Anyone in Central or South America?

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Anyone in Central or South America?

Postby jack2023 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:05 am

Hello everyone.

I am from the US, but have been traveling abroad for about 25 years. If anyone is in this area or interested in it, maybe I can help you out.

I get my big pension next year and intend to hit Vietnam, Thailand (where I have the body of a god), Lao and Cambodia.

Best regards.
jack2023

Re: Anyone in Central or South America?

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:32 pm

I just flew a helicopter all through Mexico, Central America and down the West coast of South America to Chile. I'm here now and might fly the helicopter back to Canada next week. Been dropping water on forest fires but its cooled off and the fires are pretty much done for the season. Waiting for word. I worked a lot in Suriname and Guyana as well. SAR contracts.

Peru was very cool. We are looking at a contract in the jungle on the East side of the range.

No time this tour, but next year (we've got the contract for 2 years at least) I'll get down to Torres del Paine for some serious fly fishing.

https://www.darcyhooverphotos.ca/Firefighting-in-Chile/i-6kn584c/A
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby jack2023 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:05 pm

LOL! What an incredible picture! Thanks!

I liked Peru a lot. My two remaining countries I want to visit in South America are Brazil and Paraguay. I am getting my residency here in Colombia, but will likely have to leave for a year.

Are you a pilot or a crew chief (respect to either)? I had a couple good Army buddies who flew on Plan Colombia and I am retired Infantry and as such, am very grateful to helicopter pilots and crew for obvious reasons.

Nice to meet you and thanks for an incredible picture!
jack2023

Postby Darcy » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:50 pm

Pilot.

Colombia is beautiful. We crawled low level up over the jungles and through the mountains from Panama City to Medellin, then down through to Cali, then hopped over the range down to the coast for Ecuador. I want to spend more time there. My buddy goes on fishing charters on the Pacific side from time to time.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:19 pm

Welcome to the board Jack.

Colombia is definitely a favorite here. Its been 19 years now for me. Way too long.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby jack2023 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:53 pm

Thank you Kurt.

Darcy, I think we prowled the same ground. Again, I was the dumb ass on the ground sometimes trying to sound brave calling for help from helos and you guys showed up.

Guess I owe you a (cheap) beer or three LOL.

Salute.
jack2023

Postby Darcy » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:04 am

jack2023 wrote:Thank you Kurt.

Darcy, I think we prowled the same ground. Again, I was the dumb ass on the ground sometimes trying to sound brave calling for help from helos and you guys showed up.

Guess I owe you a (cheap) beer or three LOL.

Salute.

Don't owe me a thing Mate, I was having fun. Lots of Africa and places in the ME I can't talk about, and just enough Europe to not like the place, except maybe Prague
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby jack2023 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:54 pm

Understand on the OPSEC issues.

You still (mandatorily) get a beer on me for being a helo guy. I got some rides that I probably didnt deserve from you people LOL.

One, in semi-peacetime, a US Pilot was able to put one wheel on a hilltop and we low crawled into the bird. If you stood up, you would have gotten your head chopped off and that pilot saved our asses. That feeling of cool air and not waliking anymore is something near and dear.
You let met know if you get to my AO (please).

Salute and best regards. FYI, google a song called SKY PILOT! Take care Wildman and thank you for your pictures and posts.
jack2023

Return to Black Flag Cafe