James Price / James Grey / Death Valley Magazine fraud

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: James Price / James Grey / Death Valley Magazine fraud

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:14 am

El Pelon wrote:Fear not, HASF (they were still DART then I think) and La Cima's funds never co-mingled.

That is a relief. Jame's delay tactic probably worked for any tax evasion stuff (Statute of Limitations of six years in the USA) but if the IRS would want to go back for for Fraud for Civil stuff....that would mean no statutes of limitations would apply but no convictions would be seen as Criminal.

El Pelon wrote:Ephraim, the SEAL in the video is the real deal. He's busting his butt to get a jungle ambulance gig running in the Black Zones in Burma. He stepped away from FBR, but he is still giving all he's got to serve the oppressed. He has rigged up a butt ton of Hiluxes to haul folks to the EMA or JSMK clinics.

I believe you.

Also it is fortunate that he is no longer with White Mountain Research

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/contr ... im-mattos/

White Mountain Research is a company that seems to make money by providing assistance to The Blessing Project.

Scroll down for "Meet The Board"

https://www.theblessingprojects.org/

Now here:

https://www.wmrgroup.com/about

Yep, it's got Gorkas.

And a very similar board (Teri Moy = Teri Attalah)

And both Non-Profit and the For Profit Hired By The Non-Profit have the same address in Moran Wyoming. The Fax number is listed as a private number (Rudy Attalah) in Reston VA but it goes to Buffalo Fork Ranch, also in Moran Wyoming (Teri "Attalah" "Moy"'s residence). The actual phone number for both Profit and Non-Profit is a Google managed phone number assigned to Massachusetts but can terminate anywhere if a voip softphone is used.

The Blessing Project pulls in about $1 million per year to provide "supplies" to the impoverished Masai of Kenya. The Masai are nomads with a lot of cattle and as we know in Africa cattle are worth nothing (sarcasm....BIG sarcasm) and they hire White Mountain Research Group to help them so they can build wealthy cattleherders a corrugated iron school/church so they can sit at a desk and learn instead of following the cows and practice their studies in the sand with sticks.

But this is kind of typical. "Logistics and Training" tied to a Non-Profit where the players are the same as the for profit.

What is disturbing is that it takes zero effort to see this. It is endemic in the world of Ex Mil guys who run a charity where they work overseas.

You should see the Atallah / Moy house in Moran Wyoming (yes, that is the name). It looks like John Wayne fucked a hot tub.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby El Pelon » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:26 am

FWIW, they are actually there (In Karen State) and they are making a difference. My guy is CONUS at the moment, but he's heading inside in a couple of weeks. He will most certainly cross paths with Ephraim at some point in the next few months. If anything looks like it's going sideways, I'll let y'all know.
https://strongholdrescue.org/?ss_source ... 3A15%3A02Z
El Pelon
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:55 am

Sure, but will they respect my pronouns?
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ejackson1075 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:59 pm

Greeting all.

I'm the Eric Jackson named above. Another team mate came across this and sent me the link. There's way too much detail to go through point by point, but having lived with James for almost 2 years, I know a thing or two about him.

What I can say about DVM/HASF is during the time I was there, everything was above board to the team's knowledge. Where things went sideways was where James failed to mention that our non profit sponsorship was revoked and he spent the last 6 months with the team not paying any bills and evidently siphoning the money into his personal accounts. This includes the nearly 10K that was raised with that raffle. Regarding the raffle, I will say that nobody on the team knew that raffle was illegal except James. Things came to a head when we asked James why the accounts were empty and he went on the very public drunken rampage to destroy the organization we had all spent years building up to be legitimate. That was when I transferred the VA corp registration to my name in a last ditch effort to salvage the team, but to make a long story short, everybody was too burned out to continue and we went our separate ways.

What I can say is the mission to Honduras and the mission to Iraq were legitimate, and good stuff was done, and they were not in "safe" places. I joined the team at a time that I was pretty thoroughly broken and borderline suicidal, and I say this not to brag, but simply as a matter of fact, I liquidated my house, 401k, savings, etc to make HASF happen. I funded the bulk of the Honduras mission in 2016 and about half of the Iraq mission in 2017. Another team member funded another huge portion of the Iraq mission. Both missions happened as claimed.

What else I'll say is while James was scammy to say the least, he felt justified in acting that way to do charity work. Doesn't make any of it okay, but he was a shade of grey and not all black. Importantly, he was IMO (I'm not qualified to diagnose anybody) a grandiose narcissist who had a declining grasp of reality that hit a turning point during the Iraq mission. He was so unhinged in Iraq, one of the team members resigned right after. From that mission forward he seemed to decline more by the month until some time mid summer when he decided to backstab the entire team and stopped paying rent on the warehouse or any utilities while claiming he was doing so. He was in Texas chasing that Yazidi contract when we found out rent hadn't been payed in months, and when the contract fell through, he took off to his girlfriend's place in Texas and left the team hanging until we called him on it, and it all unraveled. It wasn't until we called Social Good Fund that we found out they had severed ties for failure to report fund usage (which was beyond stupid because I've personally seen and still have some of the receipts - he was just too lazy to do his paperwork).
ejackson1075

Postby Kurt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:47 am

ejackson1075 wrote:Greeting all.

I'm the Eric Jackson named above. Another team mate came across this and sent me the link. There's way too much detail to go through point by point, but having lived with James for almost 2 years, I know a thing or two about him.

What I can say about DVM/HASF is during the time I was there, everything was above board to the team's knowledge. Where things went sideways was where James failed to mention that our non profit sponsorship was revoked and he spent the last 6 months with the team not paying any bills and evidently siphoning the money into his personal accounts. This includes the nearly 10K that was raised with that raffle. Regarding the raffle, I will say that nobody on the team knew that raffle was illegal except James. Things came to a head when we asked James why the accounts were empty and he went on the very public drunken rampage to destroy the organization we had all spent years building up to be legitimate. That was when I transferred the VA corp registration to my name in a last ditch effort to salvage the team, but to make a long story short, everybody was too burned out to continue and we went our separate ways.

What I can say is the mission to Honduras and the mission to Iraq were legitimate, and good stuff was done, and they were not in "safe" places. I joined the team at a time that I was pretty thoroughly broken and borderline suicidal, and I say this not to brag, but simply as a matter of fact, I liquidated my house, 401k, savings, etc to make HASF happen. I funded the bulk of the Honduras mission in 2016 and about half of the Iraq mission in 2017. Another team member funded another huge portion of the Iraq mission. Both missions happened as claimed.

What else I'll say is while James was scammy to say the least, he felt justified in acting that way to do charity work. Doesn't make any of it okay, but he was a shade of grey and not all black. Importantly, he was IMO (I'm not qualified to diagnose anybody) a grandiose narcissist who had a declining grasp of reality that hit a turning point during the Iraq mission. He was so unhinged in Iraq, one of the team members resigned right after. From that mission forward he seemed to decline more by the month until some time mid summer when he decided to backstab the entire team and stopped paying rent on the warehouse or any utilities while claiming he was doing so. He was in Texas chasing that Yazidi contract when we found out rent hadn't been payed in months, and when the contract fell through, he took off to his girlfriend's place in Texas and left the team hanging until we called him on it, and it all unraveled. It wasn't until we called Social Good Fund that we found out they had severed ties for failure to report fund usage (which was beyond stupid because I've personally seen and still have some of the receipts - he was just too lazy to do his paperwork).

Thanks Eric,

So the donations to the Social Good Fund for DART/HASF were from you guys?

If so, report it to someone in Law Enforcement. I know it is tough to rat dudes out who you have had a relationship with but it is more to protect others in the future once he gets his Third Wind (I believe he ran a bogus Orphans charity in Jakarta with his now ex-wife Rini) As far as getting conned goes, that is the thing....Anyone can get conned.

I tracked petty conmen businesses for years. My wife does construction cost control for the WTC site and we both got conned for about $40k with shitty construction companies that pretended they were another. Why? Because they told us what we wanted to hear: "We will do good work on your house renovation and do it within your budget" ...that plus some re-assurances was all that was needed to dupe people who eat guys like this for a snack in the morning while at work.

James got me to remove posts critical of him though I knew they were true...so I got conned in a minor way. He conned El Pelon and La Cima by offering webhosting and website maintenance. (at first).

As people like James get older they run out of options for money so they tend to move on to "older women" and then extra mortgages are had, etc. etc. and you get the rest. That is who needs protecting, and if you report this to Law Enforcement that is who you will protect. There wont be any tangible and immediate rewards, there won't be glasses full of whisky clinking afterwards but it's still worthy to do.

Was a guy named G. Scott Taulbee with your group? Did he fork over cash?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:04 am

btw...Thanks for the Texas tip.

234 Roscoe Lane,
Goliad Texas,
77963-3627

Its fairly recent but may not be 100%

He also gets mail delivered to his sister's place.

2603 Northwind Dr,
Henrico, VA 23233-3315
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ejackson1075 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:37 am

Kurt wrote:So the donations to the Social Good Fund for DART/HASF were from you guys?

There were lots of small donations raised for Honduras and Iraq, but the largest of the donations was from selling my house, so yes. The team was seeded with 30k (also from myself) in cash used for rent and living expenses in the initial months of the team. The last 10K of that and (IIRC) 24K to SGF (my house was owned in my ex father in law's name after I short sold a house in 2010 so my equity was donated to SGF to avoid paying income taxes) was what funded most of Honduras and part of Iraq. A good portion of Iraq was funded by team member's personal credit cards that were never paid back despite promises that they would be.

Kurt wrote:If so, report it to someone in Law Enforcement. I know it is tough to rat dudes out who you have had a relationship with but it is more to protect others in the future once he gets his Third Wind (I believe he ran a bogus Orphans charity in Jakarta with his now ex-wife Rini) As far as getting conned goes, that is the thing....Anyone can get conned.

I've thought about it, but the more years that go by I'm not sure who I'd report it to or if it would do any good. It would take forensic investigation of 7 year old finances to figure out what truly happened with the money. SGF didn't go after him, IRS was nagging him about other things but not doing anything, and while the local sheriff took us seriously when we reported him as armed dangerous and up to no good, they weren't interested in how he disappeared the last of the teams operating funds (which was at least $15K that was raised in November and the December raffle plus whatever he had funneled from not paying rent or utilities since that July).

Kurt wrote:As people like James get older they run out of options for money so they tend to move on to "older women" and then extra mortgages are had, etc. etc. and you get the rest. That is who needs protecting, and if you report this to Law Enforcement that is who you will protect. There wont be any tangible and immediate rewards, there won't be glasses full of whisky clinking afterwards but it's still worthy to do.

I get this, and if you have a suggested contact for reporting him, I'll do so, but from my observation of James, I'm betting he won't have a third wind in him and is probably an invalid living with relatives if he's even still alive. His mental illness was either legitimate and rapidly deteriorating, or the most impressive year long act I could even fathom. The guy was pitifully nuts by the end. He parted in what appeared to be delusional psychosis. His parting demand letters after he rage quit read like serial killer manifestos. Even his girlfriend cut him off after a few months of dealing with him by sending him home to visit his parents and then telling him not to return once he got there.

Kurt wrote:Was a guy named G. Scott Taulbee with your group? Did he fork over cash?

I don't recognize the name. He definitely wasn't on the team, and that doesn't ring a bell from any donor lists.
ejackson1075

Postby Kurt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:20 pm

Taulbee had an email address with A3 Group. A3 Group USA was James' corporation that he used for everything back in the 00's from his gigs looking for cosplayers at Star Trek conventions to affiliate marketing links, to Civilian Contractor Jobs.

Anyway, Taulbee committed suicide not long ago.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ejackson1075 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:48 pm

Kurt wrote:Taulbee had an email address with A3 Group. A3 Group USA was James' corporation that he used for everything back in the 00's from his gigs looking for cosplayers at Star Trek conventions to affiliate marketing links, to Civilian Contractor Jobs.

Anyway, Taulbee committed suicide not long ago.

I'm aware of the old A3 group, but not everybody that was involved. Condolences for your loss.
ejackson1075

Postby Kurt » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:14 pm

Taulbee was not my loss but he was someone's.

Virginia Attorney General's office is who you contact.

They have a fraud division for charities but this is a bit more complicated since you are both victim and volunteer.
Call them rather than submit a form.

I'll look for a number but there should be one on their website.

Also report the raffle to the IRS. There is a statute of limitations with tax evasion but not financial fraud.

You might want to gather people who were similarly screwed.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:11 pm

804-786-2071

This is the Virginia A.G office for general inquiries.

The terms to use are:

Charitable Misrepresentation (It was not a charity, it relied on "Donations" from Volunteers and those donations were used in personal accounts.)

Illegal Fundraising: The raffle. Not legal to do in Virginia even if money is going to the charity but since it went to James alone, it is very illegal fundraising.

Tax Fraud: Claimed to be a charity, but it was not. That's a simple one.

Self-Payment: HASF needed a certificate for training before volunteers would be permitted to go on a mission. That was offered by the Private training company James ran.

This is a big one and a really, really common one. It is so common that people think it is actually legal.

So, for example. Legit Charity (La Cima Missions here) use El Pelon as a dentist. El Pelon has a dental practice. But That dental practice may not bill La Cima for dentistry done on missions. That would be self-payment since El Pelon is an officer of that Charity.

What will likely happen is James is reading this. He will then go "Oh shit" and contact people and ask them not to report it because "everyone will be in trouble".

Not true. As an officer of a charity, even a made up one that you believe to be real, there is a duty to report fraud. Therefore any report would be protected as Whistleblower activity.

It might be possible to be liable by not reporting it (if someone else does).

Anyway, the offices are closed on MLK day so no calls can be made until Tuesday. Having an email with things written down in their hands would be a good thing as well, then they can refer to the writing as sometimes phone calls are easy to forget with the details and sometimes the point is missed with a phone call.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:33 am

Btw...There are now seven criminal investigations into Tim Ballard.

Unless it is direct medical I think that it might be good to do a moratorium on "saving children" for a bit. Sorta like when Illinois discovered how many people were put on Death row by that one cop who faked evidence, made up confessions and gave false testimony.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:56 pm

Anyone call the VA AG?

Anyway, Apparently an SLC tv station is doing a story tonight where they interview O.U.R employees who speculate that not a single child was saved by them. Should be on Channel 13 in SLC tonight.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Kurt wrote:Anyone call the VA AG?

Anyway, Apparently an SLC tv station is doing a story tonight where they interview O.U.R employees who speculate that not a single child was saved by them. Should be on Channel 13 in SLC tonight.

SLC as in Salt Lake City? The Mormons don’t like MAGA folk or their ilk. They seriously don’t like Trump.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:25 pm

seektravelinfo wrote:
Kurt wrote:Anyone call the VA AG?

SLC as in Salt Lake City? The Mormons don’t like MAGA folk or their ilk. They seriously don’t like Trump.

O.U.R is MAGA-ish but it is more opportunist towards whomever gave them attention and believed their nonsense. But they are not LDS. They have a Latter Day Saint veneer but with tons of new age shit thrown in.

On the same tooic anyone have video of JITW meeting with Glen Beck and pitching the rescue mission that never happened?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

PreviousNext

Return to Black Flag Cafe