Daughter of Putin ally killed in Moscow blast

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Daughter of Putin ally killed in Moscow blast

Postby vagabond » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:41 pm

Was following the initial reports of this on Twitter. Speculation is that the intended target was her father, author of the 'Foundations of Geopolitics', which is rumored to be the playbook for the past few decades of Russian geopolitical action. He decided to take another car at the last minute.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62621509

The daughter of a close ally of Russia's President Vladimir Putin has been killed in a suspected car bombing.

Darya Dugina, 29, died after an explosion on a road outside Moscow, Russia's investigative committee said.

It is thought her father, the Russian philosopher Alexander Dugin, who is known as "Putin's brain", may have been the intended target of the attack.

Mr Dugin is a prominent ultra-nationalist ideologue who is believed to be close to the Russian president.

Alexander Dugin and his daughter had been at a festival near Moscow, where the philosopher gave a lecture.

The "Tradition" festival describes itself as a family event for art lovers which takes place at the Zakharovo estate, where Russian poet Alexander Pushkin once stayed.

The pair were due to leave the venue on Saturday evening in the same car, before Mr Dugin reportedly made a decision at the last minute to travel separately.

Unverified footage posted on Telegram appears to show Mr Dugin watching in shock as emergency services arrive at the scene of the burning wreck of a vehicle.

The BBC has not been able to verify the footage independently.

Investigators confirmed that Ms Dugina died at the scene near the village of Bolshiye Vyazemy.

They said an explosive device planted under the car went off and the vehicle caught fire. Forensic and explosive experts are investigating.

A Ukrainian official has dismissed accusations of Ukrainian involvement in the incident.

"Ukraine, of course, has nothing to do with this, because we are not a criminal state, which is the Russian Federation, and even less a terrorist state," said Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Maria Zakharova, spokeswoman for Russia's foreign ministry, said in a Telegram post that if any Ukrainian link was found it would amount to "state terrorism".
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Re: Daughter of Putin ally killed in Moscow blast

Postby snaark » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:39 pm

It turns out Russia now has a home-grown insurgency.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:34 pm

snaark wrote:It turns out Russia now has a home-grown insurgency.

Probably internal FSB power struggles.

Security cameras were disabled at that spot 2 weeks prior. This was well planned and executed.

Fascist daddy-o was probably the target.

Probably some folks signaling they aren't happy with the nuclear Armageddon path that Dugin and Putin have taken Russia down.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:42 am

So who dunnit?

Blaming the Ukes but I don't think it was them. It is too conveniently timed to put the blame on them.

Inside job perhaps, not Putin but some power struggle below him. Think of Jared taking out Bannon (heh heh)

Or another pissed off group from the Caucasus looking to do some damage and let some else take the blame. Still an insurgency down south.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:08 am

Tarkan wrote:

Security cameras were disabled at that spot 2 weeks prior. This was well planned and executed.

That seems likely. Dugin must have had some serious security, so whoever did this wasn't an amateur.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:56 pm

snaark wrote:
Tarkan wrote:

That seems likely. Dugin must have had some serious security, so whoever did this wasn't an amateur.

Or it was that the Authoritarians tend to believe their own myths. It was probably a pro or at least a smart person who did it but Dugin and Putin have myths about how kick-ass Russian security and they are probably wrong.

I once did cyber security for a close protection company that took over a contract after the "kick ass ex cops and military vets" security company their client had before them drew out their client to talk to a guy looking for a power meter on the property. He was a power meter reader but the security group checked his ID and tried to help him find the meter and then when they could not find it they called out their client to show him where it was.

It's pretty easy to fake being a utility company employee. It is probably pretty easy to pretend to be a mechanic doing some kind of routine work, since these people are served, someone coming over to work on your car is not a weird thing to them (or to their staff).
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:45 pm

Kurt wrote:
snaark wrote:
Tarkan wrote:

Or it was that the Authoritarians tend to believe their own myths. It was probably a pro or at least a smart person who did it but Dugin and Putin have myths about how kick-ass Russian security and they are probably wrong.

I once did cyber security for a close protection company that took over a contract after the "kick ass ex cops and military vets" security company their client had before them drew out their client to talk to a guy looking for a power meter on the property. He was a power meter reader but the security group checked his ID and tried to help him find the meter and then when they could not find it they called out their client to show him where it was.

It's pretty easy to fake being a utility company employee. It is probably pretty easy to pretend to be a mechanic doing some kind of routine work, since these people are served, someone coming over to work on your car is not a weird thing to them (or to their staff).

Well, I think the premise that Dugin had serious security may be flawed. He's basically a philosopher and ex-professor. He doesn't have a formal role in the Russian government and doesn't appear to have oligarch wealth, so even if he had access to Putin, that doesn't necessarily mean he had an appreciable security detail. So it was likely someone picking off low hanging fruit. But my money is still on an internal power struggle among the power players within the FSB rather than some grass roots insurgency or Ukrainian intelligence services.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:59 pm

Tarkan wrote:Well, I think the premise that Dugin had serious security may be flawed. He's basically a philosopher and ex-professor. He doesn't have a formal role in the Russian government and doesn't appear to have oligarch wealth, so even if he had access to Putin, that doesn't necessarily mean he had an appreciable security detail. So it was likely someone picking off low hanging fruit. But my money is still on an internal power struggle among the power players within the FSB rather than some grass roots insurgency or Ukrainian intelligence services.

I think so as well. Seems to be more of a Rasputin thing where his philosophy and influence are blamed for corrupting "The Czar" but the Ukrainians have reason to hate him as well as he often advocated for the removal of the Ukrainian nation.

Here the BFC's own Captain Han Solo writes in praise of Dugin for doing just that. (this was a few years after he became an informant for the FBI and got a buddy of his sent to Prison for being a terrorist for translating Al Qaeda writings)

https://souloftheeast.org/2015/03/27/fu ... -cynicism/
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe