No Red wave. No Blue Tsunami.

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: No Red wave. No Blue Tsunami.

Postby mb » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:18 pm

Do you get a daily email or a perhaps you have a a mini handbook with propoganda points of the day?

There's a difference in not conceeding when an election is close. And not conceeding when you've gone down in flames.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/russia ... 022-11-07/
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:18 pm

mb wrote:Do you get a daily email or a perhaps you have a a mini handbook with propoganda points of the day?

There's a difference in not conceeding when an election is close. And not conceeding when you've gone down in flames.

Lauren Boebert hasnt conceded, nor should she. Neither should her opponent until counts are finished and recounts are done.
Remember when Stacy Abrams' supporters stormed to the capitol to stop Kemp's certification? No? Gee me neither.
I dont know of a single Democrat that sees demanding a recount or not conceding as being the same thing as trying to overturn an election.

Trump people see Trump's actions as legitimate so the rest of us are on par with them and we are therefore hypocrites.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:53 pm

Kurt wrote:
mb wrote:Do you get a daily email or a perhaps you have a a mini handbook with propoganda points of the day?

Lauren Boebert hasnt conceded, nor should she. Neither should her opponent until counts are finished and recounts are done.
Remember when Stacy Abrams' supporters stormed to the capitol to stop Kemp's certification? No? Gee me neither.
I dont know of a single Democrat that sees demanding a recount or not conceding as being the same thing as trying to overturn an election.

Trump people see Trump's actions as legitimate so the rest of us are on par with them and we are therefore hypocrites.

Negatory red rider. I don't see Jan 6 as a legitimate expression of political rage. Nor did I see the BLM riots as legitimate expressions of political rage. If I might channel my inner PLO, I condemn all forms of political violence. With that out of the way...

I'm not the one that said (or implied) refusal to concede is an attack on democracy. That was snaaaaaark.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:05 am

But you are the one to bring in Russia. And that somehow trying to impeach someone because they violated the emoulments clause (which the dems were too chicken to do) or more generic foreign interference (which they finally sorta did) is somehow the same as not conceeding.

Again: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/russia ... 022-11-07/
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:38 pm

mb wrote:But you are the one to bring in Russia. And that somehow trying to impeach someone because they violated the emoulments clause (which the dems were too chicken to do) or more generic foreign interference (which they finally sorta did) is somehow the same as not conceeding.

Again: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/russia ... 022-11-07/

The Dems were too chicken to impeach someone on the emoulments clause because the dems have been as guilty of violating it as anyone. Biden is fucking corruption central. The Clintons were/are fucking corruption central. Obama came up in Chicago, which was corruption central. But of course Rezko had nothing to do with Obama...and I've got a screaming deal on a bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you believe that. Hell, Al Gore was taking bundles of cash in literal brown paper bags from the Chinese Communist party, while he was collecting money for the Clinton re-election campaign, but his excuse was "there's no governing authority" over that activity. And it wasn't much later that the Clinton admin greenlit Loral Communications transferring MIRV technology to the Chinese for their nuclear missiles, which is one of the reasons why we now have DF-41 ICBMs with 10 warheads apiece now pointed at the US.

I specifically brought up Russia because the whole narrative the Democrats built up on Russia was intentional, blatant disinfo where they engaged the machinery of the state to conspire to remove a sitting, lawfully elected President on false pretenses. In most places, they call that a coup attempt - typically not an indicator of a healthy democracy or the other side "accepting the outcome" of the election. But it's ok to do bad and probably illegal and unconstitutional stuff if they target is someone we don't like.

Since we were talking about proper forms in a well functioning democracy (more or less), I thought it relevant to bring up recent history where the Democrats didn't really exhibit all that much respect for democracy or following election law.

Which gets me back around to my original point. Hypocrites like Seek don't give a shit about democracy or voting - it's only real value is to validate their own choices and preferences, and when that happens, it's "sorta good", and when the dirty fucking proles elect someone she doesn't like, well, that's proof that democracy is broken.

Kurt is at least honest enough to admit that both sides play fuck-fuck games with re-districting and gerrymandering, and that the Democrats give as much as they get in the fuckery business, but Seek, like a Baptist when it comes to masturbation, thinks it's the height of evil and probably illegal vote manipulation when Republicans do it, and pretends like the angelic Democrats don't do it at all.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:36 am

One thing that's clear from the election results: Trump is dead weight. It should now be clear to Republicans that they have to ditch him if they've any chance of winning in '24. This election should've been a walkover and they botched it by backing loonies in key positions.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:13 pm

snaark wrote:One thing that's clear from the election results: Trump is dead weight. It should now be clear to Republicans that they have to ditch him if they've any chance of winning in '24. This election should've been a walkover and they botched it by backing loonies in key positions.

They are not gonna be able to ditch him. He can still beat McConnel types and critics in the primaries. He could easily split the party in two with his hissy snit.

The Democrats might ve claiming a ridiculous "Great Victory" because they only lost the House, but the Republicans are fucked because of Trump, COVID-19 death rate compared to Democrats and young people not wanting to live in a Religious Hunger Games World.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:08 pm

Kurt wrote:
snaark wrote:One thing that's clear from the election results: Trump is dead weight. It should now be clear to Republicans that they have to ditch him if they've any chance of winning in '24. This election should've been a walkover and they botched it by backing loonies in key positions.

They are not gonna be able to ditch him. He can still beat McConnel types and critics in the primaries. He could easily split the party in two with his hissy snit.

The Democrats might ve claiming a ridiculous "Great Victory" because they only lost the House, but the Republicans are fucked because of Trump, COVID-19 death rate compared to Democrats and young people not wanting to live in a Religious Hunger Games World.

Well, on the one hand the Democrats went into the election with the structural advantage that most of their seats up for re-election were more solidly Democrat than Republicans.

On the other hand, you have a horribly unpopular President (Biden's popularity is about the same as Trump's at this point in time in their respective tenures) and a shit economy. Usually the ruling party takes it on the nose in these circumstances, and given that the Democrats control the House, the Senate, and the Presidency...conditions were prime for a "Red Wave."

It's easy (and reductive) to say that Trump or abortion were the reason(s) why the GOP underperformed. The real reason is that the GOPe would rather be in control of a minority party than be a minority part of the majority party. A trip through memory lane. In 2010, the Tea Party swept the Republicans into power (undeservedly so - the Democrats deserved to lose, but the GOPe didn't deserve to win). The GOPe was so grateful to the Tea Party that they spun up Karl Rove to form the Crossroads PAC to defeat Tea Party candidates in the primaries and used re-districting to eliminate others. Karl Rove spent more money in 2012 defeating incumbent Tea Party Republicans than he did helping Republicans defeat Democrats.

There's a lot of overlap in terms of the Tea Party Republicans and the MAGA Republicans.

Come 2016 when Trump was nominated and then elected, a lot of the GOPe defected to the Lincoln Project and suddenly became big fans of Hillary.

Another group of "stay behind" Republicans worked from within to frustrate the Trump agenda, conspired with the Democrats to help impeach Trump (everyone in the Gang of Eight knew about the illegal FISA surveillance, including the Republicans).

Once Trump was un-elected, they turned to ousting candidates that Trump supported.

But here's the fundamental problem the GOP finds itself in.

GOPe candidates are unappealing to almost everyone except some moderates - the type of moderate that usually votes Democrat, but will hold their nose and vote Republican when Democrats begin to fuck things up too severely (like they are doing now). Think Mitt Romney.

Trump and his supporters bring in the voter enthusiasm that the GOP establishment cannot.

But, it doesn't matter, because the GOPe would rather lose than win because of anyone they don't control. And so they pulled the national money and support from MAGA candidates - in some cases going so far as to endorse their Democratic opponents at local levels.

And thus you are left with a structural issue where the Democrats ran literally run a brain damaged candidate for Senate (who never had an honest job in his life) and win on pure inertia, while Republican voters are chided about "candidate quality." Yes, candidate quality matters - if you are Republican. Democrats can nominate literally a dead guy and get him elected. In order for Republicans to win in this environment the base has to be united with the leadership...and they are not united.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:41 pm

What brain damaged senator was *nominated*?

I mean, there was a guy who had a stroke AFTER he was the *elected* nominee, not really a good process to change it at that point. Apparently he's recovering pretty well from the stroke too, so no real reason to change it either.

That being said, yes both parties tend to run on party machinery and counter-machinery, which often leads to crap candidates and electeds.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:27 am

mb wrote:What brain damaged senator was *nominated*?

I mean, there was a guy who had a stroke AFTER he was the *elected* nominee, not really a good process to change it at that point. Apparently he's recovering pretty well from the stroke too, so no real reason to change it either.

That being said, yes both parties tend to run on party machinery and counter-machinery, which often leads to crap candidates and electeds.

Um, I never said Fetterman was nominated. But he was elected after it's pretty clear he's cognitively deficient post stroke. Of course they are going to say "apparently he's recovering pretty well" just like they are saying nothing is wrong with Biden when clearly he frequently has trouble even reading off the teleprompter.

This is the dead guy I was talking about though...different guy than Fetterman, where I did mistakenly use the term "nominated:"
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... esentative
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby mb » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:57 pm

Sure, PA prefers to have someone who cares about PA and has a history of caring about his community, even if he is recovering from a stroke (which happened after he cemented his 'run'), than some dude who cares so little about PA that he couldn't even be bothered to film his TV commercials in the state.

At least the R doing so well must mean that Pennsylvanians are OK with Muslims in the senate now. Progress!

And similarly, yes dead people get elected. Not the first time it's happened. Means people prefer that over the other guy.

If you are checking who is nominated, also in PA, Congress member Mike Doyle (D) retired. The R's ran a different Mike Doyle (a common name) with a slogan something like 'a name you can trust'. Not sure what that says about the R party there. He lost, even with a lot of people voting for him by 'accident'.
mb
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe