Sydney Got More Rain in 4 Days Than London Does Annually

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Sydney Got More Rain in 4 Days Than London Does Annually

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:01 pm

NASA is part of the Deep State that wants people to drive electric clown cars.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Kurt wrote:NASA is part of the Deep State that wants people to drive electric clown cars.

The great irony is that it's folks like Tarkan who are the first to boast about "wE pUt a MaN oN tHe MoON" when the agenda suits.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:03 pm

ROB wrote:
Tarkan wrote:Anthropogenic global warming is a hoax.

The staggering arrogance of thinking you can state that when study after study demonstrates a consensus among actual experts is staggering.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

But sure, tell me you know more about it than fucking NASA.

Ooh, NASA. Strange appeal to authority.

Back in the Cold War, the CIA used to produce a publication called "Soviet Military Power" and would send them to Congress and various media outlets. It was all very dark with analysis and predictions. The Soviets had a lot more men than us, their nuclear missiles, aircraft, tanks, and artillery were better than ours, and their new ones coming out were even better. The intent, of course, was to drum up more funding. For the military and the CIA. Because if they had written the truth - that the bulk of Soviet equipment was trash, their training was trash, their logistics were trash, well, the truth would not have generated a $400 billion a year defense budget (in 1988 dollars, back when that was real money).

Bad news and prediction of bad news is the government rain maker when it comes to funding. No crisis, nothing to see here does not generate money.

Coal, gas, and oil account for 81% of global energy consumption. Urea fertilizers are downstream from natural gas production.

Since 1900, countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America have increased their food production by around 5x, largely by leveraging industrial inputs and mechanization into agriculture. In the same time, the population of Asia went from 900 million to 3.5 billion, Africa from 140 million to 820 million, and Latin America from 66 million to 525 million. Take away those industrial inputs - largely made possible by fossil fuels, and those populations will go right back to their pre-industrial historical norms. So, just to get things on the record, you want to condemn ~4 billion people or so to famine and death so you don't have periodic flooding?

Ok, on to NASA. Remember James Hansen? He, along with that esteemed NASA scientist Al Gore sort of got the whole global warming scare kicked off. Back in late 80s, he created 3 models (and presented the models to Congress in 1998), the accelerated model, the constant model, and what was in effect the global starvation model with drastic CO2 cuts. In the accelerated model, he predicted a 3.1 C temperature increase over a century. I'll cut straight to the spoiler: our global CO2 production matched the accelerated model. Guess what didn't match? The temperature increase. Observations from ground stations (with heat island effects) showed a 1.6 degree increase (at a 100 year scale, actual increase over the 25 year span is much less), and satellite sensing showed Hansen over-predicted temperature increase by 300%.

As an aside, also remember that the experts at NASA, with decades of experience of building rockets, have been beaten by Elon Musk, who has somehow managed to largely self-fund a rocket company that is (depending on how you measure) 10-30x cheaper than NASA at delivering payloads to orbit while also having a higher op tempo and higher reliability. But I digress. Maybe their climate science is tip-top, yah? Shame about those 4 billion people that need to die though. At least you can pat yourself on the back though for saving the world. But on to that subject. What have you done to reduce your personal CO2 consumption? Are you only eating food picked by hand from your personal garden? Refusing to buy foods trucked in to your metro area? Flown in from overseas? Did you, pre-covid, peddle your bicycle or walk to work? Have you adopted eco and global warming friendly CFL lightbulbs? Do you use a 400 watt power supply in your computer instead of an 850-watt power supply? I mean, it's all well and good trying to get governments to tyrannically impose carbon limits on other people in other places, but what personal sacrifices have you made to lead by example Rob?

How much of your convenience and luxury (and food is such a luxury) are YOU betting on James Hansen's models (which didn't even incorporate the Atlantic Conveyer Belt for a couple of decades, but weird, it didn't seem to affect his wrong predictions one iota!)?

I mean, they've been wrong for decades but maybe they are right. Finally. I mean, 97% of scientists can't possibly be wrong can they (especially when you prevent AGW-skeptic science from getting published and it takes retired fucking geologists to debunk your junk statistical models). Nothing like a little flooding in an climatologically suspect area like Austria to really bring things home and speak truth to power. Better turn off the lights, now. Just in case. Forever. Then, when that's done, you and your ideological compatriots can go back to witch burning to beat back the dying light.

Last edited by Tarkan on Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:05 pm

ROB wrote:
Kurt wrote:NASA is part of the Deep State that wants people to drive electric clown cars.

The great irony is that it's folks like Tarkan who are the first to boast about "wE pUt a MaN oN tHe MoON" when the agenda suits.

Well, it sure as fuck wasn't Australians that did it.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:23 pm

And right on cue he tells us how he knows more than NASA.

Fucking brilliant.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:30 pm

ROB wrote:And right on cue he tells us how he knows more than NASA.

Fucking brilliant.

Nah, I just know more than you and I don't inherently believe the high priest when he tells me to burn the witch like you do and points to the smoke coming out as the evil spirits.

And unlike NASA, I don't get paid more money the more dire my predictions are nor do I get rewarded for failure decade after decade. But keep praying to your modern gods, they'll save you.

And I had no idea you hated brown people so much you wanted to kill billions of them. And you guys call me the racist.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:35 am

And then throws a tantrum when somebody suggests that maybe scientists know more about science.

fucking lol
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:02 pm

ROB wrote:And then throws a tantrum when somebody suggests that maybe scientists know more about science.

fucking lol

The problem with snark and logical fallacies ROB is...it's apparently all you really have, which is sad considering you have to be pushing, what, 50? ...and still make an argument like you were 13 years old.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:37 pm

Been reading Kim Stanley Robinson's "Ministry for the Future" about climate change. Some of it is a little too relevant (wet-bulb temps in Pakistan/India, etc). Highly recommended.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:20 am

With the floods, cassowarys, spiders from hell, droughts, fires, most poisonous snakes by far the safest thing about Australia is the Aussies.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:52 pm

Don't forget the mouse plagues...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ITgdgPUMuY
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:50 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:With the floods, cassowarys, spiders from hell, droughts, fires, most poisonous snakes by far the safest thing about Australia is the Aussies.

Ozone layer / skin cancer rates.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:46 pm

Deaths in Australia in 2021 due to:
Sharks: 1
Snakes: 1
Jellyfish: 1
Crocodiles: 1
Spiders: 0

Deaths in America in 2021 due to:
Firearms: 21,000 (excluding suicides)

Yeah Australia is fuckin terrifying.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:20 pm

snaark wrote:Deaths in Australia in 2021 due to:
Sharks: 1
Snakes: 1
Jellyfish: 1
Crocodiles: 1
Spiders: 0

Deaths in America in 2021 due to:
Firearms: 21,000 (excluding suicides)

Yeah Australia is fuckin terrifying.

I actually thought there would be more box jelly deaths.
As a kid I would have died in Australia...or India...or Nigeria as I grew up in a place without venomous snakes I would chase down and capture any snake I saw.

Back to the dangers of America that Americans seem incapable of seeing:

How will you Australians defend yourself when the Chinese invade? Throw Taipans at them?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:13 pm

I spent most of my childhood playing in bushland that was supposed to be teeming with snakes (no, that's not a euphemism). Never saw a single one. In fact the only snakes I've ever seen in the wild have been the ones I've run over (not being very smart animals, they like to warm themselves up on the road). I also spent most of my teenage years surfing and never saw a single shark. Been diving with them a few times but only the non-bitey kind and only when we went looking for them.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe