Sydney Got More Rain in 4 Days Than London Does Annually

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Sydney Got More Rain in 4 Days Than London Does Annually

Postby el3so » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:40 am

snaark wrote:I spent most of my childhood playing in bushland that was supposed to be teeming with snakes (no, that's not a euphemism). Never saw a single one. In fact the only snakes I've ever seen in the wild have been the ones I've run over (not being very smart animals, they like to warm themselves up on the road). I also spent most of my teenage years surfing and never saw a single shark. Been diving with them a few times but only the non-bitey kind and only when we went looking for them.
What about crocodiles?

They reintroduced wolves round here. I don't mind.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby snaark » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:22 am

Crocs are only in the far north where almost nobody lives.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

TMI

Postby denise » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:22 am

australians: good lookers that talk funny what else do we really need to know.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:07 pm

Well, good news on the global warming front: the Netherlands is severely curtailing the of fertilizers for agriculture and reducing the # of cattle that can be raised by Dutch farm/ranch owners.

Of course, bad news for food insecure countries in the developing world that import a lot of their food, as the Dutch are anywhere from the 8th largest to the 2nd largest food exporter, but hey, as Rob poignantly has pointed out, you can't make an green friendly omelet without breaking a few 3rd world eggs.

Maybe our WEF masters are correct that we will own nothing and like it, and learn to appreciate the protein content of bugs.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:40 am

snaark wrote:I spent most of my childhood playing in bushland that was supposed to be teeming with snakes (no, that's not a euphemism). Never saw a single one. In fact the only snakes I've ever seen in the wild have been the ones I've run over (not being very smart animals, they like to warm themselves up on the road). I also spent most of my teenage years surfing and never saw a single shark. Been diving with them a few times but only the non-bitey kind and only when we went looking for them.

Sounds about right, I don't think I've seen a poisonous snake in the tropical countries I have travelled in, and apparently there are black widows around me but I have never seen one. Also apparently there a re 600,000 bears in this country and not one has had the decency to maul me.

Still in Australia, there is always the possibility, however rare, of putting on a shoe and having a Sydney Funnel Web Spider chomping on your toenail.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:01 pm

My parents used to get bears in the back yard when they lived in Elliot lake. Kinda trippy.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby snaark » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:31 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Still in Australia, there is always the possibility, however rare, of putting on a shoe and having a Sydney Funnel Web Spider chomping on your toenail.

My mother used to tell me that, if I left my shoes out at night, I should check for spiders before putting them on. She never did this herself of course, so recently she got bitten on the toe by a redback spider (similar to what you'd call a black widow). Despite being in her 70s and in not-very-good health, she got a dose of antivenom was just fine. Actually there have been no fatal spider bites in Australia in the last 40 years, so all that about dangerous spiders is bullshit.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:38 pm

Shoes in sox in crap hotels and camping in the American Southwest....That is to avoid the Bark Scorpion, the only Number #1 venomous creature the US possesses (for scorpions that is)

This is my account of encounters with spiders that were not supposed to be where I was.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55168&p=549868&hilit=Black+Widow#p549868
Kurt
In Manus Manus

More Rain

Postby el3so » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:51 pm

Had the hottest day ever... so far. Funny how that works.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: More Rain

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:19 am

el3so wrote:Had the hottest day ever... so far. Funny how that works.

Remember: WIndows open at night. Closed and curtains drawn during the day.

Let hot air out, (hopefully) and let cooler air in and then keep the cool air there.

on really hot days a fan can function like a convection oven and cause you to feel / be hotter.

I suspect the Aussies have some good advice as well.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:34 am

Kurt wrote:

Let hot air out, (hopefully) and let cooler air in and then keep the cool air there.

on really hot days a fan can function like a convection oven and cause you to feel / be hotter.

Also get central air.

Or sleep outside. Visiting India in the summer you will notice Indians sleeping on roofs. They may be on to something
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:45 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
Kurt wrote:

Also get central air.

Or sleep outside. Visiting India in the summer you will notice Indians sleeping on roofs. They may be on to something

They also shit on the pavement and tend to be a bit rapey.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby snaark » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:55 pm

Kurt wrote:I suspect the Aussies have some good advice as well.

Definitely. Turn the air-con up.

Personally I carry a car door around with me, so I can roll the window down when I get hot.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:53 am

rickshaw92 wrote:
ReptilianKittenEater wrote:
Kurt wrote:

Also get central air.

They also shit on the pavement and tend to be a bit rapey.

Probably not as much in the nicer gated neighbourhoods.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:47 pm

Kurt wrote: Let hot air out, (hopefully) and let cooler air in and then keep the cool air there.
Instructions unclear, OD-ed on sunscreen and fell off neighbors' roof.

The place is made out of bricks, isolation and more isolation, she'll be good.
Tarkan wrote: we will own nothing and like it
As if I care what a female priest from Scandinavia thinks. And not some based wiccan chick that is into psilocybin, feminism and the old ways but one from that lame orthodox thing they got going since less than 2 centuries.

Probably meant it as a cautionary tale instead of some long-term vision for an evil cabal.
el3so
Creepy Uncle

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe