They do not want to fight this imperialistic, pointless war

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

They do not want to fight this imperialistic, pointless war

Postby sparrow » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:45 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-dr ... -1.6597416

Thoughts?

You will get shot.

https://twitter.com/Reevellp/status/157 ... BI7B-i-kQA
Be brave, always be brave
sparrow
Canadia

Re: They do not want to fight this imperialistic, pointless

Postby Kurt » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:25 pm

Putin should have learned from the best at conducting unwinnable wars.

Fight someone weak
Pump money to your friends by "rebuilding the nation"
Leave.

In our years in Iraq and Afghanistan we only had a few terrorists instances committed by one person...The Bicycle Bomber of NYC.

It is presumed the Bomber / was / is a "he". He filed toy plastic grenades with black powder and set off bombs at recruiting stations.

A friend of mine was jailed for refusing to testify in front of a grand jury if he knew the bicycle bomber and spent about 1.5 years in MDC. Since they were targeting leftists then (probably correctly in this case) he figured if he did know the bomber but he testified at the time he had no idea who it was they would nail him for perjury.

He probably made a bad call, but a call is a call and he lived with it.

Anyway, I am pretty sure we would have had hundreds of "bicycle bombers" if we invaded Canada and then started to lose.

But how about NATO surplus in the hands of Ukrainians huh? One of the most powerful armies in the world can be defeated by a NATO yard sale in the hands of people who want them the fuck out.

That doesn't bode well for Russia projecting power anywhere but internally.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:18 pm

Russia has lost about 77k in KIA, about 60k from the Russian armed forces or national guard, and another 17k from PMC outfits like Wagner.

Wagner is pulling convicts from prisons.

The “partial mobilization” has the Russians grabbing old men off the street - prior mil experience or not - giving them a rusty gun, a day of training (if they are lucky), and sending them to the front as cannon fodder.

You have to figure 2-3x the KIA number is wounded, and so total casualty count is around 150% of what they started their invasion with. Which is why they are scraping the bottom of the fucking barrel to put bodies in the way of Ukraine’s counter offensive. The sham annexation referendum is more about being able to conscript all the Ukrainians they didn’t murder during the initial occupation to send them to die for Russia.

Russia is spent militarily and their whole front is likely on the verge of collapse. Either the Russians kill Putin and negotiate a settlement or Putin will pop off some nukes to keep from losing Crimea and the Donbas. And apparently the Biden admin has told Putin that if Russia nukes Ukraine, we will nuke them in response. Fun exciting times to be alive.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:19 pm

For all its flaws the west isn't looking too bad vs Russia. About the only thing Putin got right is the power of energy.

I read an article about a theoretical attach on Alaska by Russia a couple of months ago. Needless to say, the US would barely shrug and Russias Pacific Fleet would be at the bottom of the ocean floor.

Scary thing is who is going to replace Putin.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:29 pm

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:For all its flaws the west isn't looking too bad vs Russia. About the only thing Putin got right is the power of energy.

I read an article about a theoretical attach on Alaska by Russia a couple of months ago. Needless to say, the US would barely shrug and Russias Pacific Fleet would be at the bottom of the ocean floor.

Scary thing is who is going to replace Putin.

The thing we always do is try to make certain that the person the Russians hate will replace whomever.

Right now I think that the average Russian is learning that Putin's militarism is getting them screwed so the one they choose will likely not be like that. So as long as we don't try to sway it to the guy we want rather than who is actually best for them I think we will prevent future "Putins"
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:48 pm

Russia is a state completely controlled by the FSB, and Putin and his cronies have had 20 years to indoctrinate the Russian people in their particular form of fascism (and that's exactly what it is, unlike the fake "fascism" of the GOP).

Putin is a handmaiden to history, not a bad apple in a barrel full of good apples. Removing him doesn't really change anything. Lots of Russians (almost certainly a strong majority) were happy that Ukrainians were being raped and massacred, and have a view of Ukrainians similar to what Germans had of Poles and Jews in 1939. There's cell phone intercepts of Russian wives telling their soldier husbands to make sure they wear condoms when raping the Ukrainian women.

Putin gets deposed, and it'll be the next strongman from the FSB up his very own "Russia was stabbed in the back" mythos to go along with it for Russia to lick their chops, rebuild, and re-try nuclear blackmail on the world. The entire leadership of Russia are complicit in the FSB gangsterism that has ruled the country since halfway through the Yeltsin regime.

And because the more territory Ukraine retakes from Russia the more evidence Russian crimes become, it makes peace less likely, especially as the balance of power shifts strongly towards Ukraine.

I think there's a very good chance that Russia resorts to tactical nukes to stabilize the front, because shit is collapsing fast. Kherson is about to be retaken. Lyman fell and the Russians lost 2-5k soldiers in a route from that alone, maybe more.

And if Russia uses tactical nukes, I think the US/NATO nukes them back. The rhetoric keeps ratcheting up in that regard, and then it's party time.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby sparrow » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:27 pm

That Kerch Bridge blast was epic. Of course Putin responded with 82 cruise missiles of which a little more than half were intercepted by Ukraine. But of course that was expected.

Fuck I hope someone offs him soon. Putin's nothing more than a wounded mafia boss at this point.

Bomb the other side of the bridge any time Zelensky. You'll hear applause from around the world.
sparrow
Canadia

Postby el3so » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:02 am

There might be a 'chickens coming home to roost' lesson in all of this for future historians. I still don't know if I really care.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Bronco » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:31 pm

Some recent evaluations of the bridge explosion indicate that the actual explosion was underneath and short of the bridge. It exploded off to the side of the bridge where the suspected truck was driving but the videos show that the blast actually came from the side opposite the side with the train tracks. In a video shot from closer to the water level one can see the bow of some sort of boat just coming into view when the explosion happens.
It could be that Putin or his henchmen planned and executed the bombing hoping to throw the blame on Ukraine, or it could be almost anyone aside from the Ukrainians.
see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVWQA5jxANk
"I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan
Bronco
Old Man On The Mountain

Postby sparrow » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:44 am

^Yeah I caught the video on that. It's kind of like the Nord Stream 1 & 2. Who can tell for sure? All that comes out of the Kremlin mafia don is lies. He might actually be worse than trump (just kidding, no one's worse than trump). You know, it's a "special military operation", not a war, right? This world has become so fucking stupid it's hard to stand sometimes.

Meanwhile...
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-63237327
sparrow
Canadia

Postby Alphabet » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:09 pm

Tarkan wrote:Russia has lost about 77k in KIA, about 60k from the Russian armed forces or national guard, and another 17k from PMC outfits like Wagner.

The “partial mobilization” has the Russians grabbing old men off the street - prior mil experience or not - giving them a rusty gun, a day of training (if they are lucky), and sending them to the front as cannon fodder.

You have to figure 2-3x the KIA number is wounded, and so total casualty count is around 150% of what they started their invasion with. Which is why they are scraping the bottom of the fucking barrel to put bodies in the way of Ukraine’s counter offensive. The sham annexation referendum is more about being able to conscript all the Ukrainians they didn’t murder during the initial occupation to send them to die for Russia.

Russia is spent militarily and their whole front is likely on the verge of collapse. Either the Russians kill Putin and negotiate a settlement or Putin will pop off some nukes to keep from losing Crimea and the Donbas. And apparently the Biden admin has told Putin that if Russia nukes Ukraine, we will nuke them in response. Fun exciting times to be alive.

Don't quote me on the exact date, but the US military started accepting felons in 2006'ish, you know..when Iraq got really fun.

How many contractors has the US lost in our 20 years war(s)?

And the Russian nuke thing. Bro.. turn off Hannity, Beck and Levin.

Isn't going to happen.

If you have a hard cock to go kill some Russians, set it up with Kurt and I'll pay for your one way ticket to Ukraine. Other than that, stop cheerleading for another war we have no business in, and that you won't fight in.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:42 am

Alphabet wrote:
Tarkan wrote:Russia has lost about 77k in KIA, about 60k from the Russian armed forces or national guard, and another 17k from PMC outfits like Wagner.

Don't quote me on the exact date, but the US military started accepting felons in 2006'ish, you know..when Iraq got really fun.

How many contractors has the US lost in our 20 years war(s)?

And the Russian nuke thing. Bro.. turn off Hannity, Beck and Levin.

Isn't going to happen.

If you have a hard cock to go kill some Russians, set it up with Kurt and I'll pay for your one way ticket to Ukraine. Other than that, stop cheerleading for another war we have no business in, and that you won't fight in.

The numbers aren't great (circa 2019)...

https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/cos ... ary/killed

- Over 7,000 U.S. service members and over 8,000 contractors have died in the post-9/11 wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere.

- Over 30,177 U.S. service members and veterans of the post-9/11 wars have died by suicide.

- Coalition partners have died in large numbers: approximately 177,000 uniformed Afghans, Pakistanis, Iraqis, and Syrian allies have died as of November 2019.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:45 am

Go and kill? That's not me that is for sure. Track crypto finances (which I kind of suck at, if one needs to do that professionally there are services that do it that cost a fortune) and find infrastructure which I am pretty much better than anyone at doing.
This means I will get thrown out of a window.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby vagabond » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:53 pm

Kurt wrote:Go and kill? That's not me that is for sure. Track crypto finances (which I kind of suck at, if one needs to do that professionally there are services that do it that cost a fortune) and find infrastructure which I am pretty much better than anyone at doing.

You might also throw yourself out the window:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/12/27/india-probing-wealthy-russian-politicians-fall-to-death-at-hotel
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:58 pm

Kurt wrote:Go and kill? That's not me that is for sure. Track crypto finances (which I kind of suck at, if one needs to do that professionally there are services that do it that cost a fortune) and find infrastructure which I am pretty much better than anyone at doing.

Sorry..wasn't what I was getting at.

You being a fair and trusted source..I was trying to make a point.

If cheerleaders like Tarkan want to go kill them some Ruskies, I'll put my money where there mouth is (of course knowing they are just shit talking.) and you referee it.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe