I had no idea who Andrew Tate was

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Postby el3so » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:28 pm

ROB wrote: my social media feed
That's them "suggested for you articles" that my phone keeps trying to have me read, right? Yeah, no, don't care, I'm not looking at a screen while out in public just to pass time and avoid human interaction.

Best algorithms are probably those running on adult entertainment sites.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: I had no idea who Andrew Tate was

Postby ROB » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:29 pm

I'm not looking at a screen while out in public just to pass time and avoid human interaction.

I sure as fuck am.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:08 pm

ROB wrote:
I'm not looking at a screen while out in public just to pass time and avoid human interaction.

I sure as fuck am.

Just don't be one of these mfers that does it while crossing the street and never looking up. Some people seem to be literally glued to'm.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

"If you're stupid, the whole world is a dangerous place." - friendlyskies
vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:52 pm

vagabond wrote:Just don't be one of these mfers that does it while crossing the street and never looking up. Some people seem to be literally glued to'm.

Haha, that is actually one of my pet hates. I intentionally scare those people when I see them do it.

It's an honest living.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:24 pm

ROB wrote:
vagabond wrote:Just don't be one of these mfers that does it while crossing the street and never looking up. Some people seem to be literally glued to'm.

Haha, that is actually one of my pet hates. I intentionally scare those people when I see them do it.

It's an honest living.

I'm ok with that. Scare them with a horn. Maybe they'll learn. Saw some girl at a ped crossing in the middle of a wide open 6-lane street. Signal turned and she stepped out, not looking either direction, head stuck in the phone. I'm all for making places more cycle/ped friendly but if that's NOT how things are where you live, you can't be a moron and stay alive long.
"If you were born near someplace called "The Erg of ____" you lost the lottery." - Kurt the Wise

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:34 am

The worst are those who text while driving, especially on the freeway.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:12 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:The worst are those who text while driving, especially on the freeway.

Another reason why I'm against all the touchscreen modules - need less distractions and more intuitive physical interfaces than 'entertainment centers' and the like.

I'm sure I'm a shit driver in other respects but the worst I've done when it comes to phones is text at a stoplight.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:59 am

Romanian govt stealing more of his assets, with zero proof of any crime.

But Cardi B gets a pass because she has a vagina.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:30 am

Alphabet wrote:Romanian govt stealing more of his assets, with zero proof of any crime.

Meh, you can't go to a country and boast about how it has lax devotion to the law and then complain about it having lax devotion to the law. That is the sandpit you chose to play in...
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:45 am

ROB wrote:
Alphabet wrote:Romanian govt stealing more of his assets, with zero proof of any crime.

Meh, you can't go to a country and boast about how it has lax devotion to the law and then complain about it having lax devotion to the law. That is the sandpit you chose to play in...

You have a point, but asset forfeiture before conviction is wrong. So is bail.

I don't give a fuck if you're an Arab driving through Tennessee, an Asian driving through Texas, a White guy in Florida, or a Black man in Romania with piles of cash in your car in a "drug corridor". It's wrong until proven guilty.

So is some random person making a claim, and you having to eat shit until something is proven.

Period.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:01 am

Alphabet wrote:You have a point, but asset forfeiture before conviction is wrong. So is bail.

Oh for sure.

But the only places that will play out in your favour (or at least fairly) is a small handful of wealthy, western democracies.

I think the thing this shenanigans shows is that the idea that you can move to a shit hole and suddenly be one of the elite there is an utter misunderstanding of the dynamic that is playing out for you.

At best, you can put yourself under the social protection of a patron (who you hope actually IS a "top g" in that country). And that comes with strings.

If you want actual protection for your stuff, you're only going to get that within the confines of one of those restrictive democracies that you moved away from. And then only sometimes.

Swings and roundabouts.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:14 am

ROB wrote:
Alphabet wrote:You have a point, but asset forfeiture before conviction is wrong. So is bail.

Oh for sure.

But the only places that will play out in your favour (or at least fairly) is a small handful of wealthy, western democracies.

I think the thing this shenanigans shows is that the idea that you can move to a shit hole and suddenly be one of the elite there is an utter misunderstanding of the dynamic that is playing out for you.

At best, you can put yourself under the social protection of a patron (who you hope actually IS a "top g" in that country). And that comes with strings.

If you want actual protection for your stuff, you're only going to get that within the confines of one of those restrictive democracies that you moved away from. And then only sometimes.

Swings and roundabouts.

I don't know what world you live in, but there is no "fair" in Western democracies.

US for example:

Pulled over with "too much cash?" You'll spend 3x as much trying to get it back.

Have a bad break up with a girlfriend, or a dispute with a family member? Own a firearm? One phone call from either and you're automatically red flagged. Property and freedom is confiscated, and it's on you to prove your innocence. On your dime.

Fucked a girl who ends up regretting it because her boyfriend or husband found out? Rape. You're automatically guilty. She gets a pussy pass

Zero repercussions for false accusations.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:11 am

So where has better property rights?

Not saying it's perfect by any stretch (and I sure as shit wouldn't put the US at the head of that class), but I'd rather own an asset in Canada than in Romania.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby vagabond » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:08 pm

ROB wrote:So where has better property rights?

Not saying it's perfect by any stretch (and I sure as shit wouldn't put the US at the head of that class), but I'd rather own an asset in Canada than in Romania.

Exactly. It's why people from places where the gov't can swoop and take your stuff put their money in assets in Canada, the US, UK, etc. Convert whatever legit or illegitimate money you have into real estate or other types of relatively stable holdings.

You're right about playing stupid games in flaunting that stuff and calling out the powers that be. Keep under the radar and no one cares.

I think Alphabet is more focused on the BS that happens to poor folks who their cash swiped by podunk PD vs where this guy stands.

vagabond
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:23 pm

vagabond wrote:I think Alphabet is more focused on the BS that happens to poor folks who their cash swiped by podunk PD vs where this guy stands.

It's a very legitimate concern. I just wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe