Anyone come up with a side hustle during COVID lockdowns?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Anyone come up with a side hustle during COVID lockdowns

Postby Kurt » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:32 pm

I liked Musk until I heard him talk about the Boring Company. specifically that "Tunnels are immune to weather" ....which made me realize he was actually an idiot pretending to be a smart guy.

Weather is amplified by tunnels.

His weird-assed tunnels in vegas have no pumps, no ventilation systems and his fire suppression is in a skinny ass conduit that is like a typical sprinkler system in a building, not great for lithium / electrical fires.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:32 pm

Tarkan wrote:
Alphabet wrote:
Tarkan wrote:So, on the topic of Musk, Vagabond, how many billion dollar companies have you created? You can very easily make the argument that either he or Bezos or both are the two biggest entrepreneurs of our age. And Musk did it primarily by disrupting the auto industry which had huge incumbent advantages (the dealer model, for example in many states is protected in law - no selling direct to consumers), and the space launch industry which isn’t exactly easy to break into. Musk pretty much by himself drove the Russians to the margins of the space launch business. 8 years ago they owned half of it.

Yes, yes, it’s his companies and not him, which is why all those things happened before he ever started Tesla or Space-X.

Oh, fuck off. How many millions in subsidies did Musk get from the American taxpayer?

I love the shit he's doing, but don't come in here and act like he started out selling lemonade at a stand outside his parents house.

He got a shit ton. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Fact is, people like Vagabond just loooooooved Musk when he was their electric car darling. The left didn't start shitting on Musk until he bought Twitter and exposed all the bullshit their side was doing with speech suppression with government/industry collaboration and conspiracy.

But that isn't what you postulated. You asked how many companies Vagabond, as a private citizen created.

As for the left being butthurt or whatever about what's allowed on Twitter now, can one deny the Holocaust? Call out Israel for being a leech? Exposing the corruption in Ukraine without being banned?

Might want to think about your answer.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:33 am

Tarkan wrote:
Alphabet wrote:
Tarkan wrote:So, on the topic of Musk, Vagabond, how many billion dollar companies have you created? You can very easily make the argument that either he or Bezos or both are the two biggest entrepreneurs of our age. And Musk did it primarily by disrupting the auto industry which had huge incumbent advantages (the dealer model, for example in many states is protected in law - no selling direct to consumers), and the space launch industry which isn’t exactly easy to break into. Musk pretty much by himself drove the Russians to the margins of the space launch business. 8 years ago they owned half of it.

Yes, yes, it’s his companies and not him, which is why all those things happened before he ever started Tesla or Space-X.

Oh, fuck off. How many millions in subsidies did Musk get from the American taxpayer?

I love the shit he's doing, but don't come in here and act like he started out selling lemonade at a stand outside his parents house.

Fact is, people like Vagabond just loooooooved Musk when he was their electric car darling. The left didn't start shitting on Musk until he bought Twitter and exposed all the bullshit their side was doing with speech suppression with government/industry collaboration and conspiracy.

Nah dude, I've not liked him or anyone associated with PayPal for a while. I was ok with the idea of Tesla and all-electric vehicles but actually hearing about how they work - no thanks. I know there's a lot of software in modern cars but what I DON'T want is someone programmer shipping software to update my car all the time. Not to mention the false advertising of "self-driving" stuff that has gotten people killed. The other point, which applies to almost all manufacturers though some are moving away from it, are the touch screen consoles you have to use to control everything. That's more of a personal thing. Back to Musk - you always have to be suspicious of someone, especially in SV, whose ass is getting kissed all the time. We've already started to see behind his Wizard of Oz curtain.

I don't have to create a billion dollar (on paper) company to call bullshit on someone. Also, I was calling bullshit on the 'greatest entrepreneur of era' thing from the guy on a podcast. It's a bit different. What Musk HAS been great at is self-mythologizing. He's another kid that started on first (parents' emerald mine). If he was able to say "Yeah, thank you US gov't for helping fund so many of my ventures" instead of being a dick, that might have balanced out some of his other shit.

I'm just tired of assholes.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:59 am

Alphabet wrote:
Tarkan wrote:
Alphabet wrote:

But that isn't what you postulated. You asked how many companies Vagabond, as a private citizen created.

As for the left being butthurt or whatever about what's allowed on Twitter now, can one deny the Holocaust? Call out Israel for being a leech? Exposing the corruption in Ukraine without being banned?

Might want to think about your answer.

I dunno what you can say on Twitter dude, I'm still banned on Twitter for saying Fauci needed to be hung from a gibbet.

I'm not saying Musk is anyone's savior, he's obviously a narcissistic autist but I'd say he's a little less evil than Bill Gates and George Soros, and it's always easy to criticize. It's pretty fucking hard to do what he's done, even if he's done it with mostly hype and filling in the details later. What Space-X has done to launch costs is pretty fucking amazing.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:01 am

vagabond wrote:
Tarkan wrote:
Alphabet wrote:

Nah dude, I've not liked him or anyone associated with PayPal for a while. I was ok with the idea of Tesla and all-electric vehicles but actually hearing about how they work - no thanks. I know there's a lot of software in modern cars but what I DON'T want is someone programmer shipping software to update my car all the time. Not to mention the false advertising of "self-driving" stuff that has gotten people killed. The other point, which applies to almost all manufacturers though some are moving away from it, are the touch screen consoles you have to use to control everything. That's more of a personal thing. Back to Musk - you always have to be suspicious of someone, especially in SV, whose ass is getting kissed all the time. We've already started to see behind his Wizard of Oz curtain.

I don't have to create a billion dollar (on paper) company to call bullshit on someone. Also, I was calling bullshit on the 'greatest entrepreneur of era' thing from the guy on a podcast. It's a bit different. What Musk HAS been great at is self-mythologizing. He's another kid that started on first (parents' emerald mine). If he was able to say "Yeah, thank you US gov't for helping fund so many of my ventures" instead of being a dick, that might have balanced out some of his other shit.

I'm just tired of assholes.

Most people are assholes. I'm an asshole a lot of the time. Catch me at the right moment, and I'm an awesome guy, catch me at the wrong moment, and I'm an asshole. When you are a billionaire attention whore, all your worst moments are in the public spot light. It's like being Hillary Clinton, but with more money.

I grew up pretty much hating wealthy people and it’s still burned pretty deeply into my psyche so I get the general dislike and certainly am not into the whole hero worship thing. I was thinking Tesla was a bubble back in the $100 stock days (for the record, I also thought Bitcoin was a bubble back when it was $100…I managed not to lose a single dollar on Bitcoin and also managed not to be able to retire on Bitcoin when I tried to set up a miner when you could generate around a BC per day and gave up one night after working on it for four hours and never went back to it).
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:59 pm

Side hustle makes it sound like I'm selling dime bags, fake rolexes or feet pix. Way too lazy for any of that. I didn't even bother with the home-made bread during lock-down, same with getting a pet or learning new stuff.

Feel like my day job was already overpaid, keep getting raises but hey, you don't hear me not complaining. Close to no tax on capital gains over here, everything else gets squeezed hard so it's an easy choice.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Alphabet » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:57 pm

el3so wrote:Side hustle makes it sound like I'm selling dime bags, fake rolexes or feet pix. Way too lazy for any of that. I didn't even bother with the home-made bread during lock-down, same with getting a pet or learning new stuff.

Feel like my day job was already overpaid, keep getting raises but hey, you don't hear me not complaining. Close to no tax on capital gains over here, everything else gets squeezed hard so it's an easy choice.

What Pokémon you need bro?

https://youtu.be/sHGRxV90nQ4
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:13 pm

Speaking of "side hustles" Hope no one fell for the NFT shit.

Right now the "Bored Ape" guys are suing another "Ape" NFT but trying to block the defendant's discovery process. The discovery processes might reveal theat they knew damn well they were scamming people and NFT does not cover any rights of ownership in any recognized legal sense of the term.

I really wanted to make the world's most useless digital currency. I would call them "Fucks" and the whole point of them would be once you got a "Fuck Wallet" you could send someone 'Zero Fucks".

I was going use the Dogecoin code as a base but try to modify it so the hashes got easier as time went one and the payouts got bigger. The goal was to make sure that more processing power was spent storing fucks than mining fucks.

That was the part of the code I could not get.

The other part was that instead of having anonymous currency that payment would revealing phone billing information, name, number IMEI and current location. Using fucks in any way shape or form other than sending someone "Zero" would basically steal your identity.

The thing is I bet some asshole would have traded them and made a few $100k somehow.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:20 pm

Zero fucks would actually blow up I'd guess.

I'd throw money at it.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:27 pm

Alphabet wrote:Zero fucks would actually blow up I'd guess.

I'd throw money at it.

If I did not have a real job doing "Computery Stuff" (starting to hate the term IT) I would have applied myself to it. The best part of it would be to send people nothing and have them know you sent nothing or send them like 500,000,000,000,000,000 fucks for posting a picture of their dog.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:30 pm

JFC.
I'd rather get caught jerking off in a morgue than being seen dressed like that.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby el3so » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:40 pm

Kurt wrote: NFT
Have to admit the only word in your post I understood was hash. That's some kind of a "potato for breakfast" recipe, right?
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:15 pm

el3so wrote:
Kurt wrote: NFT
Have to admit the only word in your post I understood was hash. That's some kind of a "potato for breakfast" recipe, right?

I wish. PFB is the best kind of potato.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe