Remember when Mil-Bloggers Hyped Iraq?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Remember when Mil-Bloggers Hyped Iraq?

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:35 pm

Wonder what happened to those guys?

Betcha they don't post about how the Hippies were right.

Anyway, it seems Russia has a creative solution to their Milblogger problem.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65155075
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Remember when Mil-Bloggers Hyped Iraq?

Postby Kurt » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:56 pm

Heh. I remember there was much jeans creaming over Michael Yon.

His twitter feed is talking about how transexuals are marks of the beast because 4 or 5 of the 2400+ mass shooters identified as trans or non-binary.
He seems to really, really hate gay people.
He also hates Vaccinated people. He calls vaccines "Death Jabs" and links to a story about a horse stolen for it's meat...not sure how that relates but I guess it does.

This guy was like super reputable from 2003 to 2008.

Susan Katz Keating's website is now a "Celebrity Net Worth" click bait site. She joined this site at one point to bitch at RYP for something or another.

Our own Jumper's website was last updated in 2020 when Trump pardoned Blackwater dudes.

I suppose if they all went back to the now non lucrative world of Milblogging it would be like "3 Reasons The Iraq War Was Not So Bad (The Liberals don't want you to see this!) "
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:48 am

The thing is that mil blogging kinda draws the same crowd as conspiracy blogging. But conspiracy blogging is WAY more lucrative. So they have a huge incentive to make the leap.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:10 am

In 2003 and 2004 I came across this weird group of anti-anti-war "posters".

The "ringleader" was a system administrator for a defense subcontractor that did "Orbital Tube Welding" for Boeing.

But,

They were White Guy owned. So the System Administrator "recruited" Women, Minority, Disabled and Veteran run businesses to buy into the Orbital Tube Welding gold mine. So there were Lawn care companies converted to Orbital Tube Welding Sub-Sub Contractors as was a home jewelry making business a company that bent galvanized sheet metal into HVAC ducts and a small engine repair company.

Then a gang in internet trolls were released into the wild to go after leftists and take down websites, phone numbers etc. by faking harrassment from the phone numbers and by uploading massive files and then downloading them over and over again so that the places would go bankrupt with web services bills.

The thing is I was never able to directly connect the online trolls to a defense subcontractor selling "Turn Key" Orbital Tube Welders.

But it always made me wonder about Milbloggers and if there was some kind of MLM "Milblog For $$$" thing pumping up Iraq to keep that cash coming in.

Considering how much money was made, even investing in something stupid run by dipshits was probably an investment worth making.

The thing is if I decided to run a news site based off of public records of various city hall and city council meetings with a quick write up of my own analysis (boring but could be useful) I would spend money to do it.

If I made a website exposing the cabal of pedophiles that eat children during city council meetings I would make money.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:17 am

But it always made me wonder about Milbloggers and if there was some kind of MLM "Milblog For $$$" thing pumping up Iraq to keep that cash coming in.

Wouldn't need to be formal. I can target your website as an advertiser and make sure you get a lot of money through third parties without you ever knowing who I am.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:17 pm

ROB wrote:

Wouldn't need to be formal. I can target your website as an advertiser and make sure you get a lot of money through third parties without you ever knowing who I am.

That's how to do it now. Back then I think it might have been "Hey, I couldn't help but notice you are a Milblogger. Here is some money."

Which could even be harder to trace, especially if they had a completely unrelated company for "Consulting" or something.

Of course there are "Books" too. Write a shit book, have some "organization" mass buy it and Boom, you are best selling author and you have just gotten paid ...as a writer.

That is what "Protest Warrior" founders Kfir Alfia and Alan Lipton did. Alfia now runs a "Customer Feedback App" and is a "Manager" for a Saudi Arabian "Events" company (Not weird at all) https://maestrogroup.com/

I was trying to figure out what co-founder Alan Lipton has been up to as it seems he dropped off the face of the earth. Turns out he did drop off the face of the earth in 2011 when he died.

I remember in 2004 running into these guys on 34th st. Surrounded by Media (MTV was embedded with the Protest Warriors then) and they had like 20 people. Meanwhile the 30,000+ that were protesting the war were ignored until someone lit a dumpster on fire on Madison Avenue and a puppet exploded. Weird times.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:27 pm

Damn...

If I am reading this right. Alan Lipton started a crime spree in 2007, like an actual one man crime spree. Assault with intent to harm, multiple felony thefts. Crimes in Texas and Los Angeles and then it all stops in late 2009. Which is when I assume he went to prison. (perhaps in Colorado where he died.

This might explain why Protest Warrior announced Protest Warrior 2.0 in 2007 and then it just fizzled because one of them went on a multiyear crime spree and the other guy started working with Saudis.

Its funny because I knew these guys were totally full of shit.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:16 am

Here’s the problem with blogging as a profession: you might have some decent insight about some topically relevant shit (or not), you might even be able to blog about it effectively, but continually creating decent content to grow an audience and keep your existing audience while pimping enough product to keep the lights on is a lot harder than say, be an enthusiast and generating content with no expectation of payback.

It’s sort of like how people get conned into opening a restaurant because they are good cooks. Being able to make good food and being able to run a restaurant business at a profit are two mostly different skill sets.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Alphabet » Wed May 24, 2023 2:31 am

They've mostly shored themselves up in echo chambers like Arfcom general discussion and Guardians of Valor (used to be called This ain't hell, but they can't seem to figure out DNS changes, because commies and nazis.)

Not exaggerating. It's post after post about trannies, seeing phallic symbols in literally everything, Disney being groomers, re watching Red Dawn, Band of Brothers, The Patriot, Braveheart and Hunt for Red October for the 200th time.

Crying about their 20 year old dog dying. Praying for Jesus to return. If you disagree with them, you're either a Communist or a Nazi (depending on their day and mood, and especially if you're Libertarian, which makes you a Nazi and Commie all at once somehow.) Love their guns and fuck the ATF, but never miss a chance to ponder why law enforcement isn't clamping down on inner city kids having Glock switches, cuz that's different. Praying for CW2, even though most of them wouldn't last a week without their CPAP And of course, pot needles and marijuana being literally the demise of Western Civilization.

Etc..etc..etc..Kinda sad because they both used to have a lot of good technical data, but now it's just boomer Hell and grandpa Simpson on steriods.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Wed May 24, 2023 3:07 am

Tarkan wrote:but continually creating decent content to grow an audience and keep your existing audience while pimping enough product to keep the lights on is a lot harder than say, be an enthusiast and generating content with no expectation of payback.

The beauty of conspiracy blogging is that it's basically writing fiction while riffing off the most emotional news. Think Alex Jones - it's very easy to spout that kind of shit and combined with Facebook's algorithm in 2019-2020, you were basically guaranteed an audience.

Shit that algorithm was insane. A single guy working for himself built one of those "viral" sites into one of the dozen biggest sites on the planet back then, simply off that shitty algorithm. ViralNova. Insane story.

I am sure it's harder these days, but conspiracy goes with the internet like strawberries and cream.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

remember when

Postby el3so » Wed May 24, 2023 9:27 pm

Alphabet wrote:grandpa Simpson on steriods
That man is a hero. Damn near single-handedly killed Hitler.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re: remember when

Postby Alphabet » Thu May 25, 2023 6:47 pm

el3so wrote:
Alphabet wrote:grandpa Simpson on steriods
That man is a hero. Damn near single-handedly killed Hitler.

That was Cotton Hill. He also killed fiddy tojos. (After his shins got shot off.)
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:57 am

Update on Michael Yon. He is now at the Take Back Our Borders convoy / rally and ranting about the Jews funding immigrants.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe