bit of dope Seeks.

Its almost impossible to get busted for it now. Unless you do an illegal grow and Uhaul it across Nebraska.

In NYC i can walk around with 3oz and have 1/2 lb in my house. I can smoke it ouside wherever cigs are permitted.

it starts with the medical stuff first then evolves.

Still illegal in the UK?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:06 pm

Still illegal over here though I don't bother with it anymore.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon May 30, 2022 10:12 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:That seems like a lot of effort just to smoke a bit of dope Seeks.

It’s just more convenient for me to purchase from a dispensary.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue May 31, 2022 6:04 pm

Kurt wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:

If I buy a boring ass car that cannot hit 80mph I still gotta buy liability insurance and in NYC i gotta buy "no fault" insurance (means if my mirrors gets knocked out when parked that my insurance has gotta pay but it is not considered mine or anyone elses fault). If i buy a stupid fast car I gotta pay more.

Mandatory insurance is a lot like mandatory inspections. It's less about safety and more about government regulatory capture leading to government enforced revenue streams for insurance companies and state inspection companies.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue May 31, 2022 7:16 pm

Tarkan wrote:
Kurt wrote:
seektravelinfo wrote:

Mandatory insurance is a lot like mandatory inspections. It's less about safety and more about government regulatory capture leading to government enforced revenue streams for insurance companies and state inspection companies.

I have lived in States that have no mandatory inspections but they still have mandatory liability insurance. If someone gets in an accident without it then they go bankrupt and maybe get a fine for not having it, but then the County would pay for the hospital bills of the injured (after the injured declines the bill) so it does not seem like that is really a revenue generator for the state.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Tue May 31, 2022 7:55 pm

It's not a revenue generator for the state, it's a revenue generator for the insurance companies - who lobby/bribe the state legislatures to pass laws favorable to their industry. Regulatory and political capture is also one of the reasons why we don't have a national insurance market and everything is split up state by state - because it benefits "Big Insurance".
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe