Helping Tropical People Settle in Cold Places

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Helping Tropical People Settle in Cold Places

Postby Kurt » Fri May 27, 2022 1:34 pm

My wife's cousin and his wife just settled in Brompton OT.

Not a "Canadian Cold" place but it is certainly cold for Nigerians.

So far my advice for people making the move from warm to cold is this:

1. A coat is assumed. So when someone says "wear hat and gloves" they assume you know enough to be wearing a coat.

2. Remove and store your AC unit if it is a window or a wall unit. If unable to wrap it up and insulate it (cannot count how many apartments I have been to in NYC where the window units are just left in and they seem unaware that keeping cold out is just as important as providing heat)

3. Using your yard as storage will piss off your neighbors and destroy your stuff, even if it something like a shovel or a rake. (still cannot quite communicate this to my wife)

I know there are others but tips from Canadians would be appreciated. Like What kind of coat is best for that area? I am always a fan of heavy wool myself but NYC is wet-cold and wool might not be the best for that area.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Helping Tropical People Settle in Cold Places

Postby Kurt » Fri May 27, 2022 1:50 pm

oh, Any banks they need to avoid? Or any bank better than others?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Long John's.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 am

Footwear. Waterproofed boots. No such thing as completely waterproof boots unless you wear rubber boots which are misery in the cold. Wool socks, not cotton. When the dampness seeps in cotton socks absorb all that moisture and wool socks don’t. When I’m gonna be out in a lot of snow I wrap my feet in plastic grocery bags before putting my boots on. Not very sexy, but it helps a lot.

A fur coat is the warmest coat.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat May 28, 2022 2:41 am

Is that Brampton, Ontario?

It tends to be damp in addition to cold in the winter, meaning anything made of metal will turn to rust in the winter, another reason to keep wall units inside.

I'll go on the basis that they may take public transit, so advice given (long johns, waterproof footwear, toque) is very good. Brampton is very dull and suburban and kinda sucks and Toronto is a while away via transit.

It is also dark and usually cloudy so taking advantage of the sun is good for the mental health, Perhaps go for a walk in the woods. There is actually quite a few good places for that near Brampton may be a 20 minute drive away.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sat May 28, 2022 2:43 am

Kurt wrote:oh, Any banks they need to avoid? Or any bank better than others?

the big 5 banks are pretty well all the same.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:36 am

Get out and learn to enjoy bad weather!

My good buddy married a Venezuelan gal. Brought her back up to the North, where we would get a 2 month stretch every winter where the temps didn't get above -30. He bought her thee best winter gear, but she couldn't do it. Ended up depressed and wouldn't leave the house. He ended up moving to Brazil with her.

Others have faired far better. The trick is to embrace it. Take up snowshoeing, pouring maple syrup on snow and eating it, sledding and alcohol are always a great mix, cross country skiing, talking about how tough you are over a smokey peaty single malt, bonfires and social gatherings. Get out!

It's the same for anywhere. I was kinda nervous when I started into the International market, but a good friend told me to embrace everywhere you go; make friends with the locals, find out what they are into and jump right in. Bowling, digging for clams, theatre, concerts, kid's birthday parties.... dive in like you are home amongst family. 40 plus countries later, that advice has made my life one I absolutely love.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:42 pm

As far as cold weather gear goes, a merino base layer next to the skin can't be beat! My longjohns come out at 15 F and colder but you can wear them whenever you are cold. Nothing but wool socks too. A woolen cap (can be itchy unless you go with merino again) and one of those merino Buff neck things. Keep your ears covered, and you lose a ton of heat from the head and neck.

It's pricy but I wear a lot of Patagonia, their R1 sweater is this pretty incredibly warm sweater I keep with me year round, cool summer evenings or as a layer in the cold. It's my standard go to if ever I feel a chill. Anything similar would do the trick, I'm sure there's cheaper options out there.

Way over-priced but the Canada Goose down stuff can't be beat for warmth. Their Resolute parka is the defacto standard in the Arctic, like every third person is wearing one, but their lesser jackets are well designed and very warm. Baffin boots are the warmest to be had as well. In extreme cold, doing stupid shit like ice climbing, I'd wear polypropylene liner socks under a goretex sock THEN the thick wool over those. Your feet stank at the end of the day but your toes would never get cold. For regular cold just wool socks and good boots wil suffice.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe