True Inflation Rate

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

True Inflation Rate

Postby ROB » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:30 pm

Useful site for price inflation.

https://app.truflation.com/

In short, if it felt like things were getting expensive a lot more than the inflation rate said they were, then that is because they were.

Good news is that it just took a tick down.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Re: True Inflation Rate

Postby Tarkan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:31 pm

The government is lying about inflation, but surely the government is telling the truth about global warming! You can trust them on that. Honest.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:34 am

Tarkan wrote:The government is lying about inflation, but surely the government is telling the truth about global warming! You can trust them on that. Honest.

You'd have a point if it was only the US gov talking about climate.

But it's basically every government. And every reputable science and engineering body. And every military. And every university.

But sure, it could be a big conspiracy among all those millions of people. I guess. In your world.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:04 pm

ROB wrote:
Tarkan wrote:The government is lying about inflation, but surely the government is telling the truth about global warming! You can trust them on that. Honest.

But it's basically every government. And every reputable science and engineering body. And every military. And every university.

But sure, it could be a big conspiracy among all those millions of people. I guess. In your world.

Duh...international globalist conspiracy meets The Deep State.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:19 pm

ROB wrote:

Logical fallacies: appeal to authority, appeal to consensus.

I guess I should just accept it then, and ignore the outright basic statistical errors NASA Goddard, Hansen, the Hadley CRU made, the hiding and obfuscating of original source data, the conspiracies (broken by Climategate emails) to deny data to anyone seen as a skeptic, the conspiracies to get "skeptics" barred from being able to publish in scientific journals and fired from their jobs, the efforts to "hide the decline" in temperature in their proxy measures, etc.

So let's roll with it.

Anthropogenic global warming is a clear and present danger brought about by the burning of too much carbon and that the original NASA / IPCC recommendations of drastically decreasing global CO2 production (from 1990 norms, lol) needs to be taken NOW, to avoid "disaster" (it's a shame about Miami and Amsterdam being under water, just like Al Gore predicted).

What do you think the 2nd order and 3rd order effects of that are going to be? Or, have you not bothered to think that far ahead because it's not as funny as a snarky comment?
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:23 pm

Kurt wrote:
ROB wrote:

Duh...international globalist conspiracy meets The Deep State.

People generally believe the news when they report about things they aren't knowledgeable about, and then laugh when the news gets it all wrong when it covers things they are experts in.

Same thing happens with government. "How can they get things so wrong on something so simple as agricultural policy. Oh well, at least they are extremely competent in everything else they do..."

Again, let's roll with the premise of AGW being a danger. Let's talk about policies. Which populations are we going to sterilize, which populations are we going to starve, and which populations are we going to exterminate in order to control carbon emissions? Because that is what it's going to take. Don't be pussies, push your "scientific" conclusions to their logical, necessary policy implementations.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:22 pm

Huh? Sterilize and kill?

I usually only hear Right wingers saying that left wingers say that.

About 30 years ago when variations of Global Warming / Climate change were being discussed the consensus was that we had to start doing something to reduce coal and petroleum use.

That was the part that was opposed. The idea was that by acting soon we could eliminate mass death. The thing is there is no sterilization and mass death needed for humans to do, it will happen by itself.

I think the worst thing to happen with this idea is when Enron took over the concept with Carbon Credits for trading. Enron is gone but Carbon Dioxide is still the primary focus and the idea that we can "export" pollution to developing countries and have that somehow help.

Then the "we gotta do something crowd" can get told "What you got against poor countries developing?"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:51 pm

Kurt wrote:Huh? Sterilize and kill?

I usually only hear Right wingers saying that left wingers say that.

About 30 years ago when variations of Global Warming / Climate change were being discussed the consensus was that we had to start doing something to reduce coal and petroleum use.

That was the part that was opposed. The idea was that by acting soon we could eliminate mass death. The thing is there is no sterilization and mass death needed for humans to do, it will happen by itself.

I think the worst thing to happen with this idea is when Enron took over the concept with Carbon Credits for trading. Enron is gone but Carbon Dioxide is still the primary focus and the idea that we can "export" pollution to developing countries and have that somehow help.

Then the "we gotta do something crowd" can get told "What you got against poor countries developing?"

As I've previously posted, fossil fuels account for 81% of global energy consumption (81% of 550-600 exajoules). In 2000, global energy consumption was 394 exajoules. The intent of Kyoto was to freeze GHG emissions at 1990 levels, (energy consumption was roughly 350 exajoules).

Just to repeat, non-carbon based energy production, even after all the wind turbines, hydro-electric dams, nuclear power plants, and solar power facilities produced over the last couple of decades, accounts for only 114 exajoules of energy production.

You aren't going to get to anything close to 1990 GHG emission levels using green energy (especially since the left hates nuclear power, by and large).

Agriculture is an *industrial* process pretty much globally these days. Which means that food production and distribution is downstream from...oil. Neither Tesla, nor John Deere, have as of yet come up with an all-electric grain combine (there's also the problem that current battery production for EVs doesn't offer any advantage in terms of carbon footprint compared to the lifecycle of an INC powered car, and that most people's EVs are powered using electricity generated from coal and NG).

Thus the logical conclusion - if you are insistent on reducing GHG emissions to the 1990 benchmark, then you are, by deductive reasoning, insisting on the deaths of billions of people (there were only 5.3 billion people on the planet in 1990, vs >8 billion today). There isn't enough desert or enough wind to offset the energy deficit. There is the potential for enough nuclear power plants, but the Greens have by and large (and particularly in places like Germany) killed that as an option.

So, if you agree that the death of billions of mostly brown people is ok (because, let's be honest, it won't be Americans or Europeans starving to death), then own it.

If you don't agree that it's ok, then, you sort of have to accept the continued utilization, exploration, and development of fossil fuel resources. All of which can happen concurrently with pursuing other energy developments. But otherwise stop cloaking your bullshit in moralistic first order terms ("we have to save the environment") while ignoring 2nd order consequences of your decisions.

Oh, and you won't be able to enforce a carbon reduction without some pretty severe tyranny.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:22 pm

Tarkan wrote: So, if you agree that the death of billions of mostly brown people is ok then own it.
Seems like a huge waste.

Isn't there a way to monetize all those corpses?
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby gnaruki » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:49 pm

I'm sure you guys have already dove into this http://www.shadowstats.com/

Even NYT is admitting to 12% yoy grocery inflation in recent articles.

Since this thread is rotating into an energy argument: Electric cars are more damaging than ICE cars. Carbon regulation is a sham. And life is really going to get difficult as fossil fuels become harder to extract. Even ExxonMobil posts the scary future of petroleum products on it's website:

https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/Energy-and-innovation/Outlook-for-Energy/Energy-supply#Naturalgas

So don't worry about CO2 emissions! We're going to be out of the sources soon anyway...
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe