Indonesia...recommendations please!

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Indonesia...recommendations please!

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:07 pm

Hello All! Thought I'd do the unthinkable and post a travel-related question on the board...

I'm in Indonesia for the next 6 weeks. Mainly Jakarta-based, but got a few trips planned too (surfing in Mentawai, chasing orangutans in northern Sumatra and exploring Yogyakarta). Anyone visited or lived in Indonesia before? Care to share any recommendations, both for the capital and also for the wider country?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Re: Indonesia...recommendations please!

Postby Kurt » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:16 pm

Sorry but i just deleted some spam recommending a bakery in Jakarta.
JITW is the person to message but he no longer browses here.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:19 am

I have not been but I have wanted to get to the Banda Islands, Rajah Ampit Islands as well as some places in Nussa Tenegra, if you get there please post. The Banda Islands are tricky as there are only a couple of flights from nearby AMbon.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:23 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:I have not been but I have wanted to get to the Banda Islands, Rajah Ampit Islands as well as some places in Nussa Tenegra, if you get there please post. The Banda Islands are tricky as there are only a couple of flights from nearby AMbon.

Cool. What's the attraction of these islands?
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:38 pm

I'm a month late on this. Hope you've had a good trip so far. Yogya is cool plus Borobodur and Prambanan outside of it. The Wayang Kulit shadow puppets with gambalan music is neat.

I spent time in Sulawesi and did the whole Tana Toraja burial thing. Might not be the season for it now but it's an interesting way of how they bury their dead - have a big party, slaughter animals, etc. Have to fly into Makassar and go up the coast. The island itself had some internecine Christian/Muslim fights a while back plus a bad tsunami roll into Palu. People use Manado as a base for scuba diving.

People I talked to also enjoyed the OG spice islands of Ternate and Tidore. Same for Lombok over Bali.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:37 am

Basically Banda Islands along with Ternate and Tidore is what Chris Columbus and a bunch of other explorers were looking for. Banda has Dutch Fort ruins, lots of jungle, a smoking volcano and some diving
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:50 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:I have not been but I have wanted to get to the Banda Islands, Rajah Ampit Islands as well as some places in Nussa Tenegra, if you get there please post. The Banda Islands are tricky as there are only a couple of flights from nearby AMbon.

OK so I made it to East Nusa Tenggara. Specifically, Flores and the islands all around Komodo National Park. Photos below, as requested!

Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ozymandias » Mon May 01, 2023 11:31 pm

I just got back from a long weekend on the west coast of Lombok. Good surf, beautiful beaches, lots of comfortable accommodation options. I was absolutely shocked at how over-touristed Bali has become since I last visited in 2012, so it was great to visit an island that isn't jam-packed with Aussie tourists! Pictures to follow once I get around to uploading...
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon May 01, 2023 11:36 pm

Cool photos.

I think it would have been funny to cover up the lizards face with some kind of emoji too.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Ozymandias » Tue May 02, 2023 12:00 am

Kurt wrote:Cool photos.

I think it would have been funny to cover up the lizards face with some kind of emoji too.

Ha, I guess I didn't ask the lizard if it was happy having its face plastered all over the BFC forums...assumed he was cool with it when he posed for our picture!

(A local carpenter got eaten by one of these guys a few weeks prior to our arrival on a nearby island. He was busy building a ranger station in the forest and one snuck up behind him. Scary creatures, especially as they're venomous.)
Ozymandias
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue May 02, 2023 12:26 am

Ozymandias wrote:
Kurt wrote:Cool photos.

Ha, I guess I didn't ask the lizard if it was happy having its face plastered all over the BFC forums...assumed he was cool with it when he posed for our picture!

(A local carpenter got eaten by one of these guys a few weeks prior to our arrival on a nearby island. He was busy building a ranger station in the forest and one snuck up behind him. Scary creatures, especially as they're venomous.)

I would never mess with one. Apparently they can digest goat horns. Just swallow whole and *boom* you are poop.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe