Important shit: Who has the best breakfast?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Important shit: Who has the best breakfast?

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:35 am

And why? What makes it good to you?

Its a tie for me.
Cool Months: English Fry.
Not the Full Fry...tomatoes and mushrooms can be skipped. But English Sausage is superior and I really dig beans and eggs.
Warm Months: Turkish style.
Home made bread, olives cukes and tomatoes with some feta and washed down with strong tea...it just rocks. Always loved eating it outside too.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:20 pm

Coffee and a smoke.

Guess I'm more of a brunch person. French toast, bacon and OJ. Plus of course coffee and cigs.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: Important shit: Who has the best breakfast?

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:24 pm

The Turks have the best breakfast.

Good coffee and the rest doesn't make you feel like you ate a sugar coated plate of flour.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby denise » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:25 pm

I do - eggs benedict with mimosas and fresh fruit - use well done american bacon a la the original Lemeul Benedict hangover remedy/add tons of lemon to the hollandaise sauce/and more champagne to the mimosas.

By the time it's ready it will be brunch - Enjoy!

the turkish breakfast sounds delish adding turkish coffee sounds even better.
Last edited by denise on Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all roads lead to Christ.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:36 pm

denise wrote:I do - eggs benedict with mimosas and fresh fruit - use well done american bacon a la the original Lemeul Benedict version/add tons of lemon to the hollandaise sauce/and more champagne to the mimosas.

I like Turkish coffee but more as a midafternoon pick-me-up type of thing.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:36 pm

Eggs overeasy with sausage, home fries, white toast with no butter. Coffee and a fag. Or a 6 pack of donuts and a jumbo double double from Timmies. Lots of fags. In Canada. Breakfast in England sucks so I just don't bother. Noodle soup with shrimp of chicken and a fresh baguette in South East Asia is awesome. Turkish food is good at any time of day. I try to plan flights going via IST just so I can have a layover and stuff my face for a few days.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby denise » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:09 pm

Kurt wrote:
denise wrote:I do - eggs benedict with mimosas and fresh fruit - use well done american bacon a la the original Lemeul Benedict hangover remedy/add tons of lemon to the hollandaise sauce/and more champagne to the mimosas.

I like Turkish coffee but more as a midafternoon pick-me-up type of thing.

If that doesn't pick you up nothing this side of legal will!

I like swedish coffee - i stocked up but it won't last forever - the price has now increased by 55% which is a real buzz kill.
denise
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:24 pm

Turkish breakfasts are the best. Their wonderful bread, yogurt, fruit, cheese & olives will hold you for the day until dinner time.

I’m not really a breakfast eater, black coffee and cigarettes, followed by an indulgence of a flat-white from Starbucks extra hot w/extra espresso shot if I’m going into work at my Amazon warehouse job. It’s got milk so it’s like a meal, savored with my cannabis vape pen on my way to work.

Still, breakfast is my favorite meal any time of day. A good diner breakfast of eggs over easy, potatoes, bacon and rye toast. And of course, black coffee bottomless cup. Preparing that at home is a lot of bother, better at a mom/pop diner.

Speaking of Amazon, I met Chris Smalls couple of weeks ago. He’s the kid that organized the workers at the JFK facility, followed by Staten Island. His budget was $130,000 they got from crowd-funding, while Amazon spent over 3M to thwart their efforts. Amazon lost. I’m gonna stay in touch with Chris.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:30 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:Eggs overeasy with sausage, home fries, white toast with no butter. Coffee and a fag. Or a 6 pack of donuts and a jumbo double double from Timmies. Lots of fags. In Canada. Breakfast in England sucks so I just don't bother. Noodle soup with shrimp of chicken and a fresh baguette in South East Asia is awesome. Turkish food is good at any time of day. I try to plan flights going via IST just so I can have a layover and stuff my face for a few days.

OMG, Turkish food! THE BEST thing in Istanbul is a fish sandwich with a slice of onion from the vendors at the Bosphorous where they grill the fish right on a boat docked near the ferries. Fascinating to watch as they’re cooking on a grill on the boat while the boat rocks all over the place. It’s like watching a ballet. They don’t miss a step.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:42 pm

ROB wrote:The Turks have the best breakfast.

Good coffee and the rest doesn't make you feel like you ate a sugar coated plate of flour.

Respectfully disagree. That boiled down paste-thick coffee is the bomb, but nearly 2 years of "fake-on" and olives drove me mad for some pork. I did learn the language though (lived mostly Samsun and Trabzon, a bit in Istanbul and Sinop). I'm actually wanted in Turkey. Fact. Makes travel a pain in the ass. (nothing overly dark: work VISA shit)

The Norwegians know how to do breakfast! Heaping mounds of smoked salmon, dark earthy breads... I miss Stavanger something fierce.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:48 pm

Darcy wrote:
ROB wrote:The Turks have the best breakfast.

Respectfully disagree. That boiled down paste-thick coffee is the bomb, but nearly 2 years of "fake-on" and olives drove me mad for some pork. I did learn the language though (lived mostly Samsun and Trabzon, a bit in Istanbul and Sinop). I'm actually wanted in Turkey. Fact. Makes travel a pain in the ass. (nothing overly dark: work VISA shit)

The Norwegians know how to do breakfast! Heaping mounds of smoked salmon, dark earthy breads... I miss Stavanger something fierce.

I know fatty fish for breakfast is supposed to be great but I still have a slight aversion to it for breakfast. Norwegian "Little Lunch" (as we Midwestern Norwegians say) is the best. Their bread is about as real as bread can get and my favorite is is the cod roe spread in a tube and Gjeitost (goat whey boiled down to a block of "cheese")

You are right about the Pork craving after a while, you never think you are gonna miss it and think "meat is meat" but newp. You want pork. My wife craves goat like that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:49 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:

Speaking of Amazon, I met Chris Smalls couple of weeks ago. He’s the kid that organized the workers at the JFK facility, followed by Staten Island. His budget was $130,000 they got from crowd-funding, while Amazon spent over 3M to thwart their efforts. Amazon lost. I’m gonna stay in touch with Chris.

I love how he didn't fall for Liberal Co-opting.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:57 pm

I think it was Cold Harvest that once described bacon as the heroin of meat. I would agree.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:10 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I think it was Cold Harvest that once described bacon as the heroin of meat. I would agree.

Grilled lamb fat with flakey salt is even better.

If you find the trim at a butcher, buy it, flatten it with a meat mallet and grill until it is puffy and most of the fat has been rendered out of it. Sprinkle liberally with salt. Grilled over coals it has some of the smokiness of bacon but it is like crack. Bad for you (unless your work is purely physical in nature) and can't stop eating it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby denise » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:16 pm

Kurt you sound like such an amazing cook your wife is a lucky woman!

Now that things are getting positively apocalyptic did anyone notice what Mad Max had for breakfast?
denise
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe