They do not want to fight this imperialistic, pointless war

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: They do not want to fight this imperialistic, pointless

Postby ROB » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:07 am

"This ends in a coup or a cloud." John Robb
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:30 am

ROB wrote:"This ends in a coup or a cloud." John Robb

Haven't heard that guys name in a while. Had some interesting ideas but seemed too prepper-ish at some point and I stopped keeping track.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:34 am

vagabond wrote:

Haven't heard that guys name in a while. Had some interesting ideas but seemed too prepper-ish at some point and I stopped keeping track.

He definitely had the prepper angle going. But I remember the reason I didn't write him off because he called the "looters will be shot" signs in Katrina a "failure of local resilience" and then stood up to the "but maaa guns" crowd about it. I don't have too many problems with the hyper-localised resilience angle, especially when it's steeped in technological progress and optimism.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:19 pm

It's a proxy war. Not ending up under a mushroom cloud is the whole reason those exist.
Coup in Russia? 's Been tried before, doubt it'll make any difference in the mid-term.

Eastern-European corpses don't bother me. Sucks about the cheap gas though, was good while it lasted.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Alphabet » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:44 pm

Being a USAF pilot assigned to JSOC doesn't make one an CT expert.

Fucking lol. I guess me being a jarhead, and working with Group after I got out essentially makes me 18 series.

Dude has a pilot license, and a management degree. Wow.

I learned more about being wrong with debating people on this site, actually going into the world post uncle Sam sponsored bullshit, chewing khat , drinking tea with stinky dudes than this media approved d bag ever has.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:19 am

ROB wrote:
vagabond wrote:

He definitely had the prepper angle going. But I remember the reason I didn't write him off because he called the "looters will be shot" signs in Katrina a "failure of local resilience" and then stood up to the "but maaa guns" crowd about it. I don't have too many problems with the hyper-localised resilience angle, especially when it's steeped in technological progress and optimism.

Have you heard of Strong Towns? It's not on the prepper spectrum but if you're interested in local community resilience, it's pretty interesting and getting some traction.

https://www.strongtowns.org/

There's a lot of focus on infrastructure and other policy and reviving the economic prospects of local communities.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:37 pm

Alphabet wrote:Being a USAF pilot assigned to JSOC doesn't make one an CT expert.

I don't think he leans too heavily on his military career. The rest of his resume shits on most talking heads I have seen though. His theories on open sourced networks is something he has been writing about for decades and is pretty interesting.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 pm

vagabond wrote:Have you heard of Strong Towns? It's not on the prepper spectrum but if you're interested in local community resilience, it's pretty interesting and getting some traction.

Australia badly needs something like that. There is a gaping gap between rich and poor towns here.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:21 pm

ROB wrote:
vagabond wrote:Have you heard of Strong Towns? It's not on the prepper spectrum but if you're interested in local community resilience, it's pretty interesting and getting some traction.

Australia badly needs something like that. There is a gaping gap between rich and poor towns here.

They have some good videos on YouTube plus a podcast, 'Upzoned'. And the NotJustBikes YT show has done cross-over episodes.

I think the US and Australia share a lot of how our urban areas have grown in common. I was really surprised to learn about how expansive Sydney was. Very similar to LA though seems much nicer looking.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:51 pm

vagabond wrote:
ROB wrote:
vagabond wrote: Very similar to LA though seems much nicer looking.

ABout 20% of Sydney is quite pleasant. The rest is a concrete hell hole.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:22 pm

ROB wrote:
vagabond wrote:
ROB wrote:
vagabond wrote: Very similar to LA though seems much nicer looking.

ABout 20% of Sydney is quite pleasant. The rest is a concrete hell hole.

We might be around 10-15% outside of the natural areas. No matter who you are there, you'll end up with leaf blowers blasting in the morning and LAPD helicopters overhead.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe