Germany to Greece

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Germany to Greece

Postby regullar guy » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:18 am

Hey guys

First post.
Had an account here about 25yrs ago, but don't remember any of my acct info. So, I hope this is in the right area...

I am planning to meet a friend in Frankfurt in about a week and looking to take 2wks and drive down to Athens taking our time and stopping here and there. Problem is, I cant find any one that rents vehicles in Germany and lets me drop it off in Greece!
Anyone have any experience or suggestions pls??

Thx
regullar guy

Re: Germany to Greece

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:18 am

Maybe "rental hop" like Frankfort to Zagreb and then rent in Zagreb to Athens. It might be more of a problem with "2 weeks" than anything.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:28 am

Trains go everywhere and you can drink beer on em.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby snaark » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Presumably rental companies won't let you drive to Greece because it means driving through non-EU countries (Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania). Don't know how you'd get around that, apart from maybe Kurt's suggestion, but taking a bus from maybe Dubrovnik to Greece. Would normally recommend driving though Croatia, but its school holidays now, so it'll be packed.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:40 pm

You can stay in the EU Germany -> Czech Rep -> Slovakia -> Hungary -> Romania -> Bulgaria -> Greece. But yeah, no idea about the rental situation. Even in the US, it's always more expensive to drop off elsewhere.

I personally would prefer doing the whole thing by train (or bus if you do decide for Balkans fun like Kosovo/N Macedonia/Albania). Also, there are ways to get into Greece via ferry of course, instead of road. Seems like it would be cheaper too given the price of gas these days.

Sounds like a fun trip. Beware the heat and crowds given it's almost that time of year where everyone takes a month off.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby regullar guy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:20 pm

Thx guys
regullar guy

Return to Black Flag Cafe